Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

untrusted certificate on paypal

Options

Hi,

I have this message when I buy something with paypal.

"A suspicious connection has been detected, untrusted certificate on paypal" (I translated the message in English)

Can someone tell me why ?

Is it a malware?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Mb876 and welcome to the Community!

This situation is caused by the fact that the website in the notification (PayPal) has an expired certificate or there is another issue with their certificate. It could be that the website doesn't have a SSL certificate(https). You can contact a PayPal representative for more information.

You can also add an exception for the website in Bitdefender - Protection - Online Threat Prevention - Manage Exceptions, or, from the same area (Online Threat Prevention) - disable the Encrypted Web Scan feature which scans for the certificates of websites (not a recommended action).

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

It's difficult to know exactly what lurks beyond a link and these notifications are quite common. If a website does not have a SSL certificate (HTTPS), we consider it is not safe to access it. However, if the website is HTTPS and Bitdefender displays this notification for it, we recommend not to access the website and set an exclusion on it.

In this case, if the website belongs to PayPal and it's legitimate, there might be a situation with their certificate, or even an incorrect detection.

On very rare occasions, Bitdefender may block a safe website if it exhibits suspicious behavior similar to real cyber threats.

Best regards.

Answers

• Mb876
    Options

Thank you so much.

Hope this is not a malware.

Apparently, from what you tell me, this is not.

• Mb876
    Options

Thank you.

Actually it happens when I buy something via a site and a little window opens that connects to PayPal.

I'll check it out when I pay directly through PayPal.

I must say that I don't install anything problematic on my computer and I always activate bitdefender.

Have a nice day!

• Bitdefender has recently and constantly been throwing up warnings regarding 'untrusted certificates', which when I have checked with the websites concerned (always reputable ones and ones that I have accessed for years) prove that their certificates are perfectly OK and up to date. These are annoying false positives by Bitdefender Total Security. I have reported this problem and have been asked to provide the usual logs, screenshots, etc, which I really do not have the time or the inclination to do. It is a problem with BD software and not the websites concerned and I suggest that BD needs to do more to resolve this recently developed issue.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @CaptainSwing,

There is indeed a known issue concerning the amount of warnings for 'untrusted certificates'. This is being addressed by the developers and we're expecting a fix with the upcoming releases. For now, the only workaround is to disable the Encrypted Web Scan feature.

Regards

• Cosmin P.
    Cosmin P. QA Engineer ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Would you mind providing the URL that is blocked? This should appear in the notifications area.

Regarding the malware question, this specific detection doesn't check for malware, only for the certificate's data (issuer, expiry date and so on).

Also, do you have any proxies set up, or some other security (or privacy) solutions installed on your device?

Thanks!

• Mb876
    Options

Thank you.

I do not use any proxy or vpn. 

I just have a simple router.

The alerts concern sites where I pay by paypal.

I have other alerts when I browse "google photo".

I have not installed anything that could be a vector of infection.

Nothing is installed except windows and chrome.