Is anyone else having trouble with SpinMaze?

It is the reason I bought BitDefender. But it says I am clean of infections. This just doesn't look right and when I bin the icons they just come back. -after a while.

I never downloaded SpinMaze, I don't have games on my phone. I don't know where it came from.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

You should contact Bitdefender Mobile Support by e-mail:

bms@bitdefender.com

Regards.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited November 2022

Additionally, since I was unable to get hold of the android application package, can you download virustotal mobile application on your device from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funnycat.virustotal&hl=en_IN&gl=US and scan your device and check the detection with multiple antimalware vendors and share the screenshot if possible of the scan. Also if you can check if any vendor detects the spinmaze as malicious.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello

I have the same problem, reported to the support service for almost 1 month without any result other than a request to provide the file, while it is obviously a malware installed I do not know where...

The bit defender service is deplorable and their software does not detect this intruder.

Would anyone have a solution or an effective anti virus?

Thank you

• Flexx
    edited November 2022

Not every antimalware product can detect each and every file as malicious.

Can you download virustotal mobile application on your device from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funnycat.virustotal&hl=en_IN&gl=US and scan your device and check the detection with multiple antimalware vendors and share the screenshot if possible of the scan. Also if you can check if any vendor detects the spinmaze as malicious.

As an alternative solution, you can check on the below stated link but to share the sample with the malware researchers, I would like you to install virustotal mobile application and share the hash of the file here.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-spinmaze-from-android-virus-removal-guide/

Regards

• Hello @FlSi,

It is my understanding that the Support Teams did not receive the complete information required from you.

We have followed up on the open case and the engineers will provide a response as soon as updates are available.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello Alexandru,

Support Teams said to me that spinmaze "can collect sensitive user data", but "is clean"... It is also an update on chinese phone (I've got an HTC). Very reassuring

This Support tells me that Bitdefender considers that it is not a malicious software and invites me to make do with an organization specialized for GSM.

Unbelievable, right?

• Thank you flexx for your answer,

I downloaded VirusTotal, but I don't no what to do with it. I will try the web site.

Here's hoping that Bit Defender comes to its senses soon.

• Hello @FlSi,

Based on the malware researcher's findings, the Spinmaze app is not malware, it's a keyboard app which is installed as an update by the bundled apps on some chinese phones. It can indeed collect sensitive user data, but it is clean.

The support engineers do not have the technical means to uninstall this app from your phone, hence the recommendation to contact a specialized GSM company or the manufacturer for your inquiry.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

• Flexx

After downloading the app, run it. It will scan your device and will display the result of all the scanned applications. Initially it may not show that application is working once you open it but you need to wait until results will be displayed.

Once scanning is complete, find the spinmaze application, click on it and share the SHA-256 hash here.

For example, below is the image showing the virustotal scanning result. After completing the scan, I clicked on NFS game application and it showed me the SHA-256 hash for it.

Regards

• Flexx

@Alexandru_BD If the app is indeed clean then it should not collect sensitive user data. And if it is collecting the sensitive user data then it should not be detected as malware but instead a riskware or pua/pup. This is my take on it and if you can rediscuss this with malware researchers.

Regards

• Hi @Flexx and thanks for the insightful info on the VirusTotal app 😉

In regards to the Spinmaze app, the truth is most apps collect user data, but they first request consent to do so.

If the Bitdefender Labs mark it as clean, their decision is usually based on exhaustive research from various angles, but I will forward your feedback to them, of course.

Regards

• Thank you Flexx for these clarifications Unfortunately (or fortunately maybe), SpinMaze does not appear in virustotal. Everything is "green" and I have no idea which app to uninstall. I will look at the other option you have proposed.

• Flexx

Even if it is green, try to find the spinmaze application from all set of applications that the scan result shows and then click on it and share the SHA-256 hash. You will not be able to uninstall the application from there.

Regards

• Hello,

I share with you the solution proposed by the IT department of my company, which is in 4 lines, hoping that it will be useful to all those who will not find an answer from Bitdefender:

1 Forcing the shutdown of the two Touchpal applications (these are the ones on my phone: HTC Sense Version and SkinPack default white);

2 Empty the caches (in this case, I could only do it for one of the two)

3 Delete the SpinMaze app

4 Restart your phone.

There is also this tuto just as simple which does not target the same Touchpal application.

As a precaution, I had turned off the data for the manipulation, but I don't know if it was useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyFkuUItnHc

Thanks to all those who gave me their advice.

Sincerely.

• Flexx

This solution is already available all over the internet but this does not resolve the fact that we need the file or file hash in order to check it.

Regards