Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

New device detected - How to turn this off?

I get this banner when the laptop wakes from sleep. If BD were serious about doing stuff in the background, it wouldn't throw up a banner to say so! How do I silence this?

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hi @tarverator

Do you have a flash drive, USB drive connected? Confirm if you have Scan flash drives set to Ask every time, or Disabled. If it's set to Autoscan, it will do just that.

From the left side of the main Dashboard, Protection go to Antivirus/Open settings/Scan flash drives.

Regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Yes, I do have an SD card in the slot. I want it scanned, but I do not want to see any banner. I have Scan Flash Drives set to Autoscan.

Is there no way to scan the media without any notification?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

"Is there no way to scan the media without any notification?"

There is no way to turn those notifications off.

Everytime you insert a flash drive into your device, a pop-up notification "New device detected" will show up.

But, you could try the following:

Open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate any of these 2 profiles: Work Profile or Game Profile, because:

-- When Work Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Automatic Update is postponed

- Scheduled scans are postponed

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

-- When Game Profile is enabled/activated:

- All Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled

- Automatic Update is postponed

- Scheduled scans are postponed

- Search Advisor is disabled

- Special offers notifications are disabled

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
  • Disabling the whole ability to scan flash drives is terrible "solution." I'm sure most tech-savvy users simply have Bitdefender's "Scan flash drives" disabled because of the lack of useful options. I wouldn't mind Bitdefender scanning my flash drives, as I do occasionally use them in other systems. But since the options can't be changed, i.e., I can't create exclusions or just have the app WARN ME about a PUP or other detection on the flash drive, then the entire flash drive scanning feature is worthless. I'm IT, so I have some powerful anti-virus tools on the flash drive and port-scanning apps, etc. The last thing I want your AV software to do is arbitrarily delete my files that are on the drive for a reason. Would it be that difficult to implement the SAME options for scanning USB devices that already exist for scanning the computer itself? I think not.

• Work mode did not remove the popups for me. I cannot express how frustrating this is not to be able to disable the annoying device popup. I do a good bit of 3D printing so I'm constantly inserting and ejecting sd cards. At this point I refuse to continue to deal with this and while I've been super happy with Bitdefender so far ill be finding a better alternative without this issue once my current subscription expires.

• Hello @mackb,

Have you tried this setting? Protection => Antivirus => Settings and disable Scan flash drives:

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• given the content of this thread, this post is remarkbly tone deaf. the issue IS NOT THE SCANNING - WE WANT THE SCANNING - We DO NOT want to stupid pop up that always appears. I'm very annoyed I just renewed my bitdefender supscription.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@TGICaz ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. There is a dedicated Forum for product improvement suggestions (Product features and Ideation).

Personally, I have no issue with the popups because they alert me that BD is busy protecting me. That said, it might be worthwhile to suggest an "On/Off" switch for those specific notifications. You have nothing to lose by making the suggestion.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited January 21

Just for your information, other antimalware products like Kaspersky and ESET also have the same feature; they will also pop up a box as soon as any flash drive is inserted, even if the flash drive scan is disabled. As far as I know, this feature will remain active in Bitdefender products. While you can share your feedback in the forum category, as stated above by @garioch7 but the chances are very less that this feature will be added.

Additionally, this type of notification popup issue/query is very rare we all might have seen in this community forum.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)