Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd 2k12 Av Removes Spybot S&d Immunizations?

Options

Hello All,

BD 2k12 AV on both a laptop and a desktop. Have Spybot installed (afterwards) but without any realtime modules. However what I do use is the immunization feature.

Now the ones for Internet Explorer the immunizations stay in place. However for Firefox they will be gone after the next reboot.

With BD off the system this does not occur.

Does anyone know how I can stop BD from removing these immunizations?

Thanks.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hello

Running multiple security solutions on the same PC may affect their proper functionality as they compete for access to the same system resources. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background.

We recommend you to uninstall other security solutions in order for Bitdefender to work properly.

Thank you.

• Hello,

this is not really a satisfactory answer. And it does not bode well to tell paying customers not to use any security solutions other than the one installed, especially if programs like MBAM and SpyBot S&D are concerned, that can be used manually, without any realtime components and do not suffer intrusions into their workings from AV solutions from other vendors such as ESET. It's not like I have a second antivirus installed and the standard reply that was posted implies just that - no knowledge on the part of the paying customer as to what constitutes realtime security programs and manually run ones with DESIRED features.

But rather than ranting, back to the topic:

I do not use ANY real-time features of Spybot S&D, like SDHelper or TeaTimer. Their immunization function does this:

"The Immunize function prevents e.g. Tracking Cookies from entering your system. Immunize works with Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera, allowing you to adjust specific settings of the browser to block known spyware installers, (and similar baddies) already included in Spybot-S&D's database. You start the Immunize function by clicking on Spybot-S&D → Immunize on the left navigation bar."

and

"Beginning with version 1.2, Spybot-S&D has been allowing you to immunize your computer against some spyware. This has been extended in every further release, and tweaks browser settings to use their methods of blocking cookies, malware installations, bad websites and more."

I.e. Spybot makes changes to the BROWSER configuration and after it has done this, until the next time I run it manually, Spybot is never even executed and has no "hidden" processes running. And on the next reboot, BD comes along and undoes those changes.

Why does BD do this? I have BD 2k12 AntiVirus installed. I expect that not to meddle with my browser configuration, especially when settings have been adjusted that improve the security performance of my browser.

Further, why is BD touching the Firefox settings that were adjusted by Spybot and not those for IE and the Windows HOSTS file?

See attached image. After immunization the Firefox entries are not immunized, whilst the IE and HOSTS ones are.

I would appreciate a competent answer this time. Standard answers that do not address the problems of paying customers only lead to one thing: customers not renewing their licences.

post-83835-1330344180_thumb.png

• It appears that this "problem" has disappeared with recent BD updates. BD no longer touches immunization settings installed by Spybot S&D.

Considered this "solved".

• Actually, this problem is still occurring. It is after a few reboots that the modifications to the Firefox configuration are again undone by BD.

• I think that you have only updated once. Please try to check for updates again once,and it will be nice if you could remove other antivirus from your system

God never made his work for man to mend vmware_happy.gif

• I think that you have only updated once. Please try to check for updates again once,and it will be nice if you could remove other antivirus from your system

Updated what only once? The first few reboots after immunizing with Spybot, the Firefox immunizations are untouched. After that they are reset. This only occurs when BD is installed.

And Spybot S&D is NOT an antivirus program and I very much see fit to use it on my system.

It really seems that no-one can offer a competent technical answer as to why BD touches those Firefox settings that Spybot S&D modifies.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

First off all, have you considered that the issue is actually caused by that software and not by Bitdefender?

Have you checked to see if that other security software is compatible with the latest version of Bitdefender?

Those passive methods are practically useless in a dynamic environment

We do recommend to keep just one security solution installed, in this case Bitdefender.

Why? It's pretty simple. In these days, all free versions of some security products are designed to be upgraded to the licensed version just by entering the serial/activation number in the product.

This means that all the drivers are loaded during Windows Startup and the module is practically unavailable in the main interface. And this could cause conflicts, crashes, etc.

That's we recommend you just to keep Bitdefender on you system.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• Hello,

yes, indeed I checked. This symptom only begins to occur once BD is installed. Without BD on the system and ESPECIALLY with other security solutions, this does not occur. I did mention this before.

And as I said before, you should leave the choice of what a user choses to apply in additional protection up to the user, especially if that user is well informed. There's no point telling me that the immunizations are useless, because I like to have them in place. Telling me that I should basically not do something with my system that I wish to do will, in the end, just lead to me picking a security solution that does not touch configuration settings that I wish to have in place.

Anyway, I can see that this is not going to be investigated any further, so please consider this closed.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Yes, of course, is your choice to do those immunizations on your PC, but is also my duty to warn you about the consequences.

Since you consider this a closed subject, I will now close this topic.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.