Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bd Free Updated To 1047 -

Options

I saw the update this morning, but I'm unable find any change log/revision history.

What's new with this version? Any way to exclude files/folders from being scanned?

For now, I have disabled the "auto scan", since the product modified my perfectly good

HOSTS file - I don't know any other way to stop it, short of uninstalling the product and

reverting to Avast! Free.

Comments

• csalgau
    Options

Hello.

That's mighty peculiar...

Could you please PM me a copy of your hosts file so we can try to reproduce the issue? (please rename it to hosts.txt so it passes the upload filter on the forums)

Thanks!

• Hello.

That's mighty peculiar...

Could you please PM me a copy of your hosts file so we can try to reproduce the issue? (please rename it to hosts.txt so it passes the upload filter on the forums)

Thanks!

PM sent

• csalgau
    Options

I totally forgot to write back. Terribly sorry.

I've rolled back the modifications on the file and it does not appear to be detected currently.

We're investigating the situation and will be pushing a fix if needed.

In the meantime, have you tried uncommenting the lines and seeing if it happens again?

You have not mentioned when this happened exactly. A fix may have been made at some point afterwards.

• I totally forgot to write back. Terribly sorry.

I've rolled back the modifications on the file and it does not appear to be detected currently.

We're investigating the situation and will be pushing a fix if needed.

In the meantime, have you tried uncommenting the lines and seeing if it happens again?

You have not mentioned when this happened exactly. A fix may have been made at some point afterwards.

It happened in the last 1 - 2 weeks. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46771

For now I have turned off "auto scan" and left "viral shield" on.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it modified the file in the non-active XP

(I have two XP installs on the same PC)

• It happened in the last 1 - 2 weeks. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46771

For now I have turned off "auto scan" and left "viral shield" on.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it modified the file in the non-active XP

(I have two XP installs on the same PC)

This is the info I found in the log - how can a text file me infected with a trojan?

2013/06/30 17:32:56 CContScanPlugin.cpp [LogInfections] THREAT FOUND: f:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts -> Trojan.QHost.Gen

2013/06/30 17:32:56 CContScanPlugin.cpp [OnContScanTaskFinished] FullScan task finished (reboot:0

2013/06/30 17:32:56 ContScanManager.cpp [CContScanManager::SetNextRunningTime] SetNextRunningTime Full_Scan_Task-->

2013/06/30 17:32:56 CContScanPlugin.cpp [stopScanTask] StopScanTask

2013/06/30 17:32:56 CContScanPlugin.cpp [CloseScanTask] CloseScanTask -->

• Rampant
    Options

Have you had a modified host file is a virus, you can see its contents?

• Have you had a modified host file is a virus, you can see its contents?

As far as I'm aware, the HOSTS file was a simple text file - before/after BD Free messed with it.

It must have been; I only saw the unwanted symptoms in the system AFTER BD had commented out the entries I had

manually added.

Let's face it, the HOSTS entries can be good or bad. Entries, added by the user,

usually to equate various web addresses to 127.0.0.1 (Obviously this has been happening for years)

and presumably, entries added by some malware to divert user to alternate sites.

I don't see why any AV would remove any thing equated to 127.0.0.1.