I Have No Windows Firewall? Even With Bitdefender Installed?

I have this screen capture and it seems that I have no google answers for not having any firewall. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has a firewall that is missing too? How do you get it back? Thank you very much in advance and please look at my Screen Shot all kidding aside I would really like to know how a windows firewall disappears.

post-127805-1361229272_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361229282_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Hi Richie, I'm just curious, how did you realize that Windows firewall became corrupted? Did you get a Action Center notification?

Are you still running Total Security, and is Bitdefender's Firewall showing up as active/on, in Action Center?

• Hi Richie, I'm just curious, how did you realize that Windows firewall became corrupted? Did you get a Action Center notification?

Are you still running Total Security, and is Bitdefender's Firewall showing up as active/on, in Action Center?

Thanks Columbo for the reply as they say just one more question I think :). I first was having issues which is well known apparently in the Bitdefender update database that when the software is updated Microsoft action center warns you that my firewall is off. That windows defender is off and so is Bitdefender. That Security center turns off and then I follow the steps to reboot and the center turns on again. Then what also works is I have less severe episodes than that where that it tells me Bitdefender or any anti-virus is not present on the computer and then all I do is turn BitDefender on or off and then it shows up as on again.

The next indicator came from Winzip system utilities and it came up with a bunch security alarms. The biggest stated completely straight out that I had no fire wall what so ever on my computer. I tried repairing Bitdefender and resetting Windows Firewall to the default. The strange thing is the security action center reports both windows firewall on and BitDefender on and active. I can not understand what is going on. Here is where it really gets interesting. Take a look at these screen captures.

I have been able to identify the APS daemon as part of Itunes but since all Apple products are now off the computer as per revouninstaller why is it still there? Then why do I have a connection to a server at 127.0.0.1? When I am on a Optimum.com private network of cablemodem and the solution of trying DNS.com did not resolve these connections issues? What is going on here I think I know but how do I address this infection?

post-127805-1361233572_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361233579_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361233588_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361233596_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361233602_thumb.jpg

post-127805-1361233608_thumb.jpg

• I am pretty sure this is an infection of some sort and I change that to sure and please help me by moving it to infections or infected computers.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013

Have you tried running a rescue mode scan? To download the latest updates when it asks, you need to be Ethernet connected to your router/modem. Even though these instructions are from the AV+ 2012, it's the same steps. Your C: should be listed as sda1 (see note on link)

http://www.bdantivirus.com/bitdefender/ant...ion.rescue.html

By the way, nice follow up information, as that may help others here too if a rescue mode scan doesn't resolve it.

• Have you tried running a rescue mode scan? To download the latest updates when it asks, you need to be Ethernet connected to your router/modem. Even though these instructions are from the AV+ 2012, it's the same steps. Your C: should be listed as sda1 (see note on link)

http://www.bdantivirus.com/bitdefender/ant...ion.rescue.html

By the way, nice follow up information, as that may help others here too if a rescue mode scan doesn't resolve it.

Thanks I am definitely going to run Bit defender in rescue mode and see what that scans shows and post the results here.

• Thanks I am definitely going to run Bit defender in rescue mode and see what that scans shows and post the results here.
    Nothing came up in Bitdefender Rescue mode but my I used the Rescue CD it came up with the warning there may be threats on your system and it came up with a petty long list of files that it said permission denied to access. I scanned two more times and it said the same thing. Then one the third time excuse me fourth time it said unable to access can someone please tell me where the logs are stored exactly from the Rescue CD so I can post those results?
  • Hello RichieW,

Perhaps it's time to start again from the beginning.

First, if Itunes is already uninstalled, you have to manually delete APSDaemon.exe and remove it from "Start up" items.

Uninstall BitDefender using the proper tool.

Run again the proper uninstallation tool(s) for your previous antivirus/firewall app(s).

Then use "CCleaner" or "Auslogics Registry Cleaner" (I think is better) to clean the registry.

Restart and set Windows Defender and Windows Firewall ON. Then update Windows with the latest updates and restart.

Finally, install again BD using offline installer, without internet connection.

Then connect to internet for activation, update BD aaand restart.

After all above steps, I believe, everything's gonna be perfect (or...almost).

If the issue with security center remains, just set Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to OFF (if not so) and ignoring or stopping (Sec. Center) messages, trust what BD reports. If it is green there is nothing to worry about.

Regards

• ...in addition

After BD installation, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall MUST be OFF (automatically or manually).

• Hello RichieW,

Perhaps it's time to start again from the beginning.

First, if Itunes is already uninstalled, you have to manually delete APSDaemon.exe and remove it from "Start up" items.

Uninstall BitDefender using the proper tool.

Run again the proper uninstallation tool(s) for your previous antivirus/firewall app(s).

Then use "CCleaner" or "Auslogics Registry Cleaner" (I think is better) to clean the registry.

Restart and set Windows Defender and Windows Firewall ON. Then update Windows with the latest updates and restart.

Finally, install again BD using offline installer, without internet connection.

Then connect to internet for activation, update BD aaand restart.

After all above steps, I believe, everything's gonna be perfect (or...almost).

If the issue with security center remains, just set Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to OFF (if not so) and ignoring or stopping (Sec. Center) messages, trust what BD reports. If it is green there is nothing to worry about.

Regards

Thank you so much for this advice :). I really appreciate it I am following it through and will let you know how I make out.

• Hi,

You're welcome.

To uninstall BD please use this : http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/...l_consumer.html cause link has recently been changed.

Regards

• I have this screen capture and it seems that I have no google answers for not having any firewall. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has a firewall that is missing too? How do you get it back? Thank you very much in advance and please look at my Screen Shot all kidding aside I would really like to know how a windows firewall disappears.

Check the status of the "Base Filtering Engine (BFE) Service" from the Windows Services. See the attachment also.

Restart it if necessary.

post-31288-1361767885_thumb.jpg

• I am pretty sure this is an infection of some sort and I change that to sure and please help me by moving it to infections or infected computers.

Can you explain why this should be an infection, please? Do not scare this user please, without telling such a sh*t, sorry to say that.

• I have this screen capture and it seems that I have no google answers for not having any firewall. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has a firewall that is missing too? How do you get it back? Thank you very much in advance and please look at my Screen Shot all kidding aside I would really like to know how a windows firewall disappears.

I am using the 90 day trial from Bitdefender Total Security 2013. Great program. I am using System Mechanic Professional 30 day trial version too. System Mechanic tells me, that no firewall is installed. This is a failure in the program of System Mechanic. Bitdefender Firewall is working totally correct. Windows can tell ya too, that there is no firewall installed. When u turn the windows firewall off, they tell you : no firewall installed. But i can promise, that Bitdefender firewall is working totally correct. I was testing that - and this firewall from Bitdefender works perfect - tested with several programs. Even this 90 day trial i use. I am using Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

ps: Reinstall windows, mate. Do a clean install. Then the chipset drivers,soundcard drivers, all those necessary drivers, u know what i mean. Then make all your windows updates. After that, download the 90 day trial from Bitdefender (Total Internet Security 2013). After that, install it. Then turn off Windows Defender completely. Totally. Then see, how all works.

Greetings from Germany.

• Can you explain why this should be an infection, please? Do not scare this user please, without telling such a sh*t, sorry to say that.
    Hi SebastianDI,

Don't you think that you're a litlle bit rude?

If you jump off your horse, you'll see that he is the user himself who tries to scare him.

So, take it easy and calm down, German cowboy... :)

Regards

• Hi SebastianDI,

Don't you think that you're a litlle bit rude?

If you jump off your horse, you'll see that he is the user himself who tries to scare him.

So, take it easy and calm down, German cowboy... :)

Regards

Look I am trying to rule out as if this computer were a patient with something wrong with it. If you have a problem with what I said then do not bother talking to me or posting on my thread. I really appreciate all of you being very helpful though.

• ...in addition

After BD installation, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall MUST be OFF (automatically or manually).

Thanks for the advice Werby I followed through with it and worked for a good while. I am having different issues with software updates now. I am going to repeat your advice. :).

• You're welcome RichieW,

I hope everything's going to be fine!

If "Security center" issue still persists you can also read this article.

Regards!

• You're welcome RichieW,

I hope everything's going to be fine!

If "Security center" issue still persists you can also read this article.

Regards!

Thank you for the link. :).