Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Why not Home Protection for Linux?

Options

Hello there

I found out that home security protection was discontinued for Linux, and I don't know the reason, but it would be great if you bring it back.

Nowadays, there are people that prefer to use Linux Desktop and they want to be protected.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Well in short, as per the information that I had received earlier from the community forum administrator, the market margin for linux is still less as compared to mac and windows, hence bitdefender discontinued the linux version for home user.

Currently there are no thoughts on releasing any linux product for home users. The linux product is only available for business/enterprise users.

More information can be provided by @Alexandru_BD, @Mike_BD

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks Flexx

Nevertheless, there are no a lot of options in the market. You would be able to find some free options like Clamav, but they are no compare with paid antivirus.

From my humble opinion, it would be great that bit defender offers that option to its clients. It would stand out of the rest antivirus providers.

In my case, I paid for the family protection and some of my devices are in Linux desktop, so I couldn't protect all, but at least I've been happy with its performance in the rest of the devices so far.

Thanks

• Flexx
    Options

Well since bitdefender does not have a linux product for home user, you can either go with kaspersky or eset. I would prefer eset since it has excellent detection when it comes to detecting linux malware.

Regards

• As far as I know, those companies just offer endpoint solutions for Linux. They don't have home protection.

It is the same situation like bit defender.

Thanks

• Flexx
    edited July 2023
    Options

While kaspersky also provides linux for endpoints like bitdefender but eset has product for linux home users. Below is the link

https://www.eset.com/in/home/antivirus-linux/download/

Regards

• Josefrank21
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks Flexx

However, ESET discontinued the home edition for Linux. If you go to that page and scroll down, you would see this info:

ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX DESKTOP is no longer in limited support and currently receives no support since 3rd August 2022. Learn more

Business users should install ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux or buy it as part of ESET PROTECT Entry.

https://www.eset.com/in/home/antivirus-linux/download/

• Flexx
    Options

Thanks for the correction. I see that all antimalware for linux are available for endpoint users only.

Regards

• I made an account just now just to say that I think this is really dumb. Bitdefender protects Linux by way of the business endpoint solutions (i.e., GravityZone). Honestly considering changing to using that since the prices are fairly similar depending on your license needs.

What kills me is that Bitdefender makes the solution, but then can't be bothered to sell/offer it for home users because it's "too much work for the market share". All they have to do is offer options for the major distros (Ubuntu/Debian, Fedora/RHEL, anything else that has a server and desktop version). I've used Bitdefender for years on my Windows and Android devices, but now that I'm starting to get into using Linux devices Bitdefender is becoming less appealing because it no longer meets my needs.

• Flexx
    Options

In the past, Bitdefender did have antimalware for Linux for home users. Also, there have been many feature requests related to Bitdefender to reintroduce the Linux version for home users. However, according to Bitdefender, due to the smaller number of Linux users compared to Windows and Mac, they currently do not plan to reintroduce the Linux version for home users. The Linux version will currently only be offered to business/enterprise users.

You can still submit your feedback using the provided link, and it will be directly transferred to the product developers https://community.bitdefender.com/en/categories/product-features-and-ideation

Regards

• Techguy5
    edited January 5
    Options

Please Bitdefender Home User team, Please re-issue a Bitdefender AV for Linux home user.

I have been working with several people this past year (12/2023), installing and fine tuning Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin). And the only AV product for home user, which is still alive, and is NOT a Command line terminal product, is ClamAV & Clam-TK.

I would love to have a Bitdefender for Linux home user. It does not even have to be free, just reasonably priced for the home user (not a business end-point product).

(I will also post this to the referred link for 'product features and ideation.)

• tech101us
    Options

I would like to add my voice to this request. I am on the cusp of needing to renew my Bitdefender Home subscription (10 devices) and what always holds me back is the lack of support for Linux. I always end up going in search of something that has Linux support. Come-on Bitdefender, how much extra work could it be to add Linux support for the major Linux Distributions (Debian\Ubuntu, Red Hat\Fedora, etc).

• Flexx
    edited April 9
    Options

You can share your request using the dedicated forum link, and it will be directly communicated to the developers (https://community.bitdefender.com/en/categories/product-features-and-ideation)

Regards

• Flexx
    Options

The new update to this post: I got in touch with the Bitdefender support, who further got in touch with Bitdefender developers, and below is what they currently think about Linux antimalware for home users.

Regards