About background process

GHM94
GHM94 ✭✭
edited April 2023 in General Topics

Hi there, just to make it clear, Im not having any issue, I'm just curious, anyone knows why bitdefender has so many processes behind? I have used kaspersky which also has tons of resources and only had 2 or 3 processes running (with BD I have 11), I have to say that kaspersky impacts a bit lower on my PC while scanning,

PS: I'd like to post an image but it doesn't let me

Tagged:

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

I promoted you to level 2. Kindly check, if you are able to share the images.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Guilhermesene
    Guilhermesene Defender of the month ✭✭✭

Hi @GHM94,

Just adding to the topic.

Well, it should be noted that each security software works differently from each other and that they have their particularities, so we should change our look to the way we observe a new software recently installed on our machine.

On the issue of performance, Bitdefender has a particularity in that if you installed the software recently, at first, it may behave a little slow because it is still getting used to and adapting to your device, so it is normal at first to find the behavior of Bitdefender strange, but rest assured that in time it will adjust to your system.

Just a curiosity regarding performance, Bitdefender uses much less CPU compared to Kaspersky (about 1% or close to it when not scanning) and more RAM (this is a positive point, see the post below).

Take care,

Stay safe

• GHM94
    GHM94 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Thank you @Flexx , but this message is still displayed whenever I try to upload an image "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links"

• GHM94
    GHM94 ✭✭

Hi there @Guilhermesene Yeah you're totally right, thats why I wanted to know about the differences, I heard that bitdefender got the same results in the offline scaning tests as in the online ones, I figured it could be related with having more RAM usage than kaspersky, and about the CPU usage, I'm not sure why, but the story always changes when it comes to performance, to many variables maybe? although I've tested both products in the same PC, its not a big difference and only happens when scaning, and by the way thanks for the article

• Flexx

• Guilhermesene

Hi @GHM94,

Yes, Bitdefender's offline detection rate is high (a plus for BD), perhaps that's also why it uses more RAM as it stores several malware signatures in RAM.

Kaspersky is increasingly dependent on its cloud (KSN), so when it is not available there is a greater tendency for problems and false positives.

On the question of CPU usage, in my point of view and in my experience with both products, Bitdefender uses much less CPU compared to Kaspersky (except during some scanning). This can be checked by opening the system task manager, normally CPU usage is around 0~1%.

Regards

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Check out the articles below.

Windows 10 64-bit - Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, SSD

Impact score: Kaspersky 1.5 - Bitdefender 6.6

Windows 10 21H2 64-bit - Intel Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, SSD

Impact score: Kaspersky 13.0 - Bitdefender 7.7

Also, here is a screenshot from my laptop's task manager, that i've just got:

Laptop: Asus X551CA

Purchased: April 2014

Specs: Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB DDR3

Hardware change: November 2018, 500GB HDD -> 120GB SATA-III SSD

OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit with the latest updates installed

OS build: 19045.2913

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

Regards.

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• GHM94
    GHM94 ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Sweet, now I can post it, its all good now, thanks @Flexx and @Alexandru_BD, here its a image when doing some scaning @Gjoksi

And this is when the program is on standby

Specs:

CPU: i7-1255U 1.7 GHz/ RAM: 16 Gb DDR4/ GPU: MX-550/ Storage: SSD NVME:256 Gb/ Windows 11

Also, thank you for the articles

• Gjoksi

Hello again.

That screenshot was taken was Bitdefender didn't do anything in the background, for example updating, system scan, quick scan etc., at that moment no Bitdefender tasks were performed.

Her's a screenshot when doing SYSTEM SCAN:

But, keep in mind that these are my settings for System Scan and Quick Scan:

So, in my case, when scanning, it is normal for Bitdefender to use much more resources than usual.

You could try the following:

1. Click the Protection menu on the left side of the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Antivirus panel, click Open.

3. Click the ••• button next to System Scan, then choose Edit.

4. In the Manage Scans window, use the drop-down menu to change Scan task priority from Auto or High to Low.

5. Click Next, then click Save.

Do the same steps for Quick Scan.

Regards.

• Guilhermesene

Hi @Gjoksi,

By the way, just out of curiosity, why did you set from Auto to High on the quick and complete checks? And what would be the advantage of that?

See, I'm not questioning you 🙂 just curious.

Regards,

Guilherme

• Flexx

Full system scans are usually performed when user is not doing anything on the PC/Laptop. So, setting high task for full system scan will increase the system resources that bitdefender product will consume and decrease the time of scan completion to certain extent.

Regards

• Gjoksi

@Guilhermesene

Hey, mate.

Here is the answer to your question:

"To speed up a System Scan, if system resources are not a concern, the following solution may be considered: run the scan in high priority mode. This will instruct Bitdefender to compete for system resources on equal terms to other programs and decrease the time needed for the scan process to finish."

That's the reason why Scan task priority is set to High.

For me, with Scan task priority set to Auto or Low, system scan finishes in 60 minutes, while with Scan task priority set to High it takes no more than 30 minutes.

So, it saves me time, no other reason.

Regards.

• Guilhermesene

Hi @Flexx and @Gjoksi ,

Thank for the information.

Interesting, I have never changed these options before, I will start using them to decrease the scanning time 🙂

Regards,

Guilherme