What are correct Firerwall settings for connecting Windows PC to NAS in Home LAN

I can no longer connect to NAS storage device from my Windows machine (laptop). For example, with the command: \\NASname , within File Explorer. Possibly a recent Bitdefender update changed settings? It used to work properly. So I need to know all the settings for creating this connection again. I have confirmed that this is the issue, as it will connect when Firewall is turned off. Also, I am connecting to NAS device, not a particular .exe file.

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH mod

Hello.

On the same issue check out these comments:

If that didn't help, your best option is to contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

Chat is the fastest way to get in touch with Bitdefender Consumer Support.

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

Regards.

• Thanks for the suggestions. What .exe file do I specify for the exception? I have not ever had this problem with BD, and used it for years. IS there an update that may have caused this?

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited July 29

Hello,

Not sure exactly what .exe file must be added there, but since you've mentioned that this only occured recently, I too suspect that an update is most probably the culprit here, and by this I meant that some firewall settings might have changed in the process, since you mentioned you can connect to your NAS with the firewall OFF.

Try to do this first and check if the connection can be established afterwards:

1. Go to Network Adapters tab and set the network type to Home/Office using thedrop-down menu near its name

2. Then, from the same Firewall Tab, click on Settings from the top-right , then, for the network you're currently connected to, uncheck the stealth mode button to disable it.

Let us know if this worked for you.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Allow an App Through the Firewall:

Click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall" on the left side.
    Click on "Change settings" and then "Allow another app..."
    Find and add "File and Printer Sharing" if it’s not listed. Ensure that both "Private" and "Public" checkboxes are checked.