Bdav2012 & Zone Alarm (free Firewall)

As per DanyDan in this thread (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=28307) BD Antivirus 2012 & Zone Alarm firewall can coexist. But the BD installer forces me to uninstall ZA first. Yes, I can (and did) reinstall ZA after the BDAV install was done. But then ZA has to re-learn all of its "allows" & "blocks".

If only the Firewall of ZA is installed, then the BDAV install should be allowed to continue. If the BDAV installer cannot determine which ZA component is installed, then it should provide an option to bypass the ZA removal if the user can verify what ZA he has.

I will likely install BDAV2012 on a few more machines that also have the ZA Firewall. I would prefer not to have to reinstall ZA and put the end users through the inconvenience of ZA's "learning" (they don't always know the correct responses, and they consider it a nuisance).

Please update the offline installer package, as well, to accomplish the above.

Comments

• Hi chrisj

Thank you for your feedback.

Theoretically, Bitdefender Antivirus should work with any 3rd party firewall. But in some cases, the firewall has some modules that can't coexist with the Active Virus Control module from our product.

I will take your request in consideration and I will send it to our Dev team, but I can not guarantee you it will be approved.

Starting with V10, the ZA kit is modular. If you enter a serial number in the free version it can be upgraded to a superior. In this case, all the modules are installed on the system and can be activated if the key is valid(the antivirus module, parental control module, etc).

Also, Bitdefender Antivirus uses our firewall driver to scan the HTTP traffic and IM traffic. That's why during the installation, the ZA product is removed from the system.

If the 2 products run smoothly together, you can keep them. If not, let me know and we will find a solution for this case.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Have a great weekend.

• Thanks Cristi,

I'm running the free ZA firewall, version 8.0.298 on the machine with BDAV2012 (and working just fine), and 7.0.483 on others. My issue is with having to remove & reinstall ZA, and thereby ZA having to re-learn its allows & blocks, and the resulting inconvenience to end users other than myself.

• Hi

That product doesn't have an export/import module for the rules?

Thank you.

• I am also thinking of turning off the firewall on my BDIS 2012 and install ZA free firewall, tell me did you encounter any problems (BSOD, slowdown etc)?

• Hi

In your case Pozzo, you can not use ZA free on your machine. Even if you turn off the firewall module, the drivers are still loaded during system startup because you have the Internet Security suite installed.

ZA Free should work fine with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012, but as you can see in this post,

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=126726

in some cases, the 3rd party firewall is not compatible with our product.

Thank you.

• Cristi: Nope, no export/import with the free version. I think the paid version does, but can't say for certain.

Pozzo: Nope, no problems. And I've been running the free ZA for several years, with BDAV 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and now 2012.

• Welcome back chrisj

Thank you for your feedback.

@ Pozzo

chrisj has Bitdefender Antivirus, not Internet Security like you.

Have a great weekend.

• pozzo
    edited November 2011

Okaay, BDIS then can cause conflict with ZA free even if i turn off the firewall? I've pretty much turned off everything else except AV module (even there IM scan is turned off, I don't use IM, HTTP is on though)!

• Welcome back Pozzo

Yes, it can conflict because the firewall driver is still loaded in the memory.

You should not use this combination on your machine.

• Okay then :o But as you can see many people are having this problem. Please can you forward our concern to the people who can release an update fix? Thanks for your help.

• Hello Pozo

I've forwarded the information to our Dev Team, but I don't know if it will be approved(regarding Bitdefender Antivirus installer forcing users to uninstall ZA Free).

Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

• oh :unsure: There's been a miscommunication! Although, Cristi, your forwarding the ZA issue is good to know, but I meant the firewall issues we're having right now :unsure:

• Hi Pozzo.

That issue will be discussed in the initial topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...c=30270&hl=

Thank you.

• I've forwarded the information to our Dev Team, but I don't know if it will be approved(regarding Bitdefender Antivirus installer forcing users to uninstall ZA Free).

Any news from the developers on this issue?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello

Until now, I don't have any news.

They are still discussing this. I will get back to you when I have fresh information.

Thank you.