Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender detected this application as malicious

Options

Good day, I just wanna know if this application that I downloaded is malicious or not.

In the above pic as you can see. this app that I downloaded namely Stardew valley in apkaward, has been detected by bitdefender as malicious. I tried scanning it in the virustotal website, and this two anti-malware detects it as malicious (bitdefender and Symantec mobile insight) I just wanna confirm it. if it's really is dangerous or not. some of the people I know said that this app is safe, but I'm quite worried

so please I be waiting for your answers.

Also here's the link of the site on which I downloaded the app.

[*url removed by @Flexx*]

Tagged:

Answers

• BitDefFan2014
    Options

Try installing it from the Google Play environment and see if you get the same results.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 3
    Options

I will provide you with the information that was suggested by @agozob, who is the malware researcher and product developer for Android at Bitdefender.

According to @agozob, Android.Riskware.TestKey is a generic detection applied to APKs signed with some publicly available certificates. These certificates can be used by anyone to sign an app, such as the default certificate included with Android Studio. While the detection of an APK signed with a test key does not necessarily mean it's malicious (hence the Riskware detection and not Trojan), it should be seen as a warning sign.

Some malware developers use test certificates to hide their identity and avoid detection based on certificates. We generally advise against using such apps and believe it's important for the average user to be aware of them. Additionally, it's worth noting that Google prohibits the publication of applications signed with test keys on the Play Store.

If you believe that a website or file has been incorrectly blocked by Bitdefender, you can share the details with the malware researchers by filling out the form at the link provided below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/

If the website or file is indeed incorrectly blocked, the detection will be removed within a maximum of 72 hours. However, if the detection still persists after 72 hours, kindly consider the website or file as malicious, as determined by our malware researchers, and the detection will remain.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I see then. thank you flexx I recently filled out the form of the link that you send.

About you said BitDefFan2014. it's embarrassing to say this, but as you know this app is not free on google play store. that's why I'm downloading it on google. everybody called it pirating! And since I stopped from school because of money problem I don't have a single penny to pay for it, I know it's unfair to the developer though.

• ANy way one final question. I know it's a little bit out of the topic, but when you download the app without opening/installing it. does that app for example it has virus can that app affect my phone or not? well.... as you can see I downloaded some other app on google without knowing if they where safe, but I haven't installed them yet including this app Stardew valley.

So.... Any thoughts on this?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Here's the thing: the apps you download on your Android device in .apk format are detected by the real-time protection of mobile security. However, if an app bypasses this protection because detection might not be available for it, the app anomaly, which acts as a behavior blocker, comes into play. This feature only activates during app execution, essentially during installation. If the app bypasses the app anomaly detection also, it must be submitted to the malware research team for analysis.

When running a full scan with Bitdefender Mobile Security, it checks for malware in all .apk files, whether they have been executed or not. If malware is detected, it alerts you. If no malware is found but you suspect a file is malicious, you can send it to the malware researchers for analysis. It's important to note that Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android scans every .apk file, apart from the Android OS files. Additionally, if you have an external SD card connected, you can enable scanning for it in the settings, but it will still only scan .apk format files.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)