Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Done a System Scan - Shut Down - Now File Extensions Won't Stop Showing

Options

As in the title, I did a system scan overnight, got up during the night to see if it had finished (it had), so shut down my laptop. Now this morning I check File Explorer, the open box in Windows Media Player etc and file extensions are showing.

It seems the setting got enabled. I disable it within File Explorer however they continue to show.

How do I fix this?

EDIT: using BitDefender Total Security on Windows 11 Home.

Answers

• StevieTNZ
    Options

Tried switching into developer mode, turning off file extensions showing, then turning off developer mode. Didn't do anything.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello again.

If that didn't help you with the issue, do the following steps:

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool:

or

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been solved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 3 --

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• StevieTNZ
    StevieTNZ
    edited October 2022
    Options

"In this situation, as this part is something more related to the operating system, I will advise that you reach Microsoft for assistance, as this is mainly tied to Windows itself, and not our program."

Me: "It seems to have occurred after running a full system scan last night with BitDefender"

"From what you wrote, you performed the scan, everything was fine, shut down your device, turned it back on, then you noticed the file extensions. Given that, it does not sound that our program was the one to cause it, as this could have happened after the scan directly, not after you shut down your device and turning it back on."

Me: "I don't know if the file extensions were showing prior to the shut down and I never checked - they could have"

"At this time, that will be a question that I cannot provide an answer. I will still advise that you contact Microsoft and request their assistance, and with their guidance, they will be able to assist with the file extensions,"

I just closed the chat. Hopeless. I will follow your further suggestions.

EDIT: here is the full transcript of the chat:

Thank you for contacting Bitdefender Customer Care.

This is an automated reply to confirm that we have received your request, and that we are working on resolving your issue(s) as promptly as possible. Your assigned ticket number is 1007742747 . We advise that you keep this reference number in a safe place for further tracking/follow-up.

Regards,

Bitdefender Customer Care Team

On Sun, 2nd Oct 2022 at 12:55 am, Stevie [redacted] wrote:

Q: Please detail your request below.

A: https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/93668/done-a-system-scan-shut-down-now-file-extensions-wont-stop-showing

October 1, 2022, 5:44 pm - Razvan P. : Hello Stevie. How may I help you?

October 1, 2022, 5:44 pm - Stevie : https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/93668/done-a-system-scan-shut-down-now-file-extensions-wont-stop-showing

October 1, 2022, 5:45 pm - Razvan P. : Stevie, what questions do you have in regards to the situation described in the link? Is that something that you are experiencing at this time?

October 1, 2022, 5:46 pm - Stevie : It still continues - the file extensions

October 1, 2022, 5:47 pm - Razvan P. : On what operating system do you have this happening on?

October 1, 2022, 5:47 pm - Stevie : Windows 11

October 1, 2022, 5:48 pm - Razvan P. : And if you view in file explorer > show file extensions, you see nothing?

October 1, 2022, 5:49 pm - Stevie : it wont disable

October 1, 2022, 5:50 pm - Stevie : even if I try in developer mode, as suggested in the link I provided

October 1, 2022, 5:50 pm - Razvan P. : In this situation, as this part is something more related to the operating system, I will advise that you reach Microsoft for assistance, as this is mainly tied to Windows itself, and not our program.

October 1, 2022, 5:51 pm - Stevie : It seems to have occurred after running a full system scan last night with BitDefender

October 1, 2022, 5:53 pm - Razvan P. : From what you wrote, you performed the scan, everything was fine, shut down your device, turned it back on, then you noticed the file extensions. Given that, it does not sound that our program was the one to cause it, as this could have happened after the scan directly, not after you shut down your device and turning it back on.

October 1, 2022, 5:54 pm - Stevie : I don't know if the file extensions were showing prior to the shut down and I never checked - they could have

October 1, 2022, 5:55 pm - Razvan P. : At this time, that will be a question that I cannot provide an answer.

I will still advise that you contact Microsoft and request their assistance, and with their guidance, they will be able to assist with the file extensions,

--

I expect proper support next time I contact chat.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD Kindly check on this. Thanks.

@StevieTNZ Please, wait for their reply. Thanks.

• StevieTNZ
    Options

It seems a restart of the laptop has done the trick.