Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can the print on a website be infected?

Options

I copied and pasted a few paragraphs from a website. When I tried to save my document, which is a Microsoft Word document, my Bitdefender antivirus tells me that the document is infected with Trojan.Groooboor.Gen.22. and then my document gets deleted. I'm really confused. How is this possible? I thought that an actual object, like some type of program had to be downloaded onto a computer in order for the computer to be infected. (As you can probably tell, I know very little about how a virus gets spread to a computer).

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• bcava
    bcava
    edited April 25
    Options

Hi,

Yes, here's the website:

[*url removed by @Flexx*]

• Flexx
    Options

I have promoted you to Level 2 so that you can share a screenshot of Bitdefender detecting the same.

Regards

• bcava
    Options

Is this the screen shot you needed to see? It just happened again when I copied and pasted from this website. This has never happened before, so I don't understand why it's happening now. I've been using this website for many years. I just downloaded some images from this website and I didn't get an alert about the images being infected. But when I copy and paste information onto a document and then try to save the document, Bitdefender then tells me the document is infected.

• bcava
    Options

In addition, I just tried to save this same document as a pdf, and was able to save it without any problem. Bitdefender didn't alert me of an infection to the pdf document. Isn't that strange? It only alerts me to an infection when I try to save the document as a word document. I don't understand that.

• Flexx
    Options

• bcava
    bcava
    edited April 25
    Options

I'm unable to upload the doc file because I'm unable to save it to my computer. Bitdefender won't let me save it because it is infected.

[*attachment removed by @Flexx*]

• Flexx
    edited April 25
    Options

Follow the steps stated below

1) Temporarily disable Bitdefender Protection: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/28557/

2) Upload files to VirusTotal and share the links here.

3) Re-enable real-time protection in Bitdefender

Regards

• bcava
    Options

Hi,

What is Virus Total? And, which files do you want me to upload? I no longer have the documents that Bitdefender deleted.

• Flexx
    Options

VirusTotal (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload) is an online service that allows you to upload files and check them for viruses, malware, and other types of malicious software. It scans the files using multiple antivirus engines and provides you with a report on whether the file is safe or not. It's a helpful tool for ensuring the security of your files before using them.

Since the file is no longer available, nothing can be done in this case.

Regards

• Raptor88
    Options

The only way I can think of is that the document has macros in it which can infect.

The way to copy documents without formatting is:

Paste Text Without Formatting in Word:
    1. Menu. Edit > Paste without formatting/Paste as plain text.
    2. Keyboard Shortcuts. Mac: Cmd + Shift + V. ….. Windows: Ctrl + Shift + V.

In Libre writer:
    1. Windows: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + V.