Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows8 + Bdis2013 (or Win8security) = Very Slow Photo Opening

Options
Ostraq
Ostraq
edited December 2012 in General

Hi everyone,

As you see by number of my posts I am new on BD forum, though not so "new" as BitDefender User.

Lets say that I've been using BD products for a long time - last 3 years continuously without switching to competition + few years ago.

On my main machine I am using BD Internet Security, first it was 2011, 2012 and now 2013.

Recently I've moved on from Win7 to its 8th iteration, but along with this migration also my Win8+BD problems have started!

Before that I had very few - to none, issues with Bitdefender products.

I've reinstalled Windows 8 from the scratch for a couple of times before i figured out that culprit was unfortunately BitDefender Internet Security 2013 and/or BD Windows8 Security.

On my data disks I have almost 1TB of image files, jpg, bmp, tiff, png etc. I was always able to open and manipulate those files without troubles, until i installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 on my machine. PC would irregularly become unresponsive, then saving, down-and/or-uploading of images became impossible... It took at least 30 seconds up to a 2 minutes before

computer would start to react again. Even pictures that were on my PC for more than few years began to hang or freeze when I tried to open them. Regardless whether I used just Paint, Windows image viewer or some other tool, it would have taken ages to open any of pic files. I tried optimizing drives and folders for "general" use, also for "pictures" - nothing helped!

Then I reinstalled Windows 8 again. I've tried aside from BD IS2013 also BD Windows8 Security - alas with the very same results. Only after I removed BD products PC returned to normal. I did this on CLEAN installation, with Win8 and no other 3rd party software aside from Bitdefender. This way I was reassured that BD was indeed responsible for this hassle. I really don't want to switch to competition, BD products were always very reliable and I hope that you guys already have fix for this issue. If not, then a "recipe" or a solution how to solve it. PLEASE HELP me to run BD on my machine as it ran before Win8.

Thank you all in advance, Ostraq

Comments

• pedaller
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hello Ostraq - I too have a Windows 8 installation that has had no other security program than Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 installed on it. Two points that made the computer work OK for me that might be of interest:

1. Immediately after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro, Bitdefender needed uninstalling and reinstalling to make it work properly. It looks like Bitdefender needs installing on Window 8 rather than Windows 8 installing on Bitdefender.

2. I also had very slow boot-up once Windows 8 was installed. I put this down to Bitdefender and so went back to a system (disk image) that only had Windows Defender installed on it. However, I still had slow boot-up. This showed that, in my case, Bitdefender was not to blame.

I found something on the Windows 8 forum that helped speed of boot-up time enormously. I'm not saying that it will work for you but it might give you an area to explore. Here is a link to the thread that I found helpful:

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-mai...html#post140397 (read on from this post).

The only problem I had was that I couldn't actually untick the Fast Startup option to be able to turn it off and back on again. I had to enable 'Hibernate' for this to be done. All the options are there in 'Control Panel > Power Options'. Once Hibernate is on, it will appear in 'Settings > Power' (where you normally go to turn the computer off).

This all worked for me and now the computer will shut down and boot up OK with Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 for Windows 8 installed, even after turning the power to the computer off at the electricity mains and back on again.

• Ostraq
    Ostraq
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks a lot for your reply - I just have to add:

1. I did not upgrade over windows 7, I've installed Win 8 CLEAN from the scratch onto empty SSD - maybe I was not clear enough... what I meant by migrating to Windows 8 is that I no longer use Windows 7 - "I've migrated to new OS", and yet problem is there (slow photo/images opening, inability to save,down/up-load normally)

2. I did not have problems with slow boot either, my system starts in 10-15 seconds...

In short: No BD on my Win8 - no problem,

As soon as BD in on my Win8 machine aforementioned problems reappear :(

• rootkit
    Options

Hi :)

Welcome to the forums.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

After analyzing the information we received from you we concluded that the most convenient way to fix the issue you reported is to use the Repair feature from Bitdefender. Please follow the steps below in order to start the repairing process:

- Click on the START menu button;

- Go to (All) Programs -> Bitdefender 2013 -> choose "Repair or Remove";

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to;

- Register and activate the product, then open Bitdefender and run a new update; reboot again if requested;

A product update was released and it will be installed on your machine in maximum 24 hours. Your build should be 16.25.0.1710 (please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day!