Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Long malware removal time.

Options

I wonder why Bitdefender takes a long time to delete a malware file even if it is recognized by real-time protection and therefore is in the anti-malware signatures.

While doing some tests I noticed that it takes up to 1 minute.

1 minute to delete a malware file from your desktop? Seems a bit excessive to me....

Other AVs do it in seconds.

I could understand behavioral analysis taking longer for a series of automatic analyzes and checks, but if malware is in the signatures deletion/quarantining should be almost instantaneous.

Can this aspect be improved?

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

This is what I found over the web. Below are the reason stated:

1) The malware file is deeply embedded in the system. In some cases, malware can hide itself in deep system directories or within other files, making it more difficult to remove. Bitdefender may need to take extra time to scan these areas and carefully extract the malware file without damaging other files.

2) The malware file is actively running. If the malware file is currently in use by a process, Bitdefender will need to wait until the process is finished before it can delete the file. This can sometimes take some time, especially if the process is critical to the system's operation.

3) Bitdefender is performing additional analysis on the malware file. In some cases, Bitdefender may need to perform additional analysis on the malware file to determine the best course of action. This analysis can include scanning the file for known patterns, checking the file's behavior, and attempting to decrypt any embedded code.

4) Your computer's hardware resources are limited. If your computer has limited hardware resources, such as RAM or CPU power, Bitdefender may take longer to perform tasks like deleting malware files. This is because the system will have to allocate more resources to the task, which can slow down other processes.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod
    Options

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Cool! 👌

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod
    Options

I return to this topic regarding the tests I carried out on my PC which is obviously not the latest generation and therefore does not have a powerful CPU and RAM but I carried out the same tests with Bitdefender and other AV (Avast). So I ask you a question.

Why does Bitdefender take much longer (almost 1 minute) to remove simple signature-recognized malware (file protection) that is simply saved to the desktop and executed?

Avast antivirus does the same "quarantining" task in just a few seconds (max 5 seconds).

Furthermore, the percentage of the processor also reaches 80%-90% with Bitdefender for almost 1 minute while with Avast it reaches a maximum of 30%-40% for a few seconds (max 5 seconds).

This gap seems disproportionate to me and perhaps Bitdefender should optimize the malware removal procedure in one simple execution.

I'm very curious about your response and if @camarie can report this to the correct department.

Nunzio ·

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Asked the guys which might know more than me. (It will probably take a route to other two teams until I might reply something useful here, since we integrate from a team which integrates from the antimalware team).