Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows is freezed because of Bitdefender

Options

This is happening several times on my computer since last month.

Windows is getting frozen and I just can't work with my computer anymore after that.

To see what the problem is I opened the Task Manager (which takes several seconds to open and refresh the list of apps) and I noticed more than 16 Bitdefender Background Apps running.

Please see the screenshot I attached here.

My system specs:

• Windows 10
  • CPU: intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.80GHz
  • Ram: 16GB DDR5 2400MHz
  • Storage: SSD (there are plenty empty spaces in all drives)

Answers

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Soltani.S ,

Your image seems to show normal BD Task Manager usage.

There are many reasons why computers freeze. If we had specific information about your computer and programs, we might be able to assist you to identify the cause.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Looks like one of the services (most likely VSSERV, but I cannot say from the picture) is consuming 600 MB memory. From the 16 GB, it is important, but not crippling.

The number of processes should not be a worry - they are similar with, say, Windows' own sechost.exe and dllhost.exe: are services and processes separated by functionality to not have just a small of processes under a heavy load but rather having smaller, specialized processes which consumes, as you see, 0%, and perform work only when necessary.

It can be also another causes, such as buggy disk driver - I am mentioning this because on my personal laptop such freezes happens quite often, without having BD installed (with a disk driver and MsMpEng.exe consuming a lot of CPU and memory, far more than what I see in the picture).

Are there events in the System and Application event logs that are Error and/or Warning in a high number? Can you export, zip and attach them perhaps so I can take a look and maybe spot something unusual?

Thanks, Cristian

• garioch7
    Options

@camarie ,

Are you looking at my Task Manager image? I ask that because the image in the OPs' first and only post does not show any individual BD services using 600 MB that I see, whereas I do have an entry at 596 MB on my 32 GB RAM system for bdservicehost in my image.

I am not the one complaining. My understanding is that BD normally consumes about 500 MB of RAM, and I am fine with that.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• camarie
    Options

Oh, I might have been misread the image. Sorry about that, happens when doing remote.

• garioch7
    Options

@camarie ,

Oh, I might have been misread the image. Sorry about that, happens when doing remote.

It happens to the best of us from time to time! 😢 I just did not want you chasing phantoms.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Phil

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

My specs:

Asus X551CA

Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB DDR3, 120GB SATA-III SSD

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 With Latest Windows Updates Installed

Installed On 18.01.2023

OS Build 19045.3803

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

BD Total Security 27.0.25.116

Engine Version 7.95792

Just did a test and wanted to share the results with you:

when idle:

when update in progress:

when system scan in progress:

NOTE: For "System Scan", "Scan task priority" is set to "High", which takes much more resources (CPU, RAM, disk, power) than "Low" and "Auto", but decreases the time needed for the scan process to finish.

Regards.

• camarie
    Options

That looks normal. Scan does a lot of things, it is normal (and not unexpected) to be around 200 MB (and even higher, depending on the number of files/folders).