Right Click Menu?

New bug again...

Previously, if i right clicked any file on my computer, i could choose to scan the file with bitdefender.

Now, the bitdefender options are gone.

There is no way i can ask for bitdefender to scan one specific file when i want.

Why is that and how to fix it?

Comments

• New bugs...

BD2011 is just a huge headache...

on older versions, i used to right click any file on my computer, and on the menu that appears, some options related to bitdefender were available. Options such as "scan this file", etc.

Now i don't have any options related to BD.

If i want to scan a single file that i downloaded form the internet, there is no way.

why is that?

• It should do a contextual scan as shown in this screen shot:

post-35640-1302650954_thumb.jpg

If your installation doesn't show that in the menu, your installation of BD may be corrupt.

I would first recommend running a Repair on BD. If that doesn't help, you may need to use the BD Uninstall Tool to completely remove BD and then do a re-install.

Regards,

• Hello,

Not sure what that image shows since i can't open it.

says:

BitDefender Forum

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Anyway... performing a repair on BD.

Will post updates soon.

• It shows the right-click context menu with the 'Scan with BitDefender' option.

Here is an external link to the same screen shot. Maybe that will work better for you.

Regards,

• That is exactly what i used to have, but no longer do.

If repair BD does not work, what software do i have to download to uninstall BD and where do i get a good working updated version of bd?

• Repair and updates just finished and still no option to scan files.

• Uninstalled BD (had to do it 2x to remove everything 100%), reinstalled fresh new copy, updating as we speak, but the right click option is back.

Hope the "unable to update" bug doesn't happen again.

• For future reference, the BD Uninstall tool can be found in this pinned topic.

Also, the direct download links for all BD products can be found in this pinned topic.

Hopefully, your issue is resolved.

Regards,

• It would be too good to be true...

After removing Bd, and installing a new copy, it started updating BD.

After the 2nd update, it rebooted and completely messed my windows user profile.

My documents, my pictures, my desktop picture, my desktop icons, installed programs...all gone.

Tried to recover the system to a previous one, before the bitdefender installation and it didn't work.

Have now formatted my pc...installed bd (again) updating windows as we speak... lost 1 month of emails... all installed programs and user profiles from those programs.

And in the end... Bitdefender just doesn't provide the confidence as it did back in 2008 when i first bought it.

• Mihaela M.
    edited April 2011

Hi Tiago Arantes,

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our services. Now, after you reinstalled BitDefender, can you run a Contextual Scan on a specific file ? In case you do not, please give me more details about your system (CPU, Ram Memory, System Type...) and also follow the steps explained in THIS article and send me a PM with the generated log file.

Thank you!

• Hello,

Yes, now i can run a contextual scan on a specific file with right click options.

BD seems to be working now.

However, automatic updates are turned ON, but i am not sure it is working since, just for some peace of mind, i decided to manually look for updates and it did download one (small) update.

Still plan on spending the weekend installing programs, and recovering for lost files. And, although BD tech support in the US (yes i called US phone support) insisted that the mess up was not caused by BD, i am still 110% sure it was.

I pray for no more problems with BD for the next year and a half.

Regards,

Tiago Arantes

P.S. - Is the Bitdefender office in Portugal still working? They really don't reply and seem to be non existent now.

• Hi Tiago Arantes,

I am glad to hear that now you can use the Contextual Scan. Regarding your complaint about our support from Portugal, could you provide me with the Ticket ID you received when you mailed them ?

Thank you!

• The solution is simple, but hard to find:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\bdshellext.dll"

You have to re-register the Bitdefender shell extension module in order to have displayed Scan with Bitdefender command in the context menu again.

Regards,

Zoli

• Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

You can use that command, but for the novice users is recommended to repair the product.

Thank you.

• Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

You can use that command, but for the novice users is recommended to repair the product.

Thank you.

Hey Christian, I've just registered on this forum specifically so that I could tell you how shocking I find your attitude in this matter.

So, the OP's problem could have been solved with a simple copy and paste of a single line into a command prompt, but instead you decided to send him off on a journey that had him repair, then remove and re-install his software because you thought that was an easier thing for a novice to do? Are you insane?

The poor advice that you provided saw that user lose his entire Windows profile - and hours of work and untold inconvenience. Had you instead provided the correct advice then his problem would have been resolved in around 5 seconds.

If I cast aside how useless and in fact counter-productive your advice was here, your attitude also stinks. If you cause a user to lose their entire Windows profile with poor and unprofessional advice then the very least you can do is give them a year's free subscription and thank them a thousand times for re-installing your buggy software. Had this happened to me then I wouldn't have let your software anywhere near my machine ever again, and here he is putting it back on his machine right after a reformat. If that's not loyal custom then I don't know what is.

If I was your boss there's no way you'd still be on this forum. In fact I'm currently undecided on whether or not you'd be working for the company at all.

Disgusting.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Hey Christian, I've just registered on this forum specifically so that I could tell you how shocking I find your attitude in this matter.

So, the OP's problem could have been solved with a simple copy and paste of a single line into a command prompt, but instead you decided to send him off on a journey that had him repair, then remove and re-install his software because you thought that was an easier thing for a novice to do? Are you insane?

The poor advice that you provided saw that user lose his entire Windows profile - and hours of work and untold inconvenience. Had you instead provided the correct advice then his problem would have been resolved in around 5 seconds.

If I cast aside how useless and in fact counter-productive your advice was here, your attitude also stinks. If you cause a user to lose their entire Windows profile with poor and unprofessional advice then the very least you can do is give them a year's free subscription and thank them a thousand times for re-installing your buggy software. Had this happened to me then I wouldn't have let your software anywhere near my machine ever again, and here he is putting it back on his machine right after a reformat. If that's not loyal custom then I don't know what is.

If I was your boss there's no way you'd still be on this forum. In fact I'm currently undecided on whether or not you'd be working for the company at all.

Disgusting.

I have had great customer service since I have been a member of this forum. You have become a member of this forum today and in your very first post you respond to a problem from April 13, 2011 that was solved on April 15, 2011. I smell a TROLL.

• I have had great customer service since I have been a member of this forum. You have become a member of this forum today and in your very first post you respond to a problem from April 13, 2011 that was solved on April 15, 2011. I smell a TROLL.

Are you not able to read or something? How about you look up for a second? Look at the way the OP was treated.

I came here today after Googling the fact that my context menu item had also disappeared without notice, so the fact that the thread dates back from last year sometime is irrelevant. Luckily I read the whole thread before attempting any of Christian's "solutions" so didn't lose hours and hours doing the wrong thing like the OP did.

I can't comment on your individual support successes over the duration of your subscription - nor do I give a rat's arse about it. What I can comment on however is what I see here, and that's shameful customer service.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Are you not able to read or something? How about you look up for a second? Look at the way the OP was treated.

I came here today after Googling the fact that my context menu item had also disappeared without notice, so the fact that the thread dates back from last year sometime is irrelevant. Luckily I read the whole thread before attempting any of Christian's "solutions" so didn't lose hours and hours doing the wrong thing like the OP did.

I can't comment on your individual support successes over the duration of your subscription - nor do I give a rat's arse about it. What I can comment on however is what I see here, and that's shameful customer service.

I can read just fine thanks! You didn't ask for help, you decided that you would rather take a chea.p shot or two at someone who had nothing to do with the troubleshooting of the OP's problem from the beginning. You haven't asked for any help, you just criticize. How do you know whether or not it was Bitdefender that caused the problems to begin with? Can you prove it? Unless you can prove it, then there is no need speculate.

• I can read just fine thanks! You didn't ask for help, you decided that you would rather take a chea.p shot or two at someone who had nothing to do with the troubleshooting of the OP's problem from the beginning. You haven't asked for any help, you just criticize. How do you know whether or not it was Bitdefender that caused the problems to begin with? Can you prove it? Unless you can prove it, then there is no need speculate.

You make very little sense, but you do make one valid point - that nikki605 was just as useless as Christian in resolving this matter for the OP. I was wrong to single out Christian when he was only one of several useless administrators.

I'm not sure what you expect for making the observation that I haven't asked for help here. This is a fact I am already fully aware of and I didn't even claim to have asked for help in any of my posts. Perhaps I missed the memo that today is International Obvious Day or something? Who knows.

The reason I didn't need any help from any of these useless Bitdefender "assistants" is because someone called zoli (who as far as I can tell has nothing to do with the company) posted the solution. Thank goodness he/she did too as it sure wasn't forthcoming from any of the so-called staff.

I've looked around the forum some more since last night and have seen that the staff on here are generally unhelpful. Instead of posting solutions to reasonable problems they focus entirely on pushing their latest products. I don't think your customers bought your software so that you could ram upgrades down their throats whenever they experience a problem with their purchase. "Customer support" and "sales" should be two entirely different departments.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

For other users that encounter the same issue, please upgrade for FREE to Bitdefender 2012, the system requirements are the same.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=223&id=42

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.