Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[solved in BD 2014] Espn Gamecast/fantasycast And Flash Player

Options

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with ESPN Gamecast and Fantasycast features. As you may know, these features provide real-time updates for a number of sports or fantasy sports teams. One of the great aspects of these features is that they automatically update the webpage to change the score, update player/ball movement, and game statistics. The automatic aspect eliminates the necessity of manually updating the page to refresh the information. Gamecast/Fantasycast appear to be Flash Player driven (Java too?).

Issue: Gamecast/Fantasycast are not automatically updating - they open perfectly fine, but remain "static" in terms of the information they display until manually refreshed with "F5". I am trying to determine if this is related to BIS2013. There are a couple of threads here suggesting some incompatibility between BIS2013 and Flash Player. This issue is the same whether I use Firefox 17 or Internet Explorer 9.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Suggestion for how to fix or test root cause? I should add that this is not a recent issue and has been happening for a number of months.

Background: Windows 7 64-bit (completely up-to-date), BIS 2013 16.24.0.1684 (latest), Flash Player 11.5.520.110 (latest), and Java 7 U9 (latest). I have performed complete uninstalls of Flash Player and Java, to no avail.

Comments

• I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with ESPN Gamecast and Fantasycast features. As you may know, these features provide real-time updates for a number of sports or fantasy sports teams. One of the great aspects of these features is that they automatically update the webpage to change the score, update player/ball movement, and game statistics. The automatic aspect eliminates the necessity of manually updating the page to refresh the information. Gamecast/Fantasycast appear to be Flash Player driven (Java too?).

Issue: Gamecast/Fantasycast are not automatically updating - they open perfectly fine, but remain "static" in terms of the information they display until manually refreshed with "F5". I am trying to determine if this is related to BIS2013. There are a couple of threads here suggesting some incompatibility between BIS2013 and Flash Player. This issue is the same whether I use Firefox 17 or Internet Explorer 9.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Suggestion for how to fix or test root cause? I should add that this is not a recent issue and has been happening for a number of months.

Background: Windows 7 64-bit (completely up-to-date), BIS 2013 16.24.0.1684 (latest), Flash Player 11.5.520.110 (latest), and Java 7 U9 (latest). I have performed complete uninstalls of Flash Player and Java, to no avail.

I was having the same problem with both IE9 and Chrome. It started when I did the free upgrade from BIS 2011 to BIS 2013. To troubleshoot, I reset my IE9 browser to default, I turned off the firewall, antispam, etc. and also I uninstalled Java, Flash...no help. So I uninstalled BIS 2013, restarted, and the scores started updating again. I am within 20 days of subscription end so I am choosing a different security suite. Hopefully they fix this because I really like BitDefender.

• I was having the same problem with both IE9 and Chrome. It started when I did the free upgrade from BIS 2011 to BIS 2013. To troubleshoot, I reset my IE9 browser to default, I turned off the firewall, antispam, etc. and also I uninstalled Java, Flash...no help. So I uninstalled BIS 2013, restarted, and the scores started updating again. I am within 20 days of subscription end so I am choosing a different security suite. Hopefully they fix this because I really like BitDefender.

Okay, great. Thank you for the information. There must be some type of conflict between the BIS2013 and ESPN applications.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Could you please tell me if this issue persists with the new build version 16.28.0.1763?

(right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35498

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Looking forward to hearing from you. :)

• Apologies for the late reply.

I can confirm that this issue still persists with BIS version 17.17.0.773.

The ESPN Fantasycast issue still persists. The window does not update automatically - the information only updates after I press [F5] key.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is it possible to create and exclusion/exception for the ESPN Fantasycast window so it updates by itself?

Thanks!

• augmon
    edited September 2013
    Options

I am having the same issue with the ESPN Fantasy Football website updating "live" and also via the FantasyCast aspect of the site. I am NOT able to chat within the ESPN site either. I uninstalled Bit Defender Total Security and everything worked just fine. Reinstalled TS and the problem again come up. Ugraded to TS2013 (build 17.17.0.773) and still experiencing the problem. I have like 4XX days left and need this resolved please. Thanks

• I am also having this issue with ESPN Fantasy, ESPN Fantasycast, and the Smackboard. I just upgraded to latest version today (9/30/2013). Any help for this would of course be appreciated.

• same exact issues here; tried shutting off every setting I could find and whitelisting the site to no avail

• golfe
    edited October 2013
    Options

No solution for this?

I already have "The New Bitdefender" (build 17.19.0.831), as was suggested by Georgia in another post, and the problem persists.

• come on Bitdefender staff, please look into this. I was recently using Bitdefender 2013 and having the problem, I tried with Firefox, Chrome and IE9. Disabled everything, SSL Scan, everything. Still will not update. I uninstalled 2013, and fantasycast works fine. I then installed Bitdefender 2014 and now it no longer works again, even after disabling everything. What is the point of forums on your website if you dont reply to us with help? I am ready to uninstall Bitdefender again and go with Emsisoft or another competitor. PS I am using Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, next month is my renewal, I will think twice not because of the software, I do love the software and virus definitions updates, but because of the customer support here at the forums.

• Yes, any ideas the Bitdefender staff could suggest would be appreciated. This has been on ongoing issue - something I brought up last year - without resolution.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Please perform the test below and let me know if the live scores work properly:

- Open Bitdefender > turn Auto Pilot OFF > Settings > Update > check the option 'Prompt before downloading'

- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

- Browse to: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender

- Locate file "bdtl.dll"and rename it into "bdt.dl_";

- Restart the computer in Normal mode;

- Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace the file you renamed in Safe mode.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

• golfe
    edited October 2013
    Options

Georgia,

Executing the "test" from your post allows live scores to update properly. Thank you for providing this test scenario. Since I first inquired about this matter more than one year ago, this is the first time any progress has been made on solving this issue. :)

Now, does a permanent solution exist so that customers can utilize Auto Pilot, or is more work needed on Bitdefender's end?

• Hi Georgia. Any thoughts about the results of the "test" I performed? Can Bitdefender fix the issue so we can use Autopilot and with the http traffic scanner engaged?

• ive uninstalled bitdefender on 5 machines now including my own cause they are all in my ESPN Fantasy Football league and im not about to start teaching them how to use the software and only download signature updates. This should be a more serious problem throughout the Bitdefender technical support team than the way they are treating it. Id rather install some free antivirus then to go through the steps above on everyone's machine and teach them what to do and not to do.

• Georgia, anything new on this item?

Since this has been ongoing issue for more than one year now, I am inquiring if Bitdefender will/can take action on correcting this functionality issue? Should I file a support ticket instead of using the forum?

Thanks!

• i already filed a ticket, never heard back from them at all.

• How long ago did you file a ticket? There is obviously some delay in response.

There must be a solution to this issue as other internet security vendors have successfully implemented a way to let ESPN FantasyCast/GameCast windows open and function as intended. I realize that Bitdefender maybe cannot implement solutions for all website having issues, but I would hardly call ESPN a minor website; it has a global website rank of 75 on Alexa. Disappointed that there has not been additional responses to this thread and your ticket for resolving this issue.

• i filed my ticket near the end of september. i have uninstalled bitdefender on this machine and two other friends machines and just installed free antivirus software. even though i paid for all the bitdefender subscriptions i just bite the bullet with the cost, maybe ill reinstall it after fantasy football season is over. definitely wont be purchasing another year of it though.

• I am a bit surprised that I've had no further contact from Georgia. She did type, "I'm looking forward to your feedback", but she did not response once I provided the results of my test.

I too have filed a help desk ticket, though I suspect that Bitdefender would rather a customer pay the $49.99 for VIP support. It is unfortunate because I paid for a multiple year subscription; I would hope to be supported in some fashion at least by the support team through a routine ticket submission.

• Georgia
    Options

Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this thread.

@ golfe: I located your ticket ID: 114873. Please reply to my email as I need to run a few tests on that machine.

Thank you.

• Has anyone been able to fix this issue? I received the same info from BitDefender support, but renaming to "bdt.dl_" is not a solution since this file is updated eventually by restart or if you don't respond to the popup in time. Regardless, you still get regular popups for signature updates.

Curious if anyone has been able to fix this or got anywhere productive with customer support before I switch to a new product.

• Has anyone been able to fix this issue? I received the same info from BitDefender support, but renaming to "bdt.dl_" is not a solution since this file is updated eventually by restart or if you don't respond to the popup in time. Regardless, you still get regular popups for signature updates.

Curious if anyone has been able to fix this or got anywhere productive with customer support before I switch to a new product.

Georgia and I were troubleshooting this very matter this morning. She made some changes to my Bitdefender files - or rather Bitdefender updated some files and installed them on my computer.

I am happy to report that I believe Bitdefender has made progress (dare I say solved?) on the solution. I am currently "watching" two (2) men's college basketball games simultaneously via Gamecast. I cannot confirm if works yet with FantasyCast, but I suspect it will work as well.

After final confirmation and coding, I can only assume that the solution will be rolled out to every customer in the near future! At least I hope so.

Thank you Georgia and Bitdefender test engineers for your efforts on this matter! :)

• I can confirm that Bitdefender's fix on my computer is working with both ESPN Gamecast and FantasyCast. Hopefully, the fix will be rolled out shortly.

• Can Bitdefender confirm there will be a fix for this? I, too, opened a ticket for this and have tried a couple of suggestions from Bitdefender tech support but neither works. This is very frustrating.

• jackbarxiao
    edited December 2013
    Options

Envoyez-moi une copi d'écran svp.

buy #### 14 Xbox ###

• Has this issue been resolved for the users yet?

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I am a bit surprised that I've had no further contact from Georgia. She did type, "I'm looking forward to your feedback", but she did not response once I provided the results of my test.

I too have filed a help desk ticket, though I suspect that Bitdefender would rather a customer pay the $49.99 for VIP support. It is unfortunate because I paid for a multiple year subscription; I would hope to be supported in some fashion at least by the support team through a routine ticket submission.

I guess. The wait time may seem somewhat long, but so far every single email ticket that I have ever opened (and I have opened four) have solved my problem 100%. Now, I will admit it did take 1-2 weeks, but they did indeed solve all my issues. You could try phone support. I've never called, so I wouldn't know how good (or bad) phone support is. My experience with Dell and Microsoft's phone support have been travesties, so I would assume Bitdefender's would be the same way. Usually, email support is the way to go.

LOL, at "I suspect that Bitdefender would rather a customer pay the $49.99 for VIP support". That's true to an extent, yet false when used as a generalization. Here's a similar comparison. My family and I actually went to Disney World in Florida last fall. Now, if you've never been to Disney World, there are two packages you can buy. There is the standard park pass, and the VIP park pass. If you bought the VIP park pass, you automatically get to go to the front of the queue line. We waited in front of one ride for about five minutes. When we got to the ride, we met a guy who said he and his son waited 2 hours to finally go on the ride!

Point being, I bet the Bitdefender VIP support service is the same. They are not "purposely" ignoring your ticket because they want you to purchase the VIP support package. Rather it simply takes them time to actually get to your ticket as any VIP ticket that comes in automatically gets bumped to the front of the line like I did at Disney World. Not to mention all the other "standard" tickets that other people submitted before you did. So just be patient, I guarantee your question will be answered satisfactorily (eventually).

• golfe
    Options

If you had read the entire thread, you might have seen that the problem has been fixed - at least on my computer. A roll out to the broader Bitdefender user community is still pending. I hope that the testing is going well and it will be fixed soon for everyone.

Regarding waiting patiently, I originally submitted the ticket for this issue in November 2012. I think that 15 months is sufficient time to wait, don't you?

Bitdefender support has been fantastic in addressing the issue! I had multiple email exchanges with them and remote desktop sessions. They have been professional and courteous along the way. I do wish for more rapid responses, but I realize that I'm not the only one being assisted.

• columbo
    Options

Good follow up report, golfe, glad to hear it and "see you". Your patience in starting and maintaining this thread I'm sure will help others :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

This area of our forum concerns Bitdefender 2013 products. We kindly recommend you to upgrade for free to the new and improved Bitdefender firstly.

Please follow the steps from this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...ender--711.html

Should you require further assistance with the ESPN website after the upgrade please post in this area:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you for your understanding, I am now closing this topic.

This discussion has been closed.