What does the triangle in the system tray icon mean?

A little triangle has recently appeared in the bottom right corner of the Bitdefender icon in my system tray. What does this represent?

The manual seems to suggest this is the default icon shown when everything in okay, but I've been running Bitdefender for about five weeks (30 day trial, then I subscribed about a week ago) and the little triangle only appeared yesterday after my PC failed to shut down properly.

If it's supposed to be there normally, what does it mean when it isn't?

Bitdefender is up to date and not showing any problems.

Best Answers

• Flanksy
    Flanksy ✭✭✭
    edited September 16 Answer ✓

Good day @Anthony42,

The icon in which that you have shown above means that there are no issues that are affecting the security of your system and that you are protected.

Please do have a read on the link below for your reference. Please refer to part 2.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29603/

I hope this helps you out and answers your question.

Best Regards,

Flanksy✌️

The guardians of the digital realm

Bitdefender Premium Security, Digital Identity Protection user

Bitdefender Gravityzone user

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Anthony42

Rest assured, as @Flanksy told you your device is still protected.
    Did you activate the "enable profiles automatically" option?

I ask you this question because it can sometimes happen that the activation of automatic profiles disrupts the display of the Bitdefender icon.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

Answers

• Thanks, I had read that and am assured that my system is protected. I'm just a little confused as the icon didn't look like that until yesterday. It was the same but without the triangle in the corner, just the 'B' on a red background.

That version of the icon (without the triangle) isn't shown in the manual at all. Does it mean there is something amiss if the triangle is missing, as it was for the first five weeks of me using it?

• Flanksy
    Flanksy ✭✭✭

Hi @Anthony42,

You're most welcome, please try to follow as what @TaxiMagicien42 if you have activated the enable profiles automatically or not. Link below for your reference:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2062/?srsltid=AfmBOorfWvi3gi5azVUQrYJP1dOnQ9HivvbFiHcEqxoYN9zk5OUqbmVd

Best Regards,

Flanksy✌️

The guardians of the digital realm

Bitdefender Premium Security, Digital Identity Protection user

Bitdefender Gravityzone user

• The little triangle on the B (it's actually a stylized airplane) is the autopilot symbol which indicates that it is active.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Nunzio77

I share your point and agree with you.
    I asked about the activation of automatic profiles because sometimes (this is my case), when they are activated, the Bitdefender icon does not display correctly (missing of the symbol of the autopilot).

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• Ok @TaxiMagicien42
    So in these cases if the "autopilot" remains active but the stylized airplane symbol is no longer displayed in B, it should be reported as a bug.

Nunzio ·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• Anthony42
    edited September 16

Thanks very much everyone for your responses, just caught up. It was indeed the "activate profiles automatically" option, which had been switched on since I installed Bitdefender (I can't remember if it was on by default or if I did it myself).

For some reason, this had switched off, resulting in the icon change. If I switch it back on, the icon goes back to this, which is not shown in the manual:

So I assume it's not supposed to look that that, and there may be a problem with Autopilot when automatic profiles are active?

Edit: I still get autopilot notifications when automatic profiles are on and the icon looks like the the one in this post.

• Hi @Alexandru_BD, do you think there is a bug with the autopilot icon with automatic profile activation?

Nunzio ·

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Nunzio77

As you can see in the discussion attached, several francophone users including me, have reported to Bitdefender support that automatic activation of profiles generates malfunctions.

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2

• I don't experience the problems in that thread, only the change of icon. Although I have now noticed the message displayed when I hover the mouse pointer over the icon changes.

With automatic profiles off and the autopilot triangle shown in the icon it's: "You are safe".

With automatic profiles on and no autopilot triangle in the icon it's: "Protected. No issues are affecting the security status of your device".

Would you recommend leaving automatic profiles off? I'm not really sure what the different profiles change anyway.

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16

@Anthony42

The description you make corresponds exactly to the malfunction generated when automatic profiles are activated.
    To answer your question, I personally chose not to activate the drivers automatically. I do not consider this to be a priority for my computer’s security.

This is only my opinion. You are free to enable automatic profiles if you wish. I insist on the fact that the security of your device has in no way impacted if the profiles are activated automatically (Bitdefender icon with "autopilote" logo missing).

Regards,

Windows 11 Famille 23H2