Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Brave Browser protection difference between Home and Enterprise products

Options

Hello,

I know Brave browser is officially not supported by Bitdefender. I tried Brave with Bitdefender Home products like BD TS ans BD Free and saw that Bitdefender is not decrypting HTTPS traffic on sites where it's supposed to.

At the moment, I'm trialing Bitdefender Enterprise product in a VM. BEST Premium with EDR sensor to be exact. I installed Brave for testing and turns out Bitdefender is treating Brave like any other supported browser. It's decrypting HTTPS traffic just fine.

So my question is why Endpoint Products support Brave but home products don't? I find this odd since I don't expect business's to use Brave browser while quite a few home users do.

Attached screenshots show BEST doing its job on Brave browser, including blocking a malicious JavaScript on an infected website.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

From bitdefender support point of view, there is difference between the protection level when it comes to home and enterprise product. Enterprise product have been given more protection and malware detection facilities compared to home products.

Still, I did some research, and I found the following possible explanations:

1) Bitdefender is still working on full support for Brave in Home products. It is possible that Bitdefender is still working on making sure that Bitdefender Home products can fully support Brave. This could include things like ensuring that Bitdefender can decrypt HTTPS traffic on Brave, as well as making sure that Bitdefender's other security features work properly with Brave.

2) Bitdefender does not want to support Brave in Home products because of Brave's ad-blocking features. Brave is a privacy-focused browser that blocks ads by default. This could be a problem for Bitdefender, as Bitdefender makes money from advertising. Bitdefender may not want to support Brave in Home products because they do not want to lose revenue from ad blocking.

3) Bitdefender does not want to support Brave in Home products because of Brave's integrated crypto wallet. Brave has an integrated crypto wallet that allows users to store and manage their cryptocurrencies. This could be a problem for Bitdefender, as Bitdefender does not offer a crypto wallet. Bitdefender may not want to support Brave in Home products because they do not want to compete with Brave's crypto wallet.

Ultimately, the reason why Bitdefender Enterprise products support Brave but Home products do not is unknown. However, the possible explanations that I have listed above are the most likely reasons.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• SeriousHoax
    SeriousHoax ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi! Thanks for the response. TBH, point 2 & 3 doesn't seem plausible to me. Most AV products usually don't want to support anything outside of Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari on Mac because other browsers don't have high enough users at the moment. So they don't want the development team to waste time and resources on supporting niche browsers. Point 1 could be correct, though. Maybe they are testing Bitdefender + Brave combo and might support the browser in the future.

BTW, here's a pro-tip for home users who really want to use Bitdefender without giving up Brave. What you have to do is to rename brave.exe to chrome.exe. When you do this, Bitdefender thinks it's Chrome and performs HTTPS inspection since it's a Chromium based browser. Brave will probably rename itself after an update (I'm not 100% sure but that's logical). So you might have to do this after every Brave update.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)