Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] Bd Toolbar In Thunderbird

Options

Greetings,

Just installed Bitdefender Total Security 2013 after some grief with KIS and everything seems fine, so far.

One issue. The installation went just peachy, however the program also installed a Toolbar in Thunderbird, which

doesn't seem to serve any purpose as TB is already feature rich!

How can I uninstall the Toolbar, without uninstalling BD altogether?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for a great product. B)

Comments

• Go to Privacy Control Settings (advanced), turn OFF Show Bitdefender Toolbar

post-107140-1347038478_thumb.jpg

• Go to Privacy Control Settings (advanced), turn OFF Show Bitdefender Toolbar

post-107140-1347038478_thumb.jpg

Nope, not quite! I believe that feature is for the Browser Toolbar and not for the e-mail client.

I had that feature turned off from day one, but still bd installed one in Thunderbird and

although, I disabled it, I would like to completely get rid of it! :D

• columbo
    Options

Not sure you can totally "uninstall" it, only to disable it like you did in T-bird. Yet here's what you can also do:

• Turn off Antispam on Console Panel, (the orange warning across the upper toolbar will go back to green after last step)
    • go to antispam settings and turn all of them off
    • go back to main settings/General/Advanced/Configure Status Alerts, and turn off Antispam Status
  • I found an even better solution and I should kick myself for not thinking about it, sooner.

Regedit, Software, Thunderbird, Extensions. Right there is the Bitdefender **** entry and right click, delete,

then hasta la vista Toolbar!

Completely removed from the Thunderbird Add ons! B)

• columbo
    Options

Forgive me Midnight, isn't disabling it from Thunderbird good enough (I have T-bird on 2 PCs), were there background running process going on that it needed stopped that way? Just curious. I guess if you ever needed it back, you would just uninstall/reinstall Bitdefender. Inquiring minds want to know :D

• columbo
    Options

Oh, by the way Midnight, very astute of you to disable it from the Thunderbird reg., and not the Bitdefender Antispam reg. key. Good thinking :)

• Forgive me Midnight, isn't disabling it from Thunderbird good enough (I have T-bird on 2 PCs), were there background running process going on that it needed stopped that way? Just curious. I guess if you ever needed it back, you would just uninstall/reinstall Bitdefender. Inquiring minds want to know :D

I suppose that merely disabling it in TB would suffice, but I'm constantly updating the Extensions and seeing that greyed out BD Toolbar notification at the bottom, kinda irked me a little and as you are aware, as a TB user, Mozilla loaded it up with great features, a nice SPAM filter and a host of security that I felt that the Toolbar was a bit of overkill!

I like things simple and working properly without all the bloat! :D

• Oh, by the way Midnight, very astute of you to disable it from the Thunderbird reg., and not the Bitdefender Antispam reg. key. Good thinking :)

Well, columbo, after 32 years in IT, mostly sales, mind you, one thing experience has taught me is....to use my head!

Think before acting, in fact... think twice!

Considering that Bitdefender installed the Toolbar as an "Extension" in Thunderbird and it showed up as such, where else to look

in the Registry, but in the TB Extensions folder and lo and behold, there was the little stinker!

This should not be attempted by any newbie or anybody not familiar with the Registry as you are aware, one Wrong deletion can

and will totally mess up a person's O/S and that can spell disaster!

The next time someone asks about how to permanently get rid of the BD Toolbar, that's how it's done! :D

• columbo
    Options
    I suppose that merely disabling it in TB would suffice, but I'm constantly updating the Extensions and seeing that greyed out BD Toolbar notification at the bottom, kinda irked me a little and as you are aware, as a TB user, Mozilla loaded it up with great features, a nice SPAM filter and a host of security that I felt that the Toolbar was a bit of overkill!

I like things simple and working properly without all the bloat! :D

Yes, an nice clean esthetic look to your Extension page. Besides, Bitdefender scans all opened email and attachments, so that is also covered, security wise.

Well, columbo, after 32 years in IT, mostly sales, mind you, one thing experience has taught me is....to use my head!

Think before acting, in fact... think twice!

The good old carpenter's rule, "measure twice, cut once", or in this case, "think twice, edit once" ^_^

Considering that Bitdefender installed the Toolbar as an "Extension" in Thunderbird and it showed up as such, where else to look

in the Registry, but in the TB Extensions folder and lo and behold, there was the little stinker!

This should not be attempted by any newbie or anybody not familiar with the Registry as you are aware, one Wrong deletion can

and will totally mess up a person's O/S and that can spell disaster!

The next time someone asks about how to permanently get rid of the BD Toolbar, that's how it's done! :D

Yes, that is why I was glad to see that you did it from the Thunderbird side, and not the Bitdefender Toolbar reg. side. Very wise of you, obi wan kenobi :D Very nice tip, I will remember this one :)

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

I am glad this was resolved. Great things can happen when 2 IT professionals meet on a topic :D

Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.