Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

External hard-drive self ejecting

Options

Hi there

I have an issue that I assumed is a virus (?) I bought Bitdefender thinking it would solve it. It hasn't and I am wondering if it is or if anyone might know or explain what is causing it.

First thing I am on iMac - Quad-Core Intel Core i7 BigSur 11.7.9

The external harddrive a OWC Mercury Elite Pro Duel is self-ejecting and at the same time running - thus not going into sleep mode. A common recommendation to check.

Rebooting the mac also does not reconnect the harddrive - the recommendation was to change ports - that worked for awhile - now I have to unplug the cable from the harddrive for a minute. Then plugging it back in it will then reconnect.

Connecting with OWC support ALSO does not work. lol

As I mentioned I thought this might be a type of virus? So checking here - Any ideas or suggestions as to what is causing this?

Thank you!

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

If you are using a Mac computer, and an external hard drive is self-ejecting and not going into sleep mode, it is possible that your computer is infected with a virus.

There are a few things you can do to check for and remove viruses from your Mac.

1) Update Bitdefender. Make sure that you are using the latest version of Bitdefender. You can check for updates by opening Bitdefender and clicking on the "Update" button.

2) Run a full system scan. Bitdefender offers a full system scan that will scan your entire computer for viruses and other malware. To run a full system scan, open Bitdefender and click on the "Scan" button. Then, select "Full System Scan" and click on the "Start Scan" button.

3) Remove any viruses that are found. If Bitdefender finds any viruses, it will remove them automatically. However, it is always a good idea to manually remove any viruses that are found. To do this, open Bitdefender and click on the "Quarantine" tab. Then, select the virus that you want to remove and click on the "Delete" button.

If you are still having problems with your external hard drive after running a full system scan, it is possible that the hard drive itself is damaged. You can try connecting the hard drive to another computer to see if it works properly. If the hard drive does not work properly on another computer, it is likely that the hard drive is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Here are some additional tips for preventing virus infections on your Mac:

1) Keep your Mac software up to date. Apple regularly releases software updates that include security patches.

2) Be careful about what websites you visit and what files you download. Avoid visiting websites that are known to be malicious and downloading files from unknown sources.

3) Use a firewall and antivirus software. A firewall can help to block unauthorized access to your computer, and antivirus software can help to detect and remove viruses.

If you are still having problems with your Mac, you may want to contact Apple support (https://support.apple.com/) for assistance.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thank you for your email.

Yes - All of the above was done prior to posting on the forum.

I still have to unplug from the USB on the hard=drive to mount it and it still randomly self ejects.

Thanks again.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Based on your selected product and the type of issue you're facing, you can get in touch with a support representative through email, chat, or a phone call.

If you choose email, you will receive a ticket number on your registered email. The support team will reply within the next 24-48 hours, excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)