Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cookie & ****** Rules Deleted After Windows Update

Options

I have found that my cookie and ****** rules lists are being deleted when I install a Windows update. This has happened with both of the last 2 updates (I had not created any rules before then). Has this issue been reported before, and is there a way to correct it? It is very tiresome to have to keep entering new rules every couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hello,

No, you are the first to report it. Can you check the Windows Updates and tell me the name of the two updates in question ? Have you made any other modifications to your PC configuration or installed anything else that may have a connection to the issue you've reported ?

Depending on the updates that you installed, the issue may occur (I don't find it impossible). Please tell me the exact name of the updates and I will further investigate. Also attach the following files from BitDefender installation folder:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\privacy.xml

Last but not least provide me with the version of the following files:

- cookie.dll;

- ******.dll;

Both files can be found in the BitDefender installation folder. Default location:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\

To find the file version right click on the file and select 'Properties' then go to the 'Details' tab.

Looking forward to your answer!

• mvtrotz
    edited March 2011
    Options

DanyDan:

I will provide (via email) the information requested before the weekend.

Thanks.

Michael

• Information requested has now been provided via email to BitDefender Customer Care.

Michael

• Hello Michael,

I have found that my cookie and ****** rules lists are being deleted when I install a Windows update.

Please let me know if the issue still occur or it has been resolved. You still haven't provided me with the exact Windows Updates you are referring to. You can find a list of the Windows Updates installed in the Updates History log under Windows Control Panel -> Windows Updates.

Looking forward to your answer!

• mvtrotz
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello DanyDan:

I provided the information requested via email on Sunday. The updates were the following:

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2524375) - installed 3/23/2011

Update for Microsoft Windows ((KB2505438) - installed 3/11/2011

Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2479943) - installed 3/11/2011

The cookie.dll version is 14.0.28.276 and the ******.dll version is 14.0.28.274.

The privacy.xml file was sent via email on Sunday.

I should add that I installed another Windows update last week, using the update command from the BitDefender Vulnerability pane, and the cookie and ****** files were not affected. The previous updates were (I think) installed from Windows itself.

Thanks.

Michael

• Unknown
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello Michael,

I have made some research on the updates you mentioned and noticed that all are related to Internet Explorer issues, as follows:

- KB2524375: Install this update to resolve an issue which requires an update to the certificate revocation list on Windows systems and to keep your systems certificate list up to date.

- KB2505438: On a computer that is running Windows 7 you may experience slow performance in applications that use the DirectWrite API (for example, Windows Internet Explorer 9). Performance traces show that each application is loading all the available fonts instead of relying on the FontCache service to render the fonts.

- KB2479943: A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft.

I have tried to reproduce the issue however I was not able to. Also I would like to point out the fact that on the same day, an update was released that modified the Privacy tab features merging the Cookie and ****** control into one. I could not find nor think of any other reason why this happened. I understand the frustration of having to repopulate the cookie ****** again so I would like to suggest you to backup the list by saving the following three (3) files from:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\

- cookie.xml

- privacy.xml

- ******.xml

= where USER is the Windows Username you are currently logged on;

I also believe that the issue should not occur again however, if it does, please send me a PM (private message) directly and we will look deeper into it.

My best regards and feel free to contact us anytime should you have any further queries !