Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

USB Storage Devices Not Showing.

Options

A copy and paste of the email I sent to BD support after a phone call...

I followed the directions from the link. None of the changes helped. No individual module whether off or on is affecting the behaviour. The only thing that restores the normal function is to re-boot the computer and this only works once.

I will describe the bug so it is in writing...

I am running two computers, one is a custom made PC from a local shop and one is an ASUS notebook. Both are running Windows 10 21H2 19044.1526 with Bitdefender Internet Security, Build 26.0.12.52 as the only security software. The bug has only appeared after the automatic update from BD build 45 to 52 in the last 24 hours. The behaviour did not occur prior to this update. Both computers are affected.

The bug is that a USB device will only show once after a system start or reboot. After showing once and then removed, no USB storage device (the one removed or any other) will show in My Computer and the taskbar symbol with "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" message on clicking is missing. Normal behaviour is restored after a re-boot but it only works once. The Windows alert sounds every time a USB storage device is plugged in or unplugged.

Operation of USB connected game controllers is unaffected and the USB ports remain powered - I can feel the WD 2TB spinners starting up when plugged in even when they don't show.

As part of my trouble-shooting I completely uninstalled Bitdefender Internet Security. Normal USB function is restored. When re-installed, the bug returned. I did this twice to be sure.

Your latest build definitely has a bug.

Comments

• Bronkster
    Options

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Also Windows 10, but BD Total Security build 26.0.12.52. Since I just started using BD a few days ago, I can't say if it was a problem in earlier builds. I also reinstalled, which fixed the problem for a few times of popping in the USB device (a camera). But then it stopped working again. Same with rebooting - as stated in the above message - with it working once, then no more.

I "chatted" with a BD customer service rep last night, and was given a link to a process that took quite a bit of time - with no positive result. That's when I decided to reinstall.

Since I've only had BD on my system for four days, and having this much trouble with something that affects my business, I'm seriously considering asking for a refund and finding another security suite if a fix isn't quickly forthcoming.

Do problems posted here garner solutions, or is this mostly for venting?

• Bronkster, I have used Bitdefender for many years and it has been very good and cost effective for a home user with 3 computers. I particularly like the integrated firewall with the ability to allow or deny any application's internet connection - if "Alert Mode" is switched on. Recently this function broke and could only be enabled by switching that mode off and then on again, a process that took 7 mouse clicks every time the computer was started otherwise apps were able to contact the internet with the user unaware.

This bug took 6 to 8 weeks to fix after being reported. https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/89671/alert-mode-is-broken

In the new build which has fixed that problem this new bug has appeared. We will see how long it takes for BD to fix this one. The initial response I got from the support guy on the phone was that it doesn't happen on his Win 10 computer. Maybe he was still using Build 45. Is the BD software getting more buggy? Time will tell. My subscription is due for renewal around November and I will make a decision then.

Forbes.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello guys,

Thank you for reporting this. I hereby confirm that it's indeed a bug and other users have encountered this and reported the situation to our Support Teams as well and in the thread below:

What we have learned so far after gathering user feedback and testing:

Whenever a USB stick is inserted in the computer -> first time after boot, it will work.

If the USB stick is removed from the computer and re-inserted it or inserted a different USB stick, the expected result would be that the USB stick is detected by Windows and works normally.

However, the actual result is that the USB stick is not detected (drive doesn't appear in File explorer) and device manager shows error 38 for that particular device.

Other observations found by the engineers:

• issue does not occur with Bitdefender uninstalled;
    • according to reports, the issue started occurring since 26.0.12.52;
    • turning off modules + device scanning does not help, issue persists;
    • makes no difference if device scanning is on or not, if you let it finish or not, or if you properly eject the device or just pull it out.

Our developers are currently working on a fix. Your feedback is much appreciated, and I have forwarded your input to the technicians and this will prove very useful in the troubleshooting process. There is no ETA for a fix yet, but the developers are confident a resolution will be found soon.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for your patience. I will get back to you with updates, as they come.

@Bronkster this is what we do here, gather feedback, solve issues, encourage ideation and offer support 😊

I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Gioxy
    Options

Hello all,

I have t say that I have the same problem (unique for me in many years of happy BD!) in both a dozen of BD Total Security and a dozen of BD free, but not in BD Endpoint protected PCs... hope this is of some use for BD engineers...

Many greetings to all and keep up the good job always!

...ah, and most important: let's peace rule right now in all world! We all are human friends!

• Bronkster
    Options

Forbes_Road_1960 and Alexandru_BD - thank you for the informative responses. I will try to be patient and hope this can be resolved quickly (since I know now that it's being rigorously addressed).

Bronkster

• Dear Alexandru and all concerned,

Thank you for recognizing this bug, I frequently copy files from one computer to another and this is a major inconvenience. As they say **it happens and hopefully one of the engineers will resolve this issue quickly.

Thank you for your quick response and keep up the good work!

Jeff

• Gre_PC
    Options

Hello all,

I also have the same problem for several days since the BD was updated. Every day I have to work with several USBs, and it is a problem having to reboot the system every time I need to change USBs, or reuse the same one if it has been disconnected.

I have Bitdefender Total Security for five devices, and I hope that the technicians find the solution as soon as possible.

I was going to uninstall the BD to be able to work better, but seeing your comments, I'm going to wait a few days to see if they solve the problem.

Best regards.

• Davess
    Options

This sounds to me like the problem has been around for a while. II just spent half a day trying to figure it out with alot of that time with Microsoft with no luck. I'm new wit BD and it seemed pretty good until I ran into this problem. So is it worth staying here or moving to another app?

• Davess

I have used Bitdefender for 8 or 10 years after using several others. It has always been right at or near the top of the comparison tests, eg… https://www.av-comparatives.org/consumer/ and that’s what is most important, stopping viruses and malware, right?

The other thing that sold me on BD was the included firewall. At the time my previous favourite did not have this. I have stuck with BD because it works well. Maybe once or twice a year I have needed to uninstall and reinstall it to cure a glitch.

In the last 2 or 3 months there have been 2 bugs that I know about, the firewall ‘alert mode’ fault which would not have affected the average user (and could be ‘worked around’) and this new bug which will detrimentally affect thousands of users until fixed.

In my opinion this bug reveals inadequate testing by the company before releasing a new build and they should have all hands on deck to get the fix out ASAP.

On the non-technical side the company or it’s resellers (and this reflects a corporate choice) can be a bit tricky with auto renewal. The auto renewal (on by default) cost is about double what you can get the program(s) for as you get close to renewal time and it takes some time to find out how to turn the auto renewal off. Late last year (in Australia) I turned off the auto renewal a month or so before expiry and took a discounted offer near term only to be billed again at double the price by the ‘turned off’ auto renewal system. Support said this was a one-off error and organised a refund, but I thought that this was shabby treatment for a long term customer and if it happens again I’m out. Caveat Emptor.

Forbes

• Gre_PC
    Options

A trick for those who need to work with several USBs and do not want to be restarting the computer (and mayby a hint ofr technicians looking for the problem): always have a USB connected. In my case, it even works for me with a very old one (only 1GB) that is broken and is recognized by de system (Device Manager) but not by Windows.

I would like to do more testing to try to narrow down the problem, but I do not have time and I am not a computer expert.

I have also discovered another problem associated with the DB update (at least in my case): VirtualBox does not work for me (it does not load any VM and I have it inserted as an exception for BD), and I am almost sure that it is because of thd BD update (it happened to me a long time ago with another antivirus, and it has the same symptoms).

Best regards

• I have been struggling with this for days too - asked the question in the Microsoft Community...

Many people are having the Code 38 problem, but no-one has found a fix - but one guy reported that it appeared to be associated with BitDefender... 🙄 - which is why I'm now here.

Uninstalling Bitdefender worked for me - but I don't want to risk that!

Come on BD, get us a fix ASAP.

• CraigNZ
    Options
    I had this issue as well, but within last half hour an auto update asked me to restart computer and it now works as it should (remove USB device, insert device again and it is now working). Version of Bitdefender Total Security is now 26.0.12.56.
  • Davess
    Options

CraigNZ

Did you try it a second time? I have the same build 26.0.12.56 and it only works one time. If you eject the flash drive and insert it again it will not work.

• Davess
    Options

I sent BD an e-mail asking about the USB problem but they won't answer. I wish they would come up with a fix. Non of the reviews out there on the web discuss this problem so all newbees like me get to find out the hard way. I just get frustrated with software companies send out their half baked products without fully testing them and expect the public to fix what they can't or won't.

• Davess
    Options

Well I need to apologize. I went back and rebooted again and it started working. I ejected my flash drive and reinstalled it five times and it worked great. The computer recognized the flash drive each time. Thank you Bitdefender. Now I will stay with the program because other then that USB problem I like the software. This community is great and BD does listen. Have a GREAT night!

• Bronkster
    Options

I've also rebooted and seem to be having no further problems. I've only done a few attempts, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this being resolved and will do additional testing. But so it looks good! And if it IS resolved completely then I commend the BD staff and techs for a quick fix!

• Milanesa
    Options

In my case I have detected this problem since the middle of February.

• Gioxy
    Options

Many tanks to all BD team, with BD TS v. 26.0.12.56 (and, of course, after a reboot) the problem is gone! ...fast and great job!

Now I can't wait to see the same for BD Free Edition; I managed to update the Engine Properties version from 7.91313 to 7.91339, but the Product edition won't (manually) move on from v. 1.0.21.280...

@Alexandru_BD please, can we soon expect an updated BD Free version that solve USB Storage Device problem?

Thanks a lot!

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello guys,

A big thank you for everyone that shared their input on this bug. The information was very valuable for the developers, as they managed to deploy the update containing the fix on Friday evening. It took some time for the update to reach all machines, but we have received confirmation that by Saturday morning, the fix was available for the entire userbase.

@Milanesa I remember seeing a thread were this issue was reported in the middle of February, but at the time I was unaware this could affect multiple users and I had no insight of similar reports coming from the Support Teams. However, it was soon revealed that we were getting multiple reports in various places and after gathering more information, the bug was acknowledged and the engineers moved in.

@Forbes_Road_1960 I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Sometimes, unforseable events can surface after an update is released, even if prior tests were conducted. Such cases are indeed rare.

But I must say, the engineers really delivered a quick fix on this one.

In regards to the automatic renewal feature, the Bitdefender products and services are usually available for purchase with a discount on the official website. The new aquisition discount is valid for the first year of subscription only, which means that, in the event the automatic renewal feature stays enabled, for subsequent renewals the full list price will be applied. The automatic renewal price is not linked with ongoing campaigns available on the website or at various resellers, therefore, early renewal offers are being sent to customers so that everyone can benefit from an advantageous price. The automatic renewal feature can be disabled anytime after the purchase, either from the Central or 2Checkout accounts, or by contacting the Support Teams.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best wishes to you all.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello @Gioxy,

The current Antivirus Free version has been officially discontinued at the end of December 2021. No further developments will take place for this version, but the Support Teams will still provide assistance until June 30, 2022.

More information regarding the End of Life process is available in the article below:

Should you encounter any issues with the Free version, please get in touch with the Support Teams, as that they can further advise what adjustments can be made locally.

You can get contact our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

• Gioxy
    Options

Hello @Alexandru_BD, do I already know about BDFree EoL, but I was hoping that a remedy came soon... and I was right!

@All:

Many thanks to all BD team! Also the Free Edition (when updated to) v. 1.0.21.284 is working just fine!

Keep up the good work!

• biotr
    biotr ✭
    Options
    @Gioxy: thanks for good news, but... I have BDFree 64bit EoL at v1.0.21.280 and there is no way to update it manually to subv.284. How did you do it? This forced reboot is exhausting...
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

@Gioxy a big thank you on behalf of the Bitdefender Team, your kind words are appreciated.

So, have you guys downloaded the NEW Antivirus Free for Windows already?? 😊

If not, here it is in all its glory: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Best wishes to everyone.

• JWalker
    Options
    I have BD free with the USB flash drive issue of having to reboot after unplugging the drive to have it recognized. Unlike some comments here the problem continues for me.
  • Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @JWalker,

If you are using the previous Antivirus Free, I would recommend you to install the new one, as it comes with a new architecture. The new version offers enhanced features, functionality, and improved user experience in comparison to the previous free version, including, malware protection, and custom scanning scheduling options. Additionally, the new free version offers email protection for Outlook and Thunderbird, providing an extra layer of protection against malware. There is also an exploit detection feature that informs users if they are vulnerable or at higher risk for compromise.

Best regards.

• dj_si
    dj_si ✭
    Options

@JWalker @Gioxy and anyone else still using the original BD Free AV that's reaching EoL in June, I recommend upgrading to the new BD AV Free. Your existing BD installation should prompt you to upgrade (mine did), otherwise use the link below. The good news is that now I've installed the new free version, the USB Code 38 bug has been resolved. I confirm that I've been able to plug in and unplug USB storage devices as many times as I like without any problems 🙂