Bitdefender States 4 Data Breaches, But From Where?

trapper
trapper ✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Digital Identity Protection

Hi.

BD advise 4 data breaches on my email and to change my password. My email is used on probably over 100 various websites, forums, companies, banks etc. I have tried to keep my passwords as unique as I can. However there is no indication of where this breach came from so no clue as to what sites passwords I need to change. If I knew which website was compromised I would have a starting point.

If I remember correctly the warnings related to xss.is and breachCompilation and exploit.in

As there is no way I can identify there breaches is there a way to do that? I read somewhere when looking for a solution f-secure may give me that information, so if tehy can why not BD DIP?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @trapper,

I will do my best to provide further clarification regarding the data breaches.

To find stolen data, we scan the dark corners of the web using various methods. Once the data is found, we use a proprietary system for identity resolution to discover the identity of the breached individual, so we can alert the person about the breach, even if the breach itself includes little or outdated information.

Most commonly, breaches include information about users’ emails, passwords, names and usernames, phone numbers, and physical addresses. Their exposed data creates a snowball effect that ultimately leads to the leak, sale, or trade of entire digital identities on the Dark Web.

Breaches are not necessary found on a specific website.

They are in a compilation of usernames, passwords, phone numbers, etc. found in archives or texts on the Dark Web, in general.

The Digital Identity Protection service raises awareness about your Digital Footprint (data exposed in Surface Web) and remediation steps for data breaches (data exposed in Dark Web). However, you would not be able to change the username for a specific website, but you will be informed that in that specific period, data about you has appeared in data lists on the dark web.

This means that you could become victim of a scam. As the purpose is to raise awareness of these breaches and the data involved can be various, there are no mitigation steps for the situation. If the breach was about a password, you could have changed it, but the breach can also involve other types of data, such as phone numers, address, etc. And if these are listed somewhere on the dark corners of the web, there is no possible way to retrieve or delete them from there, because you don't have control over that leaked information.

I hope the information is helpful.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• trapper
    trapper ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

I am still trying to find out how to add more of my email addresses in Bitdefender. The copied email below is as far as I have got.There has not been any further response. I am advised to select the+ sign in my 'Dashboard' but so far I cannot find this + sign. It must be somewhere but where?

Hi Andrei.

I would appreciate a reply regarding:

1.      My comment below on the location of the + sign in my Dashboard. There does not appear to be one? Where to add email addresses?

2.      The continual notifications that another app has turned off my Web Protection when it is still turned off.

3.      The Facebook login fault that is under investigation is not that much of a problem for me, although it would be nice to see it fixed.

Best regards

Alan.

Hi Andrei.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT REFERRING TO THE NOTIFICATION PROBLEM.

I am referring to the addition of email addresses and HOW TO ADD THEM!!!!! WHERE IS THE PLUS( + )SIGN ON WHICH DASHBOARD??????

My email below states:

Hi Andrei.

Well, looked at both BD Security ‘Dashboard’ screen and BD Central ‘Dashboard’ Screen, neither has a + in the top right corner. There is an Alan a lifebelt a – and an X not an + to be seen

Are there any other Dashboard’s? Any suggestions?

This is getting rather (Very) frustrating!!

You replied to me on the 24th November:

Hello Alan, 

Thank you for your email.

If you want to add another email address, you can do this by clicking the "+" sign in the right upwards corner in the dashboard.

Thank you for understanding.

Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Andrei M.

Senior Customer Support Engineer

-------------------

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

https://community.bitdefender.com/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@trapper

Could you please write here your Ticket Number, so @Alexandru_BD could take a look at the ticket and ticket's status.

Thanks.

• Open ticket: 1007860984.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I did not give the ticket number before, apologies.

Regards

Alan

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@trapper

No worries, mate, no need to apologize.

Just wait for a reply from @Alexandru_BD.

@Alexandru_BD

Check on OP's ticket number 1007860984.

Thanks.

Regards to both of you.

• Ohps, just spotted a typo in my post above:

2.      The continual notifications that another app has turned off my Web Protection when it is still turned off.

Should read:

2.      The continual notifications that another app has turned off my Web Protection when it is still turned ON.

I cleared 72 of these notifications a short while ago but now have another 35 of the same warnings. These all apply to my A40 Galaxy and my wife's A10s Galaxy mobiles. The phone states web protection is turned on, the warnings state it's turned off.

• @trapper is this what you are looking for?

I have also asked our Support Teams to push the case forward, but it seems that there's a known issue with Web protection and the notifications that say it's disabled while it's not. The developers are looking into this.

Regards

• trapper
    trapper ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

HI Andrei M.

Replied to your email but also copied here, was not sure where to reply to.

🤔

Thank you for the update, now I have the full information I think something is not quite right. As per my attached screenshot there does not seem to be Data Monitoring button/link/option. I am sure I subscribed to D.I.P and as BD recently reported the security breach I suppose I must still be subscribed. I do not remember any reminders to renew so again assume I am still subscribed.

Hopefully you will be able to clarify the above. For myself I can only say I am a very non techy Pensioner!

Best regards.

Alan.

• Hi.

I appreciate you are very busy, however there are replies to many comments but this one seems to have been ignored.

Please see my comment above or as copied below.

"Thank you for the update, now I have the full information I think something is not quite right. As per my attached screenshot there does not seem to be Data Monitoring button/link/option. I am sure I subscribed to D.I.P and as BD recently reported the security breach I suppose I must still be subscribed. I do not remember any reminders to renew so again assume I am still subscribed.

Hopefully you will be able to clarify the above. For myself I can only say I am a very non techy Pensioner!

Best regards.

Alan".

• Hello @trapper,

After checking your Central account, I have noticed that your Digital Identity Protection license is inactive, thus this is the reason behind the message displayed in Central. You have asked for a refund in June for Premium Security and Digital Identity Protection, after which the subscriptions were invalidated and you have purchased Family Pack instead.

In regards to the Web protection notifications, the case is still open and the investigation is ongoing.

Regards

• Thank you, this might explain the VPN problem I am having (In the VPN section) it seems that these are left overs from the change of subscriptions, they were part of the Premium but not part of the Family pack? Not sure how to correct this, can you amend whatever needs amending at your end? I am away until next week now.

• Hello @trapper and thanks for getting back to us.

I have checked your Central account today and I can see that your devices are now protected by the Family Pack subscription and everything appears to be in order. Each covered device should be displayed as protected both in Central and in Bitdefender. The antivirus and Premium VPN are separate, but the basic VPN version is included in all Home User solutions, including Family Pack.

Let me know if you need anything else and if not, we'll catch up when you get back.

Until then, I wish you a Merry Christmas! 😊