How to stop bitdefender popups/notifications

Comments

• GOD PLEASE ADD A TURN OFF NOTIFICATIONS FEATURE I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M PAYING FOR AN ADWARE! I DO NOT WHAT ANY KINDS OF NOTIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER! THE POP UPS ALWAYS REQUIRE ME TO CLICK "X" ON THEM AND NEVER DISAPPEAR!

ENOUGH ALREADY!

• I will advise all of my colleagues and business partners to switch to other solutions until this is figured out. We will not be renewing our licences from now on.

• I'm on a trial for Bitdefender, and this shows me that I absolutely should not purchase this software. This thread is over a year old!! And still you refuse to do anything your constant popups? I left Avast because of their unending, unblockable popup messages, but it looks like Bitdefender is run by people who are just as deeply stupid and greedy.

A tip for anyone running a business who may be too dumb to not realize this on their own: Stop treating your paying customers like crap. They tend not to like it.

• We've individual subscriptions for all our employees to use at home and for their families since so many people are working from their home computers now...

The sheer number of complaints about all the popups, irritating and aggressive ads about subscribing to their VPN services, and all the profile and wifi notifications is astounding. Apart from that we realized a lot of people's software wasn't automatically updating or scanning - which basically is the only thing people are hoping for when installing this software.

We will be testing out different software and not renewing any employee's subscriptions - this is worse than having malware on your computer because you are paying for it.

• Ditto... feeling violated

• I got a perfect solution, it stopped the high consumption of resources, the slowness, the antivirus and Firewall annoying blocking legitimate software and stopped the firewall asking me every time what to do with a standard windows apps trying to access some ports, and probably they do not have a database of common softwares and their behavior, I am happy now, it did not took awhile to figure out the solution.

Simple

• Adding my voice to this. I won't renew my subscription unless this issue is addressed. Please allow users to control ALL notifications. Perhaps implement a quiet mode, during which only critical notifications are delivered and done so discreetly. Constant notifications interrupt flow.

• Call Bitdefender customer service at 954 414 9655.

Depending on the pop up they will advice you disabling something.

Good Luck

• I am a new customer, and I don't need this notification. I will go back to the other company, they may cost more but I don't care. Every time I plugin my iPhone to my desktop this stupid thing pops up. Your product team should be fired. You can't resolve your own spam pop ups.

• Can't believe this still hasn't been changed. Anyone have any suggestions to alternative software suites?

• Regretting the decision to subscribe to bitdefender...first it took few days of research to know which setting to toggle off for the various notifications and pop-ups. But the thing I couldnt stand was the "suspicious connection blocked" pop-up which comes on when my internet connection is unstable/disconnected. This pop-up will toggle out of the active window, thus I would not be able to get any work done on other applications. The only way to stop these pop-ups is to disable wifi temporarily while waiting for internet connection to reestablish.

• Always thought of BD as one of the best AV solutions out there but these popups are so intrusive, with no settings available to disable them, that I am uninstalling our paid licenses from all of our machines.

• I will add my voice to this. I bought Bitdefender based on online reviews. This experience has eroded my confidence in those sites as well. This is a massive problem and a daily annoyance while using this software. Its clearly a widely felt issue too judging by this old thread. It is unbelievable that they still haven't removed notifications or added settings to turn these off. I don't think Ill survive till license expiry, these popus are too annoying.

Since Bitdefender clearly doesn't care about this issue, I'd like to use this thread to find out some alternates, if that's okay. Can someone please suggest a good replacement AV?

• BitDefender, please add the option to disable these popups. They are beyond annoying. I won't be renewing my subscription until they're gone.

• This software is absolutely horrible with the popups. NO, I do not want to use your VPN. Why ask me every time I hook up my GOOD VPN that doesn't harass me?? Please give me my money back!!

• This software is absolutely horrible with the popups. NO, I do not want to use your VPN. Why ask me every time I hook up my GOOD VPN that doesn't harass me?? Please give me my money back!!

• I am another person being driven crazy by all the notifications and notice I am paid up until March 2022... which is way too long to put up with this. Why can't this be fixed? I will definitely be changing to another anti-virus next year.

• I brought this thread to the attention of their Twitter account and they responded they will look into it(the thread), but I see they still have 0 response here. Pathetic. I'm definitely not renewing, but I still have like 10 months of subscription left...

• Same issue here. Shame on all of the review sites for not mentioning this glaring problem!!!
  • It is incredibly frustrating reading these reviews from a year ago and this simple issue still isn't fixed... The notifications are incessant
  • I'm long time BD user.
    But today it's started popping up a Privacy Threat Blocked every 15 seconds from the IP address of my EERO mesh WiFi.
    And it takes focus away from whatever I'm working on. Including typing this message.
    If I can't stop this then I'll have to bin my remaining 10 months on a 10 device license and try something else.
  • Same here, this was my last key.

The popups are incessant and stole the cursor focus!!
  • I too, am at my end with all the unneccessary pop up notifications. I installed this software to protect me, not to be the source of my pain. Too aggressive, I already baught your product, stop trying to up sell. Why would anyone want your crappy, data capped VPN. I didn't install it so what gives you the right to install a VPN i don't want just to up sale me. This behavior is going to drive your customers away. Not that you may care but i won't be renewing Bitdefender. I will be seeking an alternative that doesn't feel the need to continually pop up on my screen. Bitdefender your software is behaving like the programs we are paying to block. Lose the adware mentality you are exhibiting.
  • Same here, this was my last key.

The popups are incessant and stole the cursor focus!!
  • I'm having the same issue with BitDefender popping up notification for products even though the setting is disabled. Lately it is trying to get me to use their VPN service. It is very annoying.
  • Protection - Online Threat Prevention - Encripted Web Scan, switch it off. Helped for me.
  • This is STILL an issue. I don't care if BD moves to "work profile" and NO I don't want to turn on my VPN for every little thing I do. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!
  • I will not be continuing my subscription. I used this program so I DON'T get annoying pop-ups.
    I'm not interested in buying your VPN or other services, and constantly pushing your advertisements into my paid service is a sure way to ensure I won't be a return customer
  • Protection - Online Threat Prevention - Encripted Web Scan, switch it off. Helped for me.
  • Non-stop "suspicious connection, website, blah blah blah blocked." "USE OUR VPN". I've been a BD customer for a few years - this is my final subscription. I'd do better off with no protection. This is insanity.
  • Andy_BD
    Andy_BD ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I've taken your feedback from this thread and what we've gathered from other channels as well and had a talk with the devs about it.

I've listed below quite a few of the notifications which can be disabled from the product.

The following notifications can be turned off:

FOR WINDOWS:

• Update
    • USB Immunizer
    • Removable devices (USB/CD/Network drives)
    • Subscription
    • Vulnerability
    • (VPN) & WiFi Security
    • File shredder
    • OneClick Optimizer
    • Startup optimizer
    • Disk Cleanup

FOR macOS:

• Update
    • Subscription
    • VPN

FOR ANDROID:

• Web Protection
    • VPN
    • Anti-Theft
    • App Lock
    • Account Privacy
    • Reports

Several other changes to notifications have been put forward to the dev team and we're looking to optimize their function and will provide updates once we have them developed.

• Found this discussion because I'm getting sick of Bitdefender constantly popping up notifications, it's getting too much that the product I pay money to prevent adware etc is doing exactly the same thing. This software is supposed to run quietly in the background, not constantly self promote its features and advertise more services. I'm gonna try a couple of the suggestions from this thread, but if it continues, I'm done with this product.

• Showing us lists of *what* notifications that can be turned off is slightly less important than showing us *how* to turn them off.

I've installed XSpilt VCam for use with my Logitech C920 Hd Pro webcam which is then piped into OBS Studio.

When I run XSpilt VCam, I get the below notification literally every second:

Button-click-by-button-click, how are these notifications disabled?

I understand that I may have a larger issue being that this notification repeats (maybe XSpilt VCam constantly "connects" and "disconnects" for lack of a better description), though I can't even trouble shoot in XSpilt VCam as the above notification takes focus every time.

• I've just trialled BD but uninstalled because of the stupid popups. The firewall also blocked my printer (LAN) and WSL - but guess what, no nonfictions when it does that.

I need software to work with me and make my work life easier, not getting in the way.

I tried Kaspersky, which was better, but I still had to disable a lot of the junk features to stop the notifications.

Finally tried Sophos, and so far, so good. No notifications, other than an occasional message about the trial period. This is where my money will be going.

• I am done with these notifications. Windows defender here I come!

• Dear Bitdefender ... as told here many times before .... i'm SICK of these annoying popups. Two years ago when i had a subscription this wasn't a problem (as far as i can remember). After coming back to bitdefender i noticed i'm getting bugged every day with this bullying. I regret not having stayed with my previous anti virus program. Do something about it please. Rather yesterday then today!

A very annoyed customer.

• Bye bye bitdefender, my company no longer using your software due to this annoying notification of

"DO YOU WANT TO TURN ON VPN"

for 1000x times in a day. Bitdefender sucks!

• Andy_BD
    Andy_BD ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you say that @leet123

It's something that we clearly need to work on. However, did you know that if you go into the VPN settings, there's a tab called Notifications where you have the option to turn them off?

• This is a temporary solution, till BitDefender update their app.

Run this Autohotkey ******: close_all_bitdefender_notifications.ahk (source).

It's not safe to keep this ****** running all the time as there may be an important notification that you may miss.

• "However, did you know that if you go into the VPN settings, there's a tab called Notifications where you have the option to turn them off?"

Thank you. I did not even know "VPN Protection" was running in the background.

OK, I just turned that off in Windows Startup.

The other popups: please, important security notifications, and nothing more. I guess give people the opportunity to get a popup every three minutes, but please give us the option to be left alone.

• However, did you know that if you go into the VPN settings, there's a tab called Notifications where you have the option to turn them off?

I assume this is part of a future design that wasn't yet implemented. Because I can uncheck "Remind me to start VPN..." and it doesn't stop the notification. I can toggle off "Allow Notifications" and I will still get annoyed with your notifications about my home network. I've tried uninstalling, to see if that helps.

I wish I had read this thread before. Over a year of complaints about these popups, and like a fool I bought this 2 days ago. I should have stayed with the free version.

• Hi @ArmandCormier ,

I assume you now have only the paid version installed on your machine. A couple of posts above my colleague Andy posted just how to turn the VPN notification off. Let me know if it worked.

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• This is still an issue in Oct 2021, so that's why I'm here seeking for a solution to stop annoying pop-ups. I just switched from Kaspersky to Bitdefender to give it a chance (both paid versions). I will most likely change back to Kaspersky if my tolerance limit has reached the max.

• Hi @tx7684 , did you try to disable them like shown in the post above, by Andi?

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Four years ago, many people were having the same trouble with Corel programs until eventually some hero called GMann came up with the solution. I thought I would adapt it to see if it worked with Bitdefender and it does, at least for me. Here it is:

In Windows, click the Start button and select Control Panel

In Control Panel click Administrative Tools

In the right-hand pane double-click Task Scheduler (give permission if asked)

In the left-hand pane select Task Scheduler Library

In the top middle pane you should see a list of scheduled events. Look for those related to Bitdefender (in mine there are 'Bitdefender Agent WatchDog' and Bitdefender AgentTask').

Right-click on each and select 'Disable'.

That's it. Good luck.

• I just tried the above solution to no avail. There are no Bitdefender Agent tasks listed, yet I get constant pop-ups. 😡

So, dear Andy & Mike from BD, since you are reading this and 15 more days of you losing customers has gone by, when are you going to post a step by step solution to turning off the pop ups? We’re not talking about VPN so quit changing the subject to VPN, makes you sound like a politician!

If not resolved soon, I’m removing all my paid versions from 5 PCs and never coming back. Do you guys even care?

• Hi @Robert_E ,

We're Community moderators and try to take care of the community itself and build here something, with you, our customers, more than "problem solving". In the above posts, Andy underlined what notifications can be turned off (and how) and not only for VPN. We are trying to hear everyone, take your feedback and try to influence and make your voice heard in our departments. Sometimes answers and results come fast, other times slower, and even negative. But we sure try to do our best. Believe me - it's zero politics, but if you wanna give it a name, let's call it normal politeness towards our customers 🙂.

thanks,

Mike

• I have turned off the available notification settings (I don't have wifi on so that one doesn't apply). I'm still getting popups. (I also followed the steps on that youtube channel.