Trojan.ribdew.c.dll

Bit defender found this trojan, but was unable to delete it because its in an archive. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Here's the bitdefender log:

BitDefender Log File !!!!!

Product : BitDefender Antivirus 2008

Version : BitDefender UIScanner v.11

Log date : 20:35:32 14/12/2007

Log path : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles\Logs\deep_scan\1197689732_1_02.xml

Scan Paths:Path0000: C:\

Path0001: D:\

Path0002: E:\

Scan Options:Scan for viruses : Yes

Scan for adware : Yes

Scan for spyware : Yes

Scan for applications : Yes

Scan for dialers : Yes

Scan for rootkits : Yes

Target selection options:Scan registry keys : Yes

Scan cookies : Yes

Scan boot sectors : Yes

Scan memory processes : Yes

Scan archives : Yes

Scan runtime packers : Yes

Scan emails : Yes

Scan all files : Yes

Heuristic Scan : Yes

Scanned extensions :

Excluded extensions :

Target ProcessingDefault action for infected objects : Disinfect

Default action for suspicious objects : None

Default action for hidden objects : None

Scan engines summaryNumber of virus signatures : 960166

Archive plugins : 41

Email plugins : 6

Scan plugins : 12

Archive plugins : 41

System plugins : 4

Unpack plugins : 7

Overall scan summaryScanned items : 345306

Infected items : 1

Suspicious items : 0

Resolved items : 0

Individual viruses found : 1

Scanned directories : 5670

Scanned boot sectors : 5

Scanned archives : 866

Input-output errors : 26

Scan time : 00:03:16:01

Files per second : 29

Scanned processes summaryScanned : 35

Infected : 0

Scanned registry keys summaryScanned : 312

Scanned cookies summaryScanned : 0

Remaining issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

D:\System Volume Information\_restore{E9DF52E4-6601-4F09-BFD7-04F6D3CB8194}\RP206\A0016149.exe=](NSIS o)=]lzma_solid_nsis0005 Trojan.Ribdew.C.DLL Delete Failed (file was in an archive)

Resolved issues:Object Name Threat Name Final Status

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• It looks like the trojan has crawled into your System Restore file (i.e. System Volume Information). It's a protected Windows folder, and many viruses attach themselves in there so that if you attempt to do a System Restore, the virus will still be there!

You need to purge System Restore to get rid of it. It's very simple:

1. Open the "Start" menu.
    2. Right-click on "My Computer."
    3. Click "Properties."
    4. Click on the "System Restore" tab.
    5. Check the "Turn off System Restore" box.
    6. A warning dialog box will appear; click OK to purge System Restore.
    7. Click "OK."
    8. Restart your computer.
    9. Do another deep/full computer scan with BitDefender.
    You should now be virus-free! If BitDefender finds nothing, then you can safely turn System Restore back on. Just follow the instructions listed above, this time unchecking the "Turn off System Restore" box.

Hope I've helped. :)

• unfortunately that did not work, the trojan is still present after following the steps you suggested.

Thank you for the help though, and do you have any other ideas?

• Hello Vraknor,

Did you disable BD Realtime Protection before applying the steps that RubberBandit told you? You have to disable BD because it might block access to the infected files, therefore the system will not be allowed to access them (so they can't be deleted).

If that still doesn't work (even from SafeMode), then follow the steps presented HERE.

Please post if you managed to solve this problem.

Cris.

• Hi Cris,

No luck. Turning off the system restore did not remove the trojan, even when BD was turned off, or in safe mode. When following the instructions to use the repair function of windows OS, I was getting "Access Denied" whenever I tried to access the d:\"System Volume Information" folder or anything within it. Same message when trying to remove attributes.

At this point I am beginning to think it would be easiest to just reformat. However, I was curious if anyone had any information on exactly what the trojan does or what it can do from my volume information (As in does it ever actually get run?). The virus encyclopedia does not have an entry for this trojan.

Thank you

• I don't think you need to format just because one infected file.

To gain control over that folder, do this:

1. In Explorer, click Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    2. Enable the option Show hidden files and folders.
    3. Disable the option Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    4. Confirm by clicking Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change and click OK to close that dialog
    5. Then right-click the System Volume Information folder in the D drive and then click Properties -> Security. You should see there a list which contains only one user, System, which has full access to that folder.
    6. Click Add -> Advanced -> Find Now. After a few moments, the list below will show all users from your PC (there are a lot more actual users then you know about. That's normal ;) ). Search for your username in that list, select it and click OK twice.
    7. In the main dialog (on the Security tab), select your user (it will appear in the same list as System) and enable Full Control for the folder. Click OK.
    8. Now it's enough to double-click the folder and you'll be able to access it. Go to that file and delete it.
    If you cannot delete it, you can try to use a software like Unlocker.

After you're done, it might be a good idea to go back to Security and remove your user from the list (but be careful NOT to remove the System user, because then the system won't be able to access that folder).

Please post if this solves your problem.

I'll try to find out something about this virus.

Cris.