Just A Few Questions

Hello everyone.....to begin with, this is my first new computer, e-machines with windows vista, and I no longer have McAfee installed on it. It was too much of a drag on download time...I have dial-up, by the way. Just have a few questions;

#1. The free software I downloaded here says its free and the key is good for another 364 days? At that time do I uninstall the software and reinstall it?

#2, Does the free software contain a firewall?

#3. Can someone tell me if my current system is properly protected...this is the first time I have ever had to do this security stuff myself. Besides the free bitdefender I just installed, I have defender that came with my computer, spywarebot, error killer, a privacy control software, Antispyware bot, and zonealarm firewall, the last listed I have not got to install yet, but am doing so tonight.

I also know I have a virus thing that can't get rid of, I'll go into that in the forum below this one.

Comments

• Hello jrheavymetal,

#1. The free software I downloaded here says its free and the key is good for another 364 days? At that time do I uninstall the software and reinstall it?

I assume you are talking about BDv10 Free. Please be more specific about the product versions, because there are many BitDefender versions on the website.

BDv10 Free comes with a pre-activated license key that is valid for one year. When it expires, yo can contact LiveAssistance for a new, free-of-charge license for it.

#2, Does the free software contain a firewall?

No. BDv10 free only have On-Demand Antivirus, Antispyware and Antirootkit scan. It doesn't offer any realtime protection and it mustn't be used alone on computers connected to the internet.

BDv10 Free should only be used as a second opinion, in case your primary AV reports something suspicious, or when you believe a file is infected and your primary AV doesn't report it.

#3. Can someone tell me if my current system is properly protected...this is the first time I have ever had to do this security stuff myself. Besides the free bitdefender I just installed, I have defender that came with my computer, spywarebot, error killer, a privacy control software, Antispyware bot, and zonealarm firewall, the last listed I have not got to install yet, but am doing so tonight.

I don't know what to say about this. Except for ZoneAlarm, I haven't heard about the other products that you've mentioned.

However, I can recommend you SUPERAntispyware (which is said to be the best antispyware product), or Ad-Aware. Both products are freeware.

Cris.

• Hello jrheavymetal

I have some remarks on the software you have installed on your computer.

You have installed some rogue software on your computer. I recommend that you uninstall spyware bot, antispyware bot,error killer.

A very good malware removal software is superantispyware,spybot search & destroy.

Best regards

Niels

• Hiya All,

Ok can any 1 pls tell me why Bd gives me Application.Generic.2603 Detected after a scan, it will not let me delete it only Quarantine it. Have look on knowage Base but can't find any inform. Am using XP SP2 wit Bd IS2008 lastest. Any1 help pls?

Cheers

Paul

• Hiya All,

Ok can any 1 pls tell me why Bd gives me Application.Generic.2603 Detected after a scan, it will not let me delete it only Quarantine it. Have look on knowage Base but can't find any inform. Am using XP SP2 wit Bd IS2008 lastest. Any1 help pls?

Cheers

Paul

Hello Paul13

That is a detection that is used for tools that can be misused. But they are legit. Which program was being moved (placed into quarantaine)?

Best regards

Niels

• Hello Paul13

That is a detection that is used for tools that can be misused. But they are legit. Which program was being moved (placed into quarantaine)?

Best regards

Niels

Hi Niels,

The is Kodak EasyShare which i use to print my Dig Photo's

cheers

Paul

• Hello Paul

It could be a false positiv. Please make a new topic in the malware section. Only a virus researcher can give you an exact answer.

Best regards

Niels

• Hello Paul

It could be a false positiv. Please make a new topic in the malware section. Only a virus researcher can give you an exact answer.

Best regards

Niels

Niels,

Thanks for the help will try and start a new thread but have not done it b4 so look out

cheers

paul