Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

User Controls? No Apparent Update Or Scan Request.

Options

It does not appear that users of the Free Edition can:

(1) Request or schedule a virus definition update manually--the program decides when or whether to do this.

(2) Request or schedule a Quick Sweep or a Full Scan--the program seems to do a Quick Sweep most days, and a Full Scan about once a week.

Unless there was an issue, this is probably fine, but what if say the program stopped updating virus definitions for some reason, as recently happened for me?

Also sometimes for one reason or another the Full Scan is delayed or doesn't happen. It would be nice if one could manually request it.

I have looked for any controls or configuration for these items, but I don't see any, in the program itself, or in MyBitdefender account. The one way around that might be to right click on the whole drive and scan it, as one would an individual file or folder. I suppose that that might be a substitute for a Full Scan, but it might not get at places where root kits are hidden. Don't know.

Comments

• I agree. While It's actually really refreshing and nice to see how SIMPLE BitDefender is - it's a little TOO simple and doesn't have basic functions that some people may want to do.

• xb7
    Options
    I agree. While It's actually really refreshing and nice to see how SIMPLE BitDefender is - it's a little TOO simple and doesn't have basic functions that some people may want to do.

Actually, I wasn't trying to complain. I am a newbie, and I was trying to ask anyone who is knowledgeable about BD if I am wrong and there is some way to do this for the Free Edition? Or if all versions don't allow this? Maybe the paid versions do allow the user to manually update the definitions, or set a schedule for Full Scans? Can anyone comment on scanning the whole drive with right click vs. when a Full Scan runs once a week--are they the same?

• xb7
    Options
    Actually, I wasn't trying to complain. I am a newbie, and I was trying to ask anyone who is knowledgeable about BD if I am wrong and there is some way to do this for the Free Edition? Or if all versions don't allow this? Maybe the paid versions do allow the user to manually update the definitions, or set a schedule for Full Scans? Can anyone comment on scanning the whole drive with right click vs. when a Full Scan runs once a week--are they the same?

Okay, I tried scanning the whole drive. It works. It actually finds a lot of stuff which it labels malware, which may or may not be, a few items which it can identify and delete. Most of the stuff is password protected, flash files, restore point stuff, which I can't even delete and I am the admin. Clearly it is thorough, perhaps even more so than a Full Scan, or maybe a Fall Scan deliberately avoid looking in these places.

• Okay, I tried scanning the whole drive. It works. It actually finds a lot of stuff which it labels malware, which may or may not be, a few items which it can identify and delete. Most of the stuff is password protected, flash files, restore point stuff, which I can't even delete and I am the admin. Clearly it is thorough, perhaps even more so than a Full Scan, or maybe a Fall Scan deliberately avoid looking in these places.

How did you get the on-demand scanner to work? I have two tasks queued, but it doesn't seem to feel like getting around to them.

• xb7
    Options
    How did you get the on-demand scanner to work? I have two tasks queued, but it doesn't seem to feel like getting around to them.

I am running Win 7-64, FWIW. I right clicked on the file/folder/drive (latter in this case) and Scan w/ BitDefender is a menu option. I left clicked that. That opened an On Demand scan request in the User Control popup (or whatever it is called), and I couldn't see any activity at first, but then I could see the outline of the little On Demand box was filling in, obviously slowly given the size of the scan, from left to right around the box, as the scan progressed. Scanning the whole drive took a while. At the end, a report was issued, and I clicked on details to see which files were flagged, and what if any action, was taken. (Like three files were specifically ID'ed and deleted (stuff out of the deleted folder in Outlook, infected Spam which was never opened for example), and mostly files were suspected but due to being PW protected, could be opened by BD, so they were just listed, I suppose for me to take care of, if I wanted. I think that a scan of the full drive is actually more thorough that a Full Scan, as the previous Full Scans hadn't found any of this stuff. But maybe a Full Scan looks at certain stuff that a whole drive scan doesn't--root kit type stuff? DK.