Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rescue Cd Destroyed My Raid0 Config!

Options
mike91163
edited February 2022 in The Archive

I am beside myself with anger over this product...being an network admin with 15+ years of experience, I do not expect a Linux-based AV product from a "reputable" company to break my RAID config with no warning at all. Upon booting from a USB flash drive, I was annoyed initially to find out that the Linux distro did not recognize my boot drive - a pair of WD RaptorX 150GB 10k rpm drives. If that wasn't bad enough...

Upon rebooting with the USB drive removed, I thought I saw a "No RAID drives configured" message flash by...sure enough, as the BIOS completed, I got the dreaded "No operating system".

Thanks, Bitdefender, for creating a "Rescue" OS that performs the EXACT opposite of RESCUE-now I have to pray that I can somehow pull the data off the drives...a complicated and time-consuming task that I wasn't expecting.

Free or not, I ought to file a lawsuit against your sorry ###### for maliciously destroying my data...because your program did not warn me at any point that RAID drives were not supported...

Your response???

Comments

• csalgau
    csalgau ✭✭
    Options

While a colleague should be looking into this and posting a properly documented response, I would like to ask for some information regarding your specific case.

You mentioned that you have a pair of WD RaptorX 150GB devices that weren't recognized, but these should normally be hidden by the RAID adapter/firmware, and as such should be at least protected, if not unavailable directly to software and all access should be funneled trough the RAID virtual drive.

As such, if the adapter was not recognized, I believe it couldn't have actually changed settings.

I find it much more likely that the RAID configuration was lost due to a firmware bug on faulty initialization by a Linux driver that thought it might be able to read that.

I would recommend you check if the RAID config is still in the RAID firmware settings, and if not, check your manual or contact your motherboard/RAID adapter manufacturer and inquire about restoring the matrix without formatting it after a firmware failure.

• alexh
    Options

Hello Mike,

We need more information about your RAID configuration. Is very important for us to know if there was a hardware RAID (BIOS/controller RAID) or a software one. Because we consider that is impossible for us (or for any OS) to destroy a hardware RAID. Than we want to know your OS type and, if possible, the actions you performed (the CLI ones) during the time BitDefender Rescue CD (boot USB flash drive) was inserted into your machine (mount, etc). Please notice that, if you're RAID was a hardware one, your data will not be lost.

Looking forward for your reply!

Best regards,

Alex

• Lionet
    Options
    Upon booting from a USB flash drive, I was annoyed initially to find out that the Linux distro did not recognize my boot drive - a pair of WD RaptorX 150GB 10k rpm drives. If that wasn't bad enough...

Upon rebooting with the USB drive removed, I thought I saw a "No RAID drives configured" message flash by...sure enough, as the BIOS completed, I got the dreaded "No operating system".

Hi mike91163,

Could you give the support team details on your system?

Do you have windows or Linux?

My advice:

If you have a windows system, try to reboot on your windows disk to check your access to the system.

A little while ago, a friend of mine got some nasty pop-ups, she bought Bitdefender IS 2012, she started the system on the BD cd-rom (to analyse the system before anything else). BD destroyed a few spywares (very few indeed) she took off the cd and restarted with no avail. Message: "MBR missing". Whatever we tried (in safe mode or not) got "mbr missing".

Her system: windows Seven and two RAID disks.

I suggested it was either a wrong start (the system still looking for the Linux BD rescue cd (why?)) instead of the hard disk or a true destruction of the MBR (ouch!) and told her to put her windows cd to check. When she got the windows screen, she cancelled the installation, took off the cd and restart on the hard disk in a normal mode. Then she could install the BD software and get the update.

The issue is fixed now, but it was a close shave. :o

If this experience could help...

Good luck and welcome on the forum, :)

L.

• Lionet
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hi mike91163,

Sorry everyone, my advice is off topic maybe, I refer to the BD IS 2012 installation cd (with the rescue mode included, not an independent rescue disk)

L.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike :)

Do you still need assistance on this?

Thank you!

• Bit late on the scene with this reply, but I find the case amusing.

I am a 20 year veteran of PC/Server and network admin, with 10 years in a mainframe environment prior to that.

I find it astonishing that anyone would run a system partition on a RAID 0 - I mean, he's joking, right. RAID 0 for valuable stuff? NEVER do it. RAID 0 is for scratch storage for such things as printer rips.

Secondly, having built your house on an active volcano, as it were, I find it even more astonishing that our OP did not have a backup - Duh!!!!

:)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

You are right, in these days a backup solution or storage is a must.

You can try our solution Bitdefender Safebox for free:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=32748

Take care.