Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2008

Options

Hello,

I recently bought Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 and I have some problems with the firewall :

1) I have 3 computers with windows XP professional on a home network (all with this solution installed) and firewall works well, but when i try to connect to the others two pcs from mine to share files, it doesn't work. I can't see through the network the other pcs using the windows explorer. Ping to the pcs doesn't work either. I put the ip's like trusted in firewall options(Manage networks and computers zones) and nothing!.

2) I have installed Vmware Workstation 6.0 under windows XP and when i launch a virtual machine(for example a windows 2003 server) , this VM can connect to internet. The only way to do that is disabling the Bitdefender 2008 firewall installed on my XP .

My english is not good, but i hope you undestand me.

Any suggestion?

sincerely,

Comments

• Problems 2 had from version 10. You may read release note in file Readme.txt :

Start - All Programs - BitDefender 10 (or 11) - Readme.txt
  • :(

Problems 2 had from version 10. You may read release note in file Readme.txt :

The readme file only showed that it was a compatibility problem but it doesn't explain how to fix it.

I disabled the firewall and still couldn't access my printer which is on my network using a wireless computer. Worked fine after I hooked up the wire.

Which means everytime I want to print something I have to take my computer to my office and hook up a wire to print something. Thak ######!!

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Did you contact BitDefender Live Support on that issue?

• I also can not access the internet while BD 10 -also BD 11- Firewall is activated.

To deactivate the Firewall is not very good, but the only opportunity I found till today.

Sad!

VMware Server 1.0.4.

• Niels
    Options

Hello edvler

You can try this for the 2008 product line (version 11).

Best regards

Niel

• Hello edvler

You can try this for the 2008 product line (version 11).

Best regards

Niel

Thanks, but there are a lot of open questions when following this very short tip.

I really hope that BD can fix it that bug very fast by normal update!!!

I have not the time to get through that for hours!

Unfortunately I told several customers to buy that software... and now I have the problem with it!

This is not the only problem with BD 10 or 11.

Sad!

• Hi.

Any new infos? I have the same problems with VMWare and Bitdefender 2008. Can't access internet and network drives out of VMWare. I asked the support but they just said that it is not their problem it is the problem of VMWare and they can't help.

Regards gerdk

• Memyself
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hi.

Any new infos? I have the same problems with VMWare and Bitdefender 2008. Can't access internet and network drives out of VMWare. I asked the support but they just said that it is not their problem it is the problem of VMWare and they can't help.

Regards gerdk

I have another Virtual Machine brand : Parallels

It is blocked too

Even if the IP address is in a authorized zone

When i stop BD firewall it is OK

I was a McAfee user, i just bought your solution and i have a big problem...

Sad

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello,

I'm using Virtual PC 2007 with Windows XP as guest OS (also, WinXP is the host OS) and everything works just fine. I can access the internet from within the virtual environment.

Are you sure you allowed the Virtual Machine software to act like a server on the real machine? Also, have you tried moving the Virtual Machine software rule on the first position in BD Firewall? Maybe there's a rule with higher priority that blocks the ports needed by VMWare.

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Hello Memyself

I suggest that you run also the mcafee removal tool. You will find the download link in this topic. It could be that there are still remaints that can conflict with BitDefender. Follow also the instructions with ccleaner and regcleaner. After that try what Cris said.

Best regards

Niels

• Anyone seen a solution for this? It's a weird problem - ICMP works fine - as soon as I initiate a TCP connection - it breaks. Disable Bitdefender - and it starts to work.

Ronald

• gerdk
    edited October 2007
    Options

I tried all that stuff you explained above. Nothing new. It is not possible to access the internet or a NAS drive in the network out of VMWare.

So any other solutions?

There are also a lot of people in the german forum that have the same problems, also with Windows Vista and Virtual PC 2007. So the possibility that it is a problem with Bitdefender 2008 is very high.

Regards gerdk

• For what it's worth, I have this same problem with VMware and BitDefender. I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread, but the only thing that works is to turn off the BitDefender firewall, which always works. The problem is obviously there. Hope to get some news soon!

The suggestion in the readme file: "the application doesn’t work with VMWare virtual adapters. Workaround: disable the binding for these adapters from "Local Area Connection Properties"." is entirely too vague to be of use (i.e., what are "Local Area Connection Properties"?). The suggestion in the online FAQs seems to be about an unrelated problem.

• I am having the same problem with the firewall and Virtual PC 2007 on Windows Vista. The only workaround is to disable the firewall. Since I do a lot of work with VPC, this means that I have to disable the firewall most of the time.

• This is still a problem... Any word on a fix? I seem to have to disable the firewall most of the time (vmware, VPN etc) and it's at the point that I'm not going to buy this again when my subscription runs out. Norton and others don't have this problem!

• This is still a problem... Any word on a fix? I seem to have to disable the firewall most of the time (vmware, VPN etc) and it's at the point that I'm not going to buy this again when my subscription runs out. Norton and others don't have this problem!

Ditto with respect to VPN usage: What use is an internet security suite without a useable firewall? This problem has been around for quite awhile, so BD has had plenty of time to figure out some workaround.

Has anyone experimented with creating dummy profiles (e.g., in c:/Program Files/BitDefender/BitDefender 2008/Firewall/Profiles)? Although the combinations for a given subnet mask (e.g., 10.0.*.*) in principle would require 65K, I'm guessing that for a particular server, only a few hundred IP addresses might be actually used.

Thus it might be feasible to write a ****** to generate 1000 or so profiles based on a template and update profiles.xml accordingly. (Apparently, the profile update has to be done in the XP console, as the directory is locked out during normal operation, as I found out during experimentation.) True, this is potentially risky, but turning off the BD firewall and relying upon windows firewall definitely is riskier.

Of course, this default profile maintenance is what BD-2008 should be doing (as with BD-10)! But, I doubt that will be done before BD-2009. It would be nice if BD looked after technical users once in a while rather than concentrating on the newbies.

Tom

• Of course, this default profile maintenance is what BD-2008 should be doing (as with BD-10)!

Well this was added in about a month ago: nice of BD support not to notify me even when I checked back about my ticket two weeks ago. I suppose we're supposed to monitor all the menu and dialog items to find out when changes have been made.

Thus fortunately the dummy profile creation ****** is not required and instead 'Apply the same (generic) profile to all new networks' should be clicked under advanced settings. But you might have to wipe out old profiles for this to be active. Unfortunately there still seems to be problems related to VPN usage.

• Hello,

I recently bought Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 and I have some problems with the firewall :

1) I have 3 computers with windows XP professional on a home network (all with this solution installed) and firewall works well, but when i try to connect to the others two pcs from mine to share files, it doesn't work. I can't see through the network the other pcs using the windows explorer. Ping to the pcs doesn't work either. I put the ip's like trusted in firewall options(Manage networks and computers zones) and nothing!.

2) I have installed Vmware Workstation 6.0 under windows XP and when i launch a virtual machine(for example a windows 2003 server) , this VM can connect to internet. The only way to do that is disabling the Bitdefender 2008 firewall installed on my XP .

My english is not good, but i hope you undestand me.

Any suggestion?

sincerely,

Hi Jose,

I had similar problems with VMWare and the Bitdefender firewall (Internet Security 2008). I initially had VMWare installed on Windows XP with a Debian

Linux guest and everything was working fine, I could access the web from the guest OS through NAT. After installing Bitdefender on the host I could

suddenly not access the web from the guest OS although I could ping any IP and traceroute was also working for any IP but not for domain names.

After a fairly long trouble shooting session I did finally solve it, this is what I did:

1. I added the vmnat.exe application to the bitdefender profile on both the inbound and outbound traffic,

2. I discovered that (when using NAT) VMWare creates some sort of virtual device only visible from inside the guest OS that provides DHCP and DNS services,

the address of this device I found in the /etc/resolv.conf file of the guest OS where it was specified as the nameserver.

3. After viewing a tcpdump session's output on the guest OS I found that this device was now refusing my DNS queries, I could also verify this

with nslookup.

4. I proceeded to do a nslookup on the host OS and could determine from the output the IP address of the DNS that the host was using, I replaced the

IP address of the nameserver in the guest /etc/resolv.conf file.

I am still not sure exactly what the cause of the problem is but this workaround works for me, I know you have got a Windows guest but I hope this

sheds some light on your problem.

I tried to keep the explanation as short as possible, if you are still having trouble with this issue and the explanation is not clear, feel free to

send me an email and I will try to explain in more detail.

Regards

Pieter van Schaik

vansterpc@gmail.com

• What about bridged connections?

• Hey

Ok, seems to me everyone has this problem but I couldn't find any solution (for BitDefender Internet Security 2008) :-( anywhere!!!!!!!!

I'm running XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server on Virtual PC 2007. A can do everything while firewall is inactive but when I turned it on everything goes haywire... I didn't buy this solution not to use this REALLY GREAT feature so, PLEASE, a solution is highly required. For me this is a BIG MUST because all my work is based on this two machines.

Cheers

• dnf1982
    Options
    Hey

Ok, seems to me everyone has this problem but I couldn't find any solution (for BitDefender Internet Security 2008) :-( anywhere!!!!!!!!

I'm running XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server on Virtual PC 2007. A can do everything while firewall is inactive but when I turned it on everything goes haywire... I didn't buy this solution not to use this REALLY GREAT feature so, PLEASE, a solution is highly required. For me this is a BIG MUST because all my work is based on this two machines.

Cheers

Did you first remember to remove the firewall that came with the XP from the programs before installing BitDefender? If you didn't, it won't install properly.

• Did you first remember to remove the firewall that came with the XP from the programs before installing BitDefender? If you didn't, it won't install properly.

No I didn't. The firewall is working properly in my XP but it affects my Virtual Machine (blocks some services)... If I turn off BitDefender's firewall all works fine :-(

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Andre Carrilho,

So did you, or did you not disable Windows Firewall? As dnf said, you have to disable Windows Firewall because it might cause problems if it's enabled in the same time with a 3rd party firewall (such as BitDefender's).

Also, what setting did you use to get internet in your guest VM? I also use Virtual PC 2007 everyday, with two separate VMs, both work fine with BD Firewall.

So if in Virtual PC you've set the VM to use NAT to get internet connection, you also have to be sure that you allowed full access to the internet to Virtual PC.exe in BitDefender Firewall.

If NAT doesn't work, you could try to set it to use directly you network adapter (but this means that you have to configure the guest OS the same as you configured the Host OS, to take a valid IP, DNS, Gateway, etc...)

Cris.

• Hello Andre Carrilho,

So did you, or did you not disable Windows Firewall? As dnf said, you have to disable Windows Firewall because it might cause problems if it's enabled in the same time with a 3rd party firewall (such as BitDefender's).

Also, what setting did you use to get internet in your guest VM? I also use Virtual PC 2007 everyday, with two separate VMs, both work fine with BD Firewall.

So if in Virtual PC you've set the VM to use NAT to get internet connection, you also have to be sure that you allowed full access to the internet to Virtual PC.exe in BitDefender Firewall.

If NAT doesn't work, you could try to set it to use directly you network adapter (but this means that you have to configure the guest OS the same as you configured the Host OS, to take a valid IP, DNS, Gateway, etc...)

Cris.

Hello Cris

What I meant in my previous post was that I did not disable the host firewall while installing BitDefender. Afterwards I was quite certain that I had disabled windows firewall and used only BitDefender's but I guess I was wrong :-(. After reading your post today I disabled it and all works fine only with BitDefenders firewall.

I appreciate your help on this. I would like to thank dnf also for replying :-).

Cheers to all

André Carrilho

• For what it's worth : i had the same problem using Windows XP and VMware Server 1.0.6 en using NAT for my VM to connect to the Internet.

In the DOS-console executing the command ipconfig /all didn't show up the VM Host adapter VMnet8. But in Windows XP network he was there.

In the Virtual Network Settings of VMWare, tab Host Virtual Adpaters, i saw this VMnet adpater being disabled. Enabling wasn't possible.

So i removed the Host Virtual Adapter VMnet8. Then i just added the same adpater again. At that point BD started asking me what kind of network i was using. After that the in the WindowsXP network devices the VMnet8 adpater was active again. And enabled.

So from now on i CAN Internet from my VM AND connect to the VM from my LAN.

Hopefully this will solve some problems with the combination of VMware en BD.

Kind Regards,

Mark

• Sorry for my previous post there thread about this problem

I have running vista and xp home edition on Virtual PC 2007 and have a problem to connect with internet i must disabled the firewall of bitdefender 2009 in vista. Have someone a solution for this problem ?