Does Bitdefender Also Check Emails With The "eM Client" Email Client?

Hello.

Can anyone tell me if Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and Bitdefender Antivirus Free also check emails with the "eM Client" client?

Thanks!

Nunzio Β·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

Best Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Hello.

I think that only Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird are supported.

@Alexandru_BD @Mike_BD Anything to correct and/or add here?

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited January 2023 Answer βœ“

Even though it probably won't have a Toobar as with Outlook and Thunderbird, it sounds like if you have it set up according to Alexandru's post, emails will be scanned for malware, and spam, as far as I know with AV+. I don't keep track of the free version at all, shame on me :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer βœ“

Yes, what this man said πŸ”πŸ™‚

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    Answer βœ“

Hello,

IMAP may not download all email at once. It will bring it in chunks. For example, it can initially download headers and display the subject, etc. and the body or attachments can be downloaded later on. Bitdefender scans the emails in the driver and that's why it's very complicated to add support for IMAP.

Also, almost no vendor has IMAP scanning per se. IMAP is more similar to HTTP, basically it's a view over emails on a remote server, unlike POP3, Outlook, Exchange, etc. where the content is local or 100% accessible on a server.

I hope my explanation provides more clarity on this topic.

Regards

Answers

• So using the eM Client client with the mail accounts configured in IMAP is not protected with Bitdefender Home (both Plus and Free)? I don't care so much about spam as about malware(in attachments)/phishing protection.

Wouldn't it be better to extend the protection also for IMAP and using any mail client?

Kaspersky and Avast already do this.

Nunzio Β·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• So in the mail client is it better to configure a mail in POP3 instead of IMAP?

For my needs, since I use the email on multiple devices (PC, Smartphone, Tablet) it is more convenient for me to have it configured in IMAP.

Nunzio Β·

• I think POP3 is the one to have, yes.

• In my opinion not, better to have IMPA4.

In a world where more and more devices are used (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc...), it is better to use IMAP4 to access emails by synchronizing all folders. POP was a technology that was fine a few years ago, when mail was accessed only from the PC, but now you either view it from the WEB in a complete way or with a mail client with IMAP4. Obviously leaving out mailbox on exchange server.

I agree on IMAP4 as well as an example in this article:

https://www.serverplan.com/blog/pop3-imap/

Nunzio Β·

• Scott

Nice link, well illustrated and easy to understand article.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• @Alexandru_BD and all,

Have the check also implemented on IMAP4 it is unthinkable to think that Bitdefender does not have it...

Unfortunately I don't see new implementations and I realize that there are still bugs (at least affecting my PCs) and lack of features that are disappointing me and I look around at the competition...

I hope to change my mind over time...πŸ˜•

Nunzio Β·

• Scott
    edited February 2023

Been there, done that, and don't disagree. I presently have two different subscriptions I use to be able to use on a PC and my smartphone, for its stability and features. (mainly, for KPM and 1-click pause protection)

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 mod
    edited March 2023

Hi everyone!

Just for information and to be able to give more support to the developers. I tried to send an email (eM Client client in IMAP4) attaching infected excel files and Bitdefender detected them. Detected files saved in TEMP folder of eM Client. I managed to send before the client blocked the malicious files and BD immediately intervened. So I'd say excellent result, since officially it shouldn't intervene on mail accounts configured as IMAP4 but only POP3. πŸ˜€

P.S. However I suggest the use of the eM Client client for those looking for a valid and free mail client (as an alternative to Thunderbird). The free version is almost complete with everything except that you can configure up to a maximum of 2 mail accounts.

https://www.emclient.com/?lang=en

Nunzio Β·

• @Nunzio77 I think you will become an official independent antivirus tester pretty soon πŸ˜‚

• I'm very passionate about this subject... πŸ˜‚and I'm passionate about tests in general. I like to see what happens and how AVs act in various types of attacks. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‰

Nunzio Β·