How can I get rid of unified wintun that all of a sudden shows up on my computer?

I upgraded my Bitdefender and all of a sudden, this shows up.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx mod
    edited May 6

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Based on your selected product and the type of issue you're facing, you can get in touch with a support representative through email, chat, or a phone call.

If you choose email, you will receive a ticket number on your registered email. The support team will reply within the next 24-48 hours, excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Reviving this old thread since I've noticed it's quite viewed.

Unified Wintun is the name of the VPN adapter and it's perfectly normal to be displayed with VPN connection.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Wintun impacts the communication between my printer and computer. When I turn it off then the communication is stopped. Hp recommends turning off the VPN but this will not work.

• Flexx
    Flexx mod

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Select, Activate and InstallInstallI don't knowContact Support→You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• @spider73 are you sure it's wintun and not the firewall that's preventing access to the printer? Have you tried to disable the firewall to check if you are able to access it afterwards?

• I uninstalled wintun and everything works as it should. VPN works fine without it and the printer now works wirelessly.

• @spider73 …interesting…running into the same issue and every time I delete the wintun uni network adapter, the minute I turn the vpn on, it reinstalls. I'm gonna' call support on this because I used to use the vpn all the time and now I can't because it slows my network traffic to a crawl where things are taking forever to load. The minute I shut it off, my speed returns.

Update, support was useless and they've "escalated" my call and someone is supposed to get back to me via email. This same type of service happened when I lost my phone, but couldn't log into Bitdefender to locate it because of the MFA. It took them DAYS to get back to me which is unacceptable and now I'm being put through the same process again. I told them then and I just repeated it to the agent I spoke with, I will NOT be renewing my subscription to Bitdefender until they improve their customer support.

• Hello @jockostocko,

Following your post here, I've asked one of our technical leads to get back to you as soon as possible.

You were informed that your case requires further escalation because the Support department is layered into multiple teams who handle the tickets, and depending on the nature of the request and its complexity, it may be necessary to escalate it to a different team who can provide the relevant assistance. Some inquiries involve further information from the affected device(s), such as logs coming from the product and in some cases, remote intervention must be carried. This will help the engineers obtain a better understanding of the context and the circumstances involved. Such specific operations are carried out by a number of engineers and some inquiries may require specialized knowledge that only certain team members possess.

Increased demand also plays a role in the response times, for example there might be a surge in the number of support requests during peak times. Time zone differences can also contribute to delays. Some inquiries require extensive investigation, troubleshooting, and possibly coordination with other departments, which can also lengthen response times. Support teams often prioritize inquiries based on severity and impact, such as security issues or outages, which can delay responses to less critical inquiries. Furthermore, the Support representatives handle inquiries from multiple channels (email, chat, phone, social media), which can spread resources thin and sometimes lead to longer response times. Bottom line is, most inquiries can be resolved on the spot, while others require more time.

For what it's worth, I think we should take these factors into account when interracting with the Support teams. They always do their best to handle all incoming requests in a timely manner and will ALWAYS provide a response. However, if their initial response does not resolve the issue, further back-and-forth communication and troubleshooting can prolong the resolution time.

Thank you.

Regards,

Alex.

• Hi, joining the chat here as since Bitdefender updated the VPN (new large screen) I have for the first time been getting this Wintun 3 symbol and when I do I lose my wifi connection. I must use the troubleshooter to restart my wifi adapter, but then I lose the connection again. I must turn my VPN off for my wifi to work.

Interestingly I only have this VPN issue with my tower PC which runs WIN 11. My older laptop uses WIN 10 has no problems, neither does my Android Phone when I use VPN. Could be a conflict with WIN 11, in which I have had several updates lately.

Also of note, to sign on to this site, I had to turn VPN off, with it on I couldn't sign in.

• How did you uninstall this Wintun? I have to turn off my VPN in order to have my pc connect to the internet. Wintun is blocking connection to the modem by either ethernet or wifi. I am in my pc apps and I cannot find this Wintun. Thanks..

• Using Windows 10. I will go into the "device manager" select "network adapters" scroll down and you should see "wintun" select then "uninstall". Bitdefender VPN will drop off but you can reconnect. I have had to do this multiple times and it still comes back periodically. When looking at your wifi connection if you see a box where the wifi icon should be wintun is active again. I don't know how it gets put back on when I've uninstalled it but it does. I am looking into the windows PowerShell which is useful to remove stubborn programs. A word of caution though on PowerShell you can remove lots of other stuff but it is a useful tool.

• Hello-

My issue is slightly different. I have an older computer (Windows 7 Pro) that I have to keep due to some legacy programs I need.

Within the past 2 months or so, every time I boot up my PC, a Wintun message pops up and asks me to tell it if my computer network is at home, work, etc. It pops up every time and requires a click on 2 pop ups. I have no problem with BitDefender VPN being turned on or off.

How do I get rid of this annoying messaging every power-up or reboot?

Thanks,

• Hello @Liberty-911,

Try to disable the Wi-Fi Security Advisor in Bitdefender, or configure your home network and the pop up should normally go away. You can find the steps here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/40620/

Let us know if this worked for you.

Regards

• Turned it off per your excellent reply, but upon rebooting, it still gave me the same Wintun message; to choose Home, Work or Public.

• I also noticed that I had to define my home network, which I then did via the Wifi Security Advisor. (Didn't know about that before, but then again, I never had this issue before). Rebooted.

Still got the Wintun message upon boot up.

Now what?

• Hello,

Unified Wintun is the name of the VPN adapter. Basically, Wintun is the new network driver that Bitdefender VPN uses in Windows, it's a driver that brings a performance increase of approx. 15% and allowed the VPN developers to have a more robust implementation for some features such as split-tunneling.

I'll look into this further to see how we can help you.

Regards

• Quick question for those who experience connectivity issues without the VPN enabled: do you have Kill-Switch enabled? Any ad-blockers / anti-tracker?

• By the way. On both my iphone 13 Pro Max as well as my old PC Windows 7 Pro, I am surprised from time to time that my VPN had disconnected (which I didn't do).

• Hello @Liberty-911,

If the VPN is disconnecting randomly on Android, check if this article helps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2099/

For Windows more information is required, such as a Support Tool log. The tool gathers logs and product usage information, necessary for further investigation. Here's how to generate one before contacting the Support teams for assistance:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

• Responding to comment on regarding kill switch and blockers. Neither are active.

With that said a recent update from Bitdefender has seemed to resolve this Wintun issue.

No more issues with Wifi or VPN blocking use of sites.

• Alexandru-

I've done a support package but don't know where to email it to. Also, during the making of the debug package I got an error that I had to skip something called "desktop ???.exe" in order to let it continue.

• Thank you for following up. Indeed, a new build was rolled out yesterday and it includes a couple of bug fixes.

• I think you can ignore that error message.. In any case, the support representatives will let you know if it's necessary to generate new logs on the spot. Head to the link below and use the contact form to open a new ticket and attach the logs:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then click on 'Send us an email!' This is how the contact form looks like:

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭

Hi @Alexandru_BD  This new Unified Wintun that has turned up on my computer has dropped my download speed down to 300 Mbps. It was 700 Mbps before the Wintun showed up with BDVPN on. My speed without BDVPN on is around 900 Mbps. I've noticed in other posts about this Wintun issue that is is causing slow speeds to happen. How can I get back to the higher speeds that I was achieving before it was installed. Thanks

• Hello @dverted,

The VPN was recently upgraded and it's possible that you are still using the previous version which manifested a certain instability in some cases. This was fixed with the most recent build, but in the event you are still encountering a slowdown when connected, please reach out to Bitdefender Support, as they can help migrate your app to the new version manually, in the event this was not done automatically for some reason. They will provide a few specific steps to follow.

You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know if the network speed issue could be solved this way.

Regards,

Alex

• Hi,

I had the same problem. From 300Mbps i got 10 or 20 in almost all servers.

I went to the Unified Wintun Network Connection and I deselected the IP Version 6 in the Properties and it worked for me.

Hope this helps

Best regards

• October 10, 2024

I woke up this morning to my internet disconnected thinking it was the router so I reset that and it didn't work. I then looked at my network settings on my computer and noticed a new adaptor called "wintun tunnel," and my usual network connections had disappeared from my taskbar in Windows, including my bluetooth connections.

I was able to get the internet functioning but my network connections are all listed as public now whereas before they were private, and they are not on my taskbar anymore. I now have to access them through my control panel.

I want this reverted back to my settings before you guys updated the VPN. I do not care if there is a 15% speed increase. If you can not accommodate me then I will be cancelling my subscription. I do not like the fact the Bitdefender took over my network settings and made it so that I cannot make changes the way I used to, and that these networks are not private anymore through windows, but your software. That is not acceptable.