Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with spam filter

Options

I installed BD because of it's reputation and recomendations about it. I have had it for about a month and it has yet to work correctly. Numerous chat sessions, phone calls and e-mails and nothing. I have been promised return calls or e-mails on at least 10 different occasions and no one (NO ONE) has ever returned a call or sent an e-mail. I will get responses while they are on the phone or chat but the answer is we are working on the problem. The first problem I had required a complete reinstall after uninstalling other software. I did it and one problem was fixed but the main one was/is still there. Every time outlook express starts the bd spam filter goes to the default instead of how it has been set. They say someone is working on it but because I have no confidence in anything they tell me I have no idea. So does anyone in the forum know how to get them to solve a problem or give support, or does anyone know how to keep the settings on the bd spam config. so it doesn't go back to default every time you use outlook express.

Very frustrated user.

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi ad-hoc

I suggest that you clear the bayes filter (that filter is used to detect what is spam and not it contain also the settings) by first opening outlook express press on settings on the antispam toolbar and press on clear database antispam confirm by pressing on apply and ok. To save the information in the future press on the save bayes. You can also do this for the friends and spammer list. Just click on the icons. Choose for save and save it a location. To load it again browse to the location and choose for load.

To which address have you send your email? Because support@bitdefender.com is their worldwide support address. Open BD go to info and see if you can't find another contact address.

Regards

Niels

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hi ad-hoc

I suggest that you clear the bayes filter (that filter is used to detect what is spam and not it contain also the settings) by first opening outlook express press on settings on the antispam toolbar and press on clear database antispam confirm by pressing on apply and ok. To save the information in the future press on the save bayes. You can also do this for the friends and spammer list. Just click on the icons. Choose for save and save it a location. To load it again browse to the location and choose for load.

To which address have you send your email? Because support@bitdefender.com is their worldwide support address. Open BD go to info and see if you can't find another contact address.

Regards

Niels

When I try this, nothing happens. Any other suggestions.

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hi ad-hoc

Regards

Niels

Thanks for the suggestion but this does nothing. I talked with support again and all they could say was that they will extend my service 6 more months. They said that the problem is delicate and it would take longer. If I wanted a refund they would assist me in getting a refund from the store I purchased it from. The problem is after 30 days there are no refunds for software from the store I purchased it from. I have been dealing with BD for over 30 days. Hope someone else in the forum has a suggestion that works.

Again thanks for the suggestion but nothing happens when I try it.

Don

• Niels
    Options

So you tried al what I said? First clean up the bayes filter. You can try this put in the installation disc of BitDefender and run the installer but choose for repair. Try also this go to start,run,at the run dialog box type services.msc press enter restart every service that has BitDefender in the name by lefclicking on them and choose restart service. If you have saved it everytime you can then try to load it again and see if your settings are back.

• ad-hoc
    Options
    So you tried al what I said? First clean up the bayes filter. You can try this put in the installation disc of BitDefender and run the installer but choose for repair. Try also this go to start,run,at the run dialog box type services.msc press enter restart every service that has BitDefender in the name by lefclicking on them and choose restart service. If you have saved it everytime you can then try to load it again and see if your settings are back.

Thanks I will give the restart a try. I have cleaned the filter. WIll I have a problem with repair since my disk isn;' the new download that they had me install?

Don

• Niels
    Options

Hi ad-hoc

If you have the download version. Then you just have to double click on the installer there you can also choose for repair. No you don't have a problem.

Regards

Niels

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hi ad-hoc

If you have the download version. Then you just have to double click on the installer there you can also choose for repair. No you don't have a problem.

Regards

Niels

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Don

• Niels
    Options

Hopefully it will work. That was gladly done.

Regards

Niels

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hopefully it will work. That was gladly done.

Regards

Niels

Repair crashed bit defender. It will no longer run. I am having to do a complete uninstall and install again. I am sure dissatisfied with the product and their support. Even their simple programs don't work well.

Don

• Niels
    Options

Strange normally repair can't cause a crash. Have you first disabled the realtime protection? I know that I forgot that say that in my previous post. I suggest a complete uninstallation by first using the normal way via software, add and remove. Then use the uninstall tool : http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...all_Tool-10.exe Let it run reboot your pc and reinstall. Then you are sure that everything is removed. The reinstall.

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Strange normally repair can't cause a crash. Have you first disabled the realtime protection? I know that I forgot that say that in my previous post. I suggest a complete uninstallation by first using the normal way via software, add and remove. Then use the uninstall tool : http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...all_Tool-10.exe Let it run reboot your pc and reinstall. Then you are sure that everything is removed. The reinstall.

I didn't disable real time protection when I did it and only used the uninstall program. I rebooted and did a complete reinstall. THings reinstalled but I still have the same problem they can't seem to resolve. I change the default on what to do with spam from mark it read and put in deleted folder, to move it to the spam folder only. Every time I restart outlook express it goes back to the default. So I have lost all of my spammer list and have to recreate it as new spam arrives and things work the same. I surely would like this to work as advertised but they still haven't got back to me with the fix.

Thanks for all your help and I hope you have more suggestions because your have been much nore helpful than BD support itself.

Don

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi ad-hoc,

Are you, by any chance, using a Limited Windows account? I'm not sure, but you might not have enough privileges to save the AntiSpam settings.

• Niels
    Options

Hi ad-hoc

What Cris mentioned could be the reason because you can't change much when BD is runned under a non-administrator account. Did you tried to save your settings as I mentioned in my previous replies? And load them the next time. This is also a temporary solution but not a real solution.

Regards

Niels

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hi ad-hoc,

Are you, by any chance, using a Limited Windows account? I'm not sure, but you might not have enough privileges to save the AntiSpam settings.

Thanks Cris

I am in on the administrator account and have all provelages.

Don

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Thanks Cris

I am in on the administrator account and have all provelages.

Don

If there is anyone else out there with suggestions please help. I still can't cnange the spam filter options from default. Please someone help, BD doesn't seem to care and haven't replied in over a week.

• Jimbo Kern
    edited April 2007
    Options

Sorry about your problems. I have never had a problem with Bitdefender or its support staff, on the contrary they've been quite excellent.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi ad-hoc,

I don't have any other suggestions, and right now I'm far to busy to at least try to find a possible cause (and solution) to your problem. Sorry. :(

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Hi ad-hoc

You didn't answered that you have tried to save the settings before exiting outlook express. By clicking on friends,then press on save

Take also a look if the option empty current list by loading is not enabled. I took also a look and after some time also the spammer lists is cleared but I think that the spammer are added in the antispamdatabase of BitDefender. Store it on the default location. At the next start of outlook express do the same but choose for load. Then confirm by pressing on apply and ok.

Regards

Niels

• ad-hoc
    Options
    Hi ad-hoc

You didn't answered that you have tried to save the settings before exiting outlook express. By clicking on friends,then press on save

Take also a look if the option empty current list by loading is not enabled. I took also a look and after some time also the spammer lists is cleared but I think that the spammer are added in the antispamdatabase of BitDefender. Store it on the default location. At the next start of outlook express do the same but choose for load. Then confirm by pressing on apply and ok.

Regards

Niels

Did it all and still the same. It seems that BD wants to load the defaults or doesn't allow me to save settings. I am the administrator in my XP install so I have all rights. When I close and open again things are right back to the waw they were. I did the save and load, apply etc and things are the same. I wonder if there is something in their registry entry that needs to be cahnged? Still having problems. Thanks for the efforts. I called BD and was told they would be back to me in two hours. That was yesterday. Their response has not gotten any better, still none. They say they have sent it to a supervisor but I have heard that for days.

Thanks again

Don

• Niels
    Options

Hi ad-hoc

I have one other suggestion download amust registry cleaner and let it scan after invalid registry entries :

http://www.amustsoft.com/RegistryCleaner/ Check the option make an backup or something similar. Perform an express scan. It's only a trial. But you can also use ccleaner (freeware) in conjuction you can download it here : http://www.filehippo.com/download/53921335...97394/download/

Do not forget to uncheck yahoo toolbar during installation. Use the problem option make a backup when ccleaner ask it but ccleaner is safe to use but I recommend you to do that. Fix every problem.

Try also this put in the installation disc of windows: go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter after that type sfc /scannow and press enter. It could also be a problem with your account. Take a look in the other accounts to see if the settings are kept.

Regards

Niels