Please bring back the Security Widget in Total Security

As I mentioned in a different thread / category, finding out that the Security Widget as been removed from BD Total Security 2021 in the most recent version is a huge disappointment. It has been one of the best features of the product for years now for several reasons, but one main reason is that it provides an easy-to-understand visual alert system for the users who need security the most - people who are not "tech savvy" and are not diligent about paying attention to their system's security status.

Most of the people I assist with computer / web related issues fall into this category and rely heavily on the Security Widget being there & visible to them. For years I've taught them that they can help themselves stay safe by making sure the Widget always has a "Green Check Mark" in it and that they can click the small number at the bottom of the circular widget to pull up a list of important notifications that will alert them to what needs their attention.

I do not understand why BitDefender would have removed this highly desirable / very important feature in the Total Security product for so many years now, and I'm appealing to BD to please bring it back into the latest versions.

Thank you for your consideration on this.

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

21 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• +1

• I depend very heavily on the Widget as a quick reference for new notifications. I am extremely disappointed that it not longer populates when I sign-in to my system. Is there any recourse that I can take to have my Widget back?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Members,

So I have just received a latest response back from the development team via bitdefender support & I guess they are in no mood to introduce the widget back again in the 2021 line of product. Below is their reply.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I would like my Widget back or I may need to reinstall an older version of Bitdefender.

• Flexx

Hi Member,

As per latest information, bitdefender is not committed to bring back the widget in 2021 line of product. Even if you will uninstall & reinstall any lower version of bitdefender, sooner or later it will automatically upgrade to 2021 version. So there is no point in uninstalling the product.

Regards

Flex

• As already mentioned by "AnotherDave" there's an older but similar forum thread called "So It Seems The Security Widget Is Gone For Good?"

There you can find further information about the BD opinion about the widget.

After all, I think that the most important way to clearly state our opinion and dissatisfaction to Bitbefender about widget removal, is by sending an email to BD supporthttps://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

• This is getting BURIED. Please VOTE on the Original Post.

• So as of today:

BD says - "the widget used unnecessary resources" and was "not popular". Yeah? Really? It was the only thing that let most users know that it was still loading / scanning / updating / computer ready. AND it was THE step above all the other security suites, with a visual warning / alert that a simple user could track.

BD knows - the Search Advisor / Trafficlight does not work with Chrome and FireFox after this most recent update. ANOTHER thing / reason we PAID for this software.

BD fails to acknowledge - when they say the widget uses "unnecessary resources" for low-end systems, they fail to acknlowledge they did NOT remove the popup / upsells for other features you may not need or want. Anyone getting overwhelmed with ads for buying / adding more BitDefender optional features suddenly? I wonder why it's so important to use my system resources to pimp your paid VPN and other such, but the widget was just not necessary.

I'm really bummed out. BD TS has been the best security suite for ages now. And now I'm shopping for something else, for me, and for all of my clients.

VOTE - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/comment/297565

• I agree with everything above

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Hello, if you want her to move, please sign this petition quickly

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/reintroduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

What does the Security Widget represent to people who owned it?

Did the developers ask themselves the question? here they are

The Bitdefender widget, which can be placed on the desktop, not only offers a quick view of the protection status, but also offers some useful little options. The first interesting option is that you can drag and drop any file onto the widget and thus scan for viruses. Quick access to the event view is also useful. In the lower circle, the widget displays the number of event messages; if you click on it, the events view opens. This informs, for example, if the updates were processed successfully or if there were any issues with them. Bitdefender can be reopened by double clicking on the symbol of the widget itself.

The support team doesn't quite understand what this widget really brings to the people we have little subscribed to in its development.

It also brought increased security on the operation of the anti virus, the internet connection. etc ... he did what can of anti virus do.

https://www.facebook.com/widgetbitdefender

• The Security Widget is a vital part of Bitdefender's Total Security and without it they cannot call it 'Total'. I do not believe that it is unpopular or not well-used - this seems to be just an excuse. If it is not brought back, BD will loose many loyal users who will switch to another programme. I for one know that I rely on the Widget sitting there for peace of mind and to confirm that everything is OK. It has always been one of the features that has set BD apart from their competitors. Please, Please bring it back soon.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Yes they should expect a drop in their installation in the future I will not recommend it again until the essential Bitdefender widget is brought back online

• Why in the world would you remove the security widget? How am I supposed to know that my protection is up and running?

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

You must write to support on a daily basis, send them emails signed this petition https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/reintroduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

make things happen

We are also told that Windows has switched to the metro interface, but that it no longer exists on the current version, so that is not a valid excuse.

• Bring it back!

• Been with BD for about 8 years. May not renew if Widget isn't brought back!

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Yes, let's also write to support via email, together we'll make a difference, this widget can come back before the end of the year

• DeeGee
    DeeGee
    edited October 2020

I want my Widget back. I was expecting it. You didn't tell me it was surplus to my requirements. Your Marketing people got it wrong. BDTS without a Widget is like is a boat without a rudder or a cow without an udder.😕

• I also want my Widget back. I was expecting it. You didn't tell me it was surplus to my requirements. Your Marketing people got it wrong. BDTS without a Widget is like is a boat without a rudder or a cow without an udder.😕

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Yes we can still change his contribution when he comes back and signed this petition https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

Email support, ask them the questions they need to answer the chat, contact them, do your best

• BRING BACK THE WIDGET! It IS one of the most usefull parts of Bitdefender. With a quick look I can see if there are any Notices that need my attention. Under Used is BS just by you guys i guess.... PUT IT BACK NOW.

Get you collective heads out of your gigantic rears and put it back.

Oh and by the way HOW THE FRACK would you know who is using it UNLESS your SPYING on our DESKTOP.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Hello, if you want her to move, please sign this petition quickly

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/reintroduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• I have emailed support regarding this and recieved word for word the same response posted by Flexx above.

What this tells me (as someone that used to work in IT support groups) is that Bitdefender were expecting complaints

on this issue and have instructed their support staff to only offer a stock answer to any questions or support tickets raised.

This kind of response is in my opinion lazy and normally used in an attempt to weather a storm of complaints in the hope that

after a while users will just give up and accept what has happened.

What it does indicate is that Bitdefender are not concerned by or interested in user opinions and opening support tickets regarding this issue will eventually prove pointless.

The only solution I can see for me personally is to change software at the end of my subscription period.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

We must continue the fight, we must write to them often to tell them that everyone does not agree with his way of doing things

Write to them on social networks

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Hello

We have sent them a very salty email, and have written to support very often so far no response. Could we have found Bitdefender's weak point?

• Please please bring back the Security Widget. It made being able to see at a glance what was happening and made access to adjustments very simple and straight forward.

It was also I believe unique to Bitdefender.

So Bitdefender if you are really interested in your customers please listen to and act upon our wishes, after all there are plenty of other Internet Security Software sellers out there.

• Bring it back or I'll wil not be renewing my 5 device software in 2021!

• Well Bitdefender I leaving at the end of my license. Thank you from you understanding.

• Hello,

We can still change that, sign this petition and show Bitdefender that we are stronger than they have to listen to their customer.

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• The situation seems to be accelerating the support receives a large number of requests to return the widget we must continue

• Flexx

@Alex D., @Andy_BD

Can you please get any available developer from the bitdefender team to come and share the opinion regarding the widget. Support team is of no help and they are now sharing the pre feeded templates as their replies. It would be helpful if you can arrange someone from the developer team to come forward and respond here. A direct conversation with any of the available developer will be the best thing.

Can you please arrange a developer to directly comment on this post, instead of waiting for support to share the feedback with developers, then developers sharing the response to support and then support sharing the response to user. It takes around a weeks time whereas earlier in maximum of 72 hours all tickets used to receive a response.

Please arrange any available developer from development team to directly reply back here. It will be of great help.

Regards

Flex

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Yes, everyone is waiting here and chat support is starting to get more and more demand for the widget, so it's good that it's popular.

Communication that listens to its customers is not the same from year to year.

• Hello,

We have proof that the petition set up can make a difference, the support we have confirmed that the developers consult it every day and he watches the beginners share this petition as much as possible.

Look at the screenshot, it's just getting started :)

• Flexx

To,

Forum Member's & Forum Visitors (non -forum members)

Kindly fill up the following petition available in the below link created by bitdefender forum member @Gauthey in order to request bitdefender development team to bring back the widget in the latest version of bitdefender consumer products (2021 version)

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

• thank you so much

Yes, pass it on to your friends, relatives, all your stuff, only you can change things

• I, like many others have noted, rely on the security widget as a quick reference that things are scanning and under control. Now I have to open BitD and run through the dashboard. I'm very disappointed that you took something away that many have come to rely on. You should bring it back.

• Hello yes we are like you we are waiting for his return from elsewhere for a faster return, quickly sign this petition

Also share this video wherever you can

A very big development error has occurred here, removed for unfounded causes and incomprehensible complement

• Hello,

Apart from the fact that a lot of functionality has been removed what do you really think of this new version of Bitdefender 2021, I find that there are more bugs and that the user side is more difficult and different

What are your opinions?

• Bring Back The Security Widget

Your reasoning for removal is lame. Your users want it back.