Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved]very Strange

Options

Hi,

I was running BD Tune-Up and I received a pop-up from Windows Firewall asking for network access permission for one of the BD modules !!

1.) I checked "Action Center" - Windows FW is OFF and BD FW is on.

2.) Started looking in the event logs and found the entry - see the attached screen shot of the event entry.

3.) I have found many similar entries in this log relating to BD.

4.) The event log is: Microsoft / Windows / Windows Firewall with Advanced Security / Firewall

What is going on ?

Thanks

Ross

post-85950-1328662740_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hi. It's Windows bit defender that is doing that, not the windows firewall. They are different. I think everything is normal in your PC.

• Hi. It's Windows bit defender that is doing that, not the windows firewall. They are different. I think everything is normal in your PC.

Hi

I have seen the BitDefender pop-up many times when I was running in "paranoid" mode - This was not a BD window. It was a Windows pop-up.

Cheers

• LordNakhlan
    LordNakhlan ✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hi,

I was running BD Tune-Up and I received a pop-up from Windows Firewall asking for network access permission for one of the BD modules !!

1.) I checked "Action Center" - Windows FW is OFF and BD FW is on.

2.) Started looking in the event logs and found the entry - see the attached screen shot of the event entry.

3.) I have found many similar entries in this log relating to BD.

4.) The event log is: Microsoft / Windows / Windows Firewall with Advanced Security / Firewall

What is going on ?

Thanks

Ross

According to the event log, somehow your Windows firewall is still on. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting this, to my knowledge. I would first make sure that all of your Windows updates have been downloaded and installed, then double-check your Windows Firewall configuration to ensure it is set to defaults, then turn it on, restart your computer, then turn it back off. If this still doesn't work, you could go to "Start" then "Run" and type 'msconfig' (without the quotation ticks).

You might check the "Services" and "Startup" tabs to see what Microsoft services are running. If you don't see anything there, go to 'services.msc' via "Start" and "Run" and check to see if the Windows firewall service is started. If it is, I would change it to either manual or disabled startup. Restart your computer and monitor the situation to see if issue is resolved and let us know.

• According to the event log, somehow your Windows firewall is still on. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting this, to my knowledge. I would first make sure that all of your Windows updates have been downloaded and installed, then double-check your Windows Firewall configuration to ensure it is set to defaults, then turn it on, restart your computer, then turn it back off. If this still doesn't work, you could go to "Start" then "Run" and type 'msconfig' (without the quotation ticks).

You might check the "Services" and "Startup" tabs to see what Microsoft services are running. If you don't see anything there, go to 'services.msc' via "Start" and "Run" and check to see if the Windows firewall service is started. If it is, I would change it to either manual or disabled startup. Restart your computer and monitor the situation to see if issue is resolved and let us know.

Thanks.

I checked - and the service was running. I have stopped it and disabled it. The strange thing is "Action Center" shows it as being "off". Still find it strange that it was not disabled when I installed BD. Never had a reason to look further until I saw the pop-up the other day. I have been busy on a course this week so I did not have time to dig further (I am a UNIX & Mainframe type techie - more of just a user as far as Windows goes). BTW - Win 7K Pro Sp1 + latest fixes 64 bit.

Once again thanks

Ross

• LordNakhlan
    Options
    Thanks.

I checked - and the service was running. I have stopped it and disabled it. The strange thing is "Action Center" shows it as being "off". Still find it strange that it was not disabled when I installed BD. Never had a reason to look further until I saw the pop-up the other day. I have been busy on a course this week so I did not have time to dig further (I am a UNIX & Mainframe type techie - more of just a user as far as Windows goes). BTW - Win 7K Pro Sp1 + latest fixes 64 bit.

Once again thanks

Ross

No problem man. By the way, I am AIX 6.1 certified, but unfortunately don't have an opportunity to use that skill much. Also, I see you are from Canada. I love Canada, man. Beautiful country. Hope to make it to Montreal one day as I do have a friend up there. Anyway, enough of getting off topic. Glad to help.

• rootkit
    Options

Hi Ross.

In order to investigate the current issue, I need some logs from your machine.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

Thank you.

• Hi Christian,

Please see my previous reply to LordNakhlan. The issue has been resolved .... somehow the Windows firewall service has been turned back on (or was never completely turned off). Action Center indicated that only the BD firewall was running - but when I dug deeper as suggested by LordNakhlan the Windows Firewall service was running. I disabled it in Services (services.msc) and in start up (msconfig) and all is good now. I have not had any similar events recorded in the event log since.

Also appears that my browsers are performing somewhat better .... :D

Many Thanks

R

• rootkit
    Options

Hi :)

Thank you for your feedback.

Since this issue has been solved, I declare this topic closed.

Have a great day.

This discussion has been closed.