Detecting Spyware

I am new to Bit Defender and this forum, so hi to everybody. :rolleyes:

Having installed Internet Security V10 I was wondering how to test the efficiency of the anti spyware part of the package?

Does anyone have any recommendations for running other programmes which would do this without causing conflicts.

Thanks

Comments

• Hello Suziedog

BitDefender antispyware part is very good if you compare it with other antivirus vendors that offers also antispyware protection. But you may not rely only on BitDefender. Because the main purpose is still antivirus.

Almost every antispyware product can work together with BitDefender without any problems.

I can recommend the following products:

superantispyware : superantispyware

This is the free edition without realtime protection.

spywareblaster: This tool makes registry and browser changes so known malware can't itself anymore:

spywareblaster

counterspy (paid version):

counterspy trial

Regards

Niels

• Hello Suziedog

BitDefender antispyware part is very good if you compare it with other antivirus vendors that offers also antispyware protection. But you may not rely only on BitDefender. Because the main purpose is still antivirus.

Almost every antispyware product can work together with BitDefender without any problems.

I can recommend the following products:

superantispyware : superantispyware

This is the free edition without realtime protection.

spywareblaster: This tool makes registry and browser changes so known malware can't itself anymore:

spywareblaster

counterspy (paid version):

counterspy trial

Regards

Niels

Thanks for your advice, I will have a look at your suggestions.

• Hello Suziedog

That are my favourites. Feel free to test other antispywares. But do not install one of them that are listed on this website: Bad antispyware products and here: Another list of rogue software

superantispyware is very good to remove difficult malware.

Regards

Niels

• Hi Niels,

Before I switched over to BD Anti-Virus 2008, I was running BD Anti-Virus ver. 10 and Ad-Aware SE Plus Edition. I wasn't having any problems. I disabled the real time detection in Ad-Aware. When I was installing BD Anti-Virus 2008, the installer recommended that I un-install Ad-Aware SE Plus. It even had an un-installer built in to the BD installer. I assumed that running Ad-Aware and BD AV 2008 concurrently was a bad idea.

The only thing that Ad-Aware SE Plus ever found was Tracking Cookies (I think that was the name). I would quarantine about 30 per week and ultimately delete them. I miss that feature now. It seemed valuable then.

From reading this Forum, it looks like to me that your favorite antispyware program is Superantispyware. If I install Superantispyware and run it full time with BitDefender AntiVirus 2008, I shouldn't have any problems normally, right? I have one more question. Does BitDefender publish the manual for BitDefender AntiVirus 2008? To have Kinkos print it, double sided, black & white, spiral bound costs $26.00! I was hoping BD would sell the manual for less.

Thanks in advance for your help, Niels. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Ken Taggart

• Dear KTaggart

Cookies are harmless that are only text files. In other words that aren't real threats.

You can download the English manual here.

Superantispyware is compatible with BitDefender. So far there aren't real issues with other anti-malware installed together with BitDefender. But never run more then 1 other security program in realtime.

Here we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

But also a Happy Thanksgiving.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear KTaggart

Cookies are harmless that are only text files. In other words that aren't real threats.

You can download the English manual here.

Superantispyware is compatible with BitDefender. So far there aren't real issues with other anti-malware installed together with BitDefender. But never run more then 1 other security program in realtime.

Here we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

But also a Happy Thanksgiving.

Best regards

Niels

Thanks for your rapid response Niels. I'm having a Happy Thanksgiving watching my 2 boys play Super Mario Galaxy on their Nintendo Wii. :D

When it comes to the manual for BitDefender AntiVirus 2008, I was hoping you were selling a printed manual for about $10.00 US. That would be a lot more reasonable than taking the .pdf to Kinkos and paying $26.00 US for them to print a black & white manual.

In your statement, "But never run more then 1 other security program in realtime.", does that mean that I could simultaneously run BitDefender AntiVirus 2008, and Superantispyware Professional? Superantispyware Professional has Real-Time Blocking of threats, so that would be 2 programs running a real time component. Could the real time components clash and cause problems?

Again, thanks for your help!

Ken T.

• Dear KTaggart

This is only an user forum. All moderators are just volunteers who don't work for Softwin (BitDefender).

Normally in the boxed versions you must have a printed manual that was the case for the previous BitDefender versions. I have the download version.

I meant that you only must run 1 antispyware for example together with BitDefender that is running in realtime mode. Sorry that I wasn't very clear about it.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear KTaggart

This is only an user forum. All moderators are just volunteers who don't work for Softwin (BitDefender).

Normally in the boxed versions you must have a printed manual that was the case for the previous BitDefender versions. I have the download version.

I meant that you only must run 1 antispyware for example together with BitDefender that is running in realtime mode. Sorry that I wasn't very clear about it.

Best regards

Niels

Neils,

I'm sorry I assumed that you were an employee of SoftWin. I thought you might give me an email or a phone # to order a printed manual for BD AV 2008. I wrote an email to BD Sales this afternoon, still trying to buy an owner's manual. No reply as of yet. :wacko: I think I'll just abandon this quest. Thanks for trying to help.

Ken T

• Dear KTaggart

Did you already contact them via livechat? If not you will find livechat here. Type your question and select customer care press on chat button. I will contact someone who works for Softwin.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear KTaggart

Did you already contact them via livechat? If not you will find livechat here. Type your question and select customer care press on chat button. I will contact someone who works for Softwin.

Best regards

Niels

Niels,

I just did a chat session with a woman from livechat. After I explicitly asked for a printed version of the manual, she sent me the link for the downloadable .pdf file. I repeated that I wanted a printed copy, and that Kinkos wanted $26 to print the manual in B&W. She then told me that the only way to get a printed version was to buy the boxed version in a store. I said I already was using BD AV 2008 and had paid for it. I didn't want to pay a fortune for ink to print the manual on my printer, and wear out the printer. Then she actually suggested that I go to a store that carried BD AV 2008 and try to strike a deal to buy just the manual from them. I couldn't believe it!

I appreciate all your help Niels. I was just flabergasted by the lack of help from this "support" person. I doubt that she is a volunteer like you are. If you are still going to contact Softwin, I am very grateful. If you don't, that's OK too. I am very grateful for the help you have provided so far.

Have a good evening,

Ken T.

• Dear KTaggart

I spoke to that person and he told me that they(Softwin/BitDefender) don't sell manuals only or give them.

So I am afraid that your stuck with the pdf manual.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear KTaggart

I spoke to that person and he told me that they(Softwin/BitDefender) don't sell manuals only or give them.

So I am afraid that your stuck with the pdf manual.

Best regards

Niels

Thanks for checking it out for me Niels. I truely appreciate all your efforts to help. Maybe I'll steal one. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the holidays,

Ken T