Bd Slows Vista Start Up

I have this problem where bit defender slows my vista bootup time, never had a problem with this on xp.

basically when i load up vista it loads quickly, then itll slow down and freeze for about 3mins when bitdefender loads. and then it runs quickly again :unsure:

any suggestions?

Comments

• I have this problem where bit defender slows my vista bootup time, never had a problem with this on xp.

basically when i load up vista it loads quickly, then itll slow down and freeze for about 3mins when bitdefender loads. and then it runs quickly again :unsure:

any suggestions?

I have exactly the same problem. I have tested in two different computers with vista and the result is the same. :(

Any suggestions.

• Same here, my vista boot up and the desktop freeze there for around 3 mins before i can do my things there.

• I also have the same problem on my Vista premium. This only happens every 3 or so boot up, but it is a problem. I logged my boot and I got this line as a issue.

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

I also notice my internet connection icon shows no connection for a minute or so during this delayed startup. Could be a bitdefender problem or perhaps a symptom of the glorious o/s that is Vista! :P

• I also have the same problem on my Vista premium. This only happens every 3 or so boot up, but it is a problem. I logged my boot and I got this line as a issue.

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

I also notice my internet connection icon shows no connection for a minute or so during this delayed startup. Could be a bitdefender problem or perhaps a symptom of the glorious o/s that is Vista! :P

I believe I have solved the problem. I used Norton Removal Tool to wipe the previouslly installed NAV 2008 . After that I run the BD installation again to repair the installation and the problem gone.

Now what is the reason? NAV's uninstallation module, BD installation module or something with VISTA? Who knows?

• I have just run the Norton uninstall tool for Norton 2007 (version I had). I will run the repair and get back in a few with my results (as the problem is not every boot for me. Thanks for the info! :)

• Dear cyberncik,

The problem is Norton uninstallation method (default uninstaller). Which doesn't delete everything and let drivers being present on your hard disc that can cause conflicts. Vista isn't the problem not on my computer. It had also Norton preinstalled. The boot time is a little bit longer. But BitDefender immediately loads on my computer.

Best regards

Niels

• Well, my bootup still freezes about 50% of the time. I will try to find out what this driver is for. (SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys ) I may also uninstall bit defender temporarily and install my AVG to see if the problem remains. A side note...I installed bitdefender on my second computer running xp home and I get a freeze on bootup were none existed before. (It ran AVG before).

• Dear Tony Dodd,

You should also see if there are still drivers left from avg. Or I must misunderstood what you wrote. Go to start,type devmgmt.msc into the windows search text field press enter you must be logged in as an administrator. Go to the display (view) menu,click on show hidden devices,you will now see a section that is called non plug and play compatible expand that section by pressing on +-icon. It could be that srv.sys is still running the same for the avg drivers. Right click on them and choose stop you can delete them also but be very carefull.

Best regards

Niels

• Hi Niels

Thanks for replying. I ran AVG on my second computer so I will try to do as you suggest. My new Vista computer has never had AVG installed. I am convinced now that BD is not the problem. It is a great piece of software and light on my system. I may have been quick to say my second computer was freezing due to BD as, I found a problem unrelated to this software. I am wondering if Norton is still the problem, on my first computer, or I should just reinstall my oem Vista. (mind you the recovery disk would install Norton again as there is no option to not install). If I only reinstalled of BitDefender (not Vista) would I lose my config settings in BitDefender? I may try this. Thanks for your help.

Tony Dodd

Dear Tony Dodd,

You should also see if there are still drivers left from avg. Or I must misunderstood what you wrote. Go to start,type devmgmt.msc into the windows search text field press enter you must be logged in as an administrator. Go to the display (view) menu,click on show hidden devices,you will now see a section that is called non plug and play compatible expand that section by pressing on +-icon. It could be that srv.sys is still running the same for the avg drivers. Right click on them and choose stop you can delete them also but be very carefull.

Best regards

Niels

• Niels
    Niels
    edited January 2008

Dear Tonny Dodd,

I also recommend that you take a look at this topic. Run and download the Norton removal tool and follow my other instructions.

You can back-up BitDefender settings otherwise your settings are lost. Right click on the red BitDefender icon near the system clock press on open advanced settings. Click on advanced now press on save all settings. After you reinstalled BitDefender you can reload it. For saving your friends and spammers list you have to open your mail client press on friend,spammers there you can click on save. I also recommend that you uninstall BitDefender by using this removal tool. First right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock and choose exit. Run the tool.

Best regards

Niels

• Thanks for help. No matter what happens, I will still use BitDefender as it is a great product perfect for my needs. This problem, while a problem, is something I can live with even if no resolution works for me. Hve a great day! :)

• Tony Dodd
    edited February 2008

Well everything is good now. Vista loaded up with all my start programs under 10 seconds. I removed Bitdefender with the uninstall tool and then reinstalled. I did not run the suggested scan or updates right away until restart. Perhaps I had a corrupt install as I remember it freezing during the initial install "first scan". I did not think of this before. Oh, also I ran ccleaner with "delete temp files that are older then 48 hours" UNCHECKED. I did this after uninstall before reinstall. Thanks for everyone's help. :D