Gen:Variant.Ulise.431911 in windows pagefile.sys - not possible to clean

Today after update of both windows defender and bitdefender start receiving alerts on Full System scan. Steps used:

0. Windows 10 with all latest updates

1.Started bitdefender full scan - green no problems

2. Started Windows Defender full scan (it support isolated scans with main antivirus assigned to Bitdefender). Full scan complained on some old installer, which was never run. Deleted for security

3. Re-Run bitdefender full scan - red. Gen:Variant.Ulise.431911 in windows pagefile.sys - C:\pagefile.sys - > (Embedded EXE g). Delete action - fails (of course as system file), quaranteen fails - system file.

4. Re-run bitedefender full scan - the same error - red

5. Run windows defender offline deep scan - green

6. Re run bit defender - the same error could not do any action - red

7. Re run windows defender full scan- green

8. Disabled page file in windows, restarted

9. run bitdefnder - green

What it could? I have a feeling that it somehows detects windows defender databases as security alert. No new programs were installed on PC nothing downloaded. As want to have "green" state disabled pagefile for now, but not sure what is the problem.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

"pagefile.sys" is a system file on Windows computers that acts as a backup memory storage area. When the computer's main memory (RAM) is full, it uses this file on the hard drive to store data temporarily, ensuring smooth operation even when running multiple programs simultaneously.

I assume the detection to be a false positive. Could you upload the file to VirusTotal and share the link here?

Additionally, if you believe that a website or file has been incorrectly blocked by Bitdefender, you can share the details with our malware researchers by filling out the form at the link provided below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/

If the website or file is indeed incorrectly blocked, the detection will be removed within a maximum of 72 hours. However, if the detection still persists after 72 hours, please consider the website or file as malicious, as determined by our malware researchers, and the detection will remain.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• unfortunately could not. as whole pagefile was about 1.5Gb, so quite big. In order to make bit defender "green" disabled pagefiles, which makes bitdfender happy, but of course windows automatically deleted this file..Not sure does it do full delete without possibility to restore or "soft" delete

• The problem is that even if I re-enable pagefile, and windows defender (I expect he is guilty) still have his data in it, I could not copy page file to another location as it is used by windows. disabling page file - just auto delete it. So no chance how I could provide this file, except of file restore tool trying to analyze disk c, or have another boot CD and load from it

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help

Select, How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender productsTroubleshootingI don't knowContact Support→ You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)