Bitdefender Threat Scanner Error

Hi

I've been getting this annoying Bitdefender Threat Scanner message every time I shut down Windows 7 Home Premium x64. post-176111-1390218548_thumb.png

Can anyone please tell me how I get rid of this thing? It's making me crazy.

Firstly, I never even heard of Bitdefender products until this message started showing up a few nights ago.

I have never knowingly installed any software called "Bitdefender".

I do not wish to install Bitdefender and want nothing to do with the product.

Secondly, neither SpyBot Search and Destroy or Malwarebytes can detect any suspicious file or registry entry with this name. Nor has a manual search using Regedit revealed anything.

I have spent hours surfing to try to find a solution despite there being many apparent reports of the same thing. This may, of course, not be a problem caused by the legit Bitdefender software but may be caused by the fake product known as Bitdefender 2011 but how to know?

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Comments

• There are a couple of things to read through -

Support

Topic discussion.

• And I have read them. I see nothing in the Topic Discussion that amounts to any way of getting rid of this message. As for Support, I'm not a Bitdefender user so have no Bitdefender product installed so there's no use in running the patch as I have nothing installed to patch. I can't email the company for support because I have to supply the credential for the product I'm using and, well, you get the sitch..

Anyone?

• If it is rogue anti-spyware program and you are not running Bitdefender then I don't see that you can be helped on these forums. There are solutions that you may find useful out there, I found at least one using Google.

Sorry not to have been more help. :(

• Found it!

It's being delivered or triggered by Spybot Search and Destroy 2. I upgraded SSD from version 1.6.2 at the weekend and that's when this Bitdefender Threat Scanner message started to appear.

As soon as I tried to stop the SSD scanner service, this message popped up on the desktop and couldn't be removed without a reboot.

I had to stop all SSD services manually before I could delete the program folders as the program didn't appear in the Installed programs list in Control Panel.

So what to make of this? Is it some rogue "virus" inserting itself into the SSD scanner component or whatever? I'm reluctant to trust SSD again after having used 1.6.2 for years and always trusting it.

Any comments about this.

Trevor

If it is rogue anti-spyware program and you are not running Bitdefender then I don't see that you can be helped on these forums. There are solutions that you may find useful out there, I found at least one using Google.

Sorry not to have been more help. :(

• MH2
    MH2
    edited January 2014
    Found it!

It's being delivered or triggered by Spybot Search and Destroy 2. I upgraded SSD from version 1.6.2 at the weekend and that's when this Bitdefender Threat Scanner message started to appear.

As soon as I tried to stop the SSD scanner service, this message popped up on the desktop and couldn't be removed without a reboot.

I had to stop all SSD services manually before I could delete the program folders as the program didn't appear in the Installed programs list in Control Panel.

So what to make of this? Is it some rogue "virus" inserting itself into the SSD scanner component or whatever? I'm reluctant to trust SSD again after having used 1.6.2 for years and always trusting it.

Any comments about this.

Trevor

According to 'Wikipedia' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_%E2%80...rch_%26_Destroy ... "The paid for versions [of Spybot-Search & Destroy] contain an anti-virus component that use the BitDefender engine" - so the 'Bitdefender' component, most probably is (or was) a legitimate integral part of your newly updated 'Spybot S&D' product.

In fact, many other anti-malware companies also use (by licence) Bitdefender's software components within their own products.

[incidentally - most commentators/observers familiar with the field consider 'Spybot S&D' to be something of an outdated and ineffective anti-malware product in comparison to most other current anti-spyware/malware products available today e.g. quote "Although PC Magazine initially rated it highly in 2003, their rating declined to "poor" in 2008 and "dismal" in 2012".]

• According to 'Wikipedia' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_%E2%80...rch_%26_Destroy ... "The paid for versions [of Spybot-Search & Destroy] contain an anti-virus component that use the BitDefender engine" - so the 'Bitdefender' component, most probably is (or was) a legitimate integral part of your newly updated 'Spybot S&D' product.

In fact, many other anti-malware companies also use (by licence) Bitdefender's software components within their own products.

[incidentally - most commentators/observers familiar with the field consider 'Spybot S&D' to be something of an outdated and ineffective anti-malware product in comparison to most other current anti-spyware/malware products available today e.g. quote "Although PC Magazine initially rated it highly in 2003, their rating declined to "poor" in 2008 and "dismal" in 2012".]

MH2

Many thanks. I didn't know all that. No excuse for not doing ones homework, I admit. Seems it's time to ditch SSD. If I can ask you, what in your opinion are the good free ones out there today?

Thanks again

Trevor

• Hi

I've been getting this annoying Bitdefender Threat Scanner message every time I shut down Windows 7 Home Premium x64. post-176111-1390218548_thumb.png

Can anyone please tell me how I get rid of this thing? It's making me crazy.

Firstly, I never even heard of Bitdefender products until this message started showing up a few nights ago.

I have never knowingly installed any software called "Bitdefender".

I do not wish to install Bitdefender and want nothing to do with the product.

Secondly, neither SpyBot Search and Destroy or Malwarebytes can detect any suspicious file or registry entry with this name. Nor has a manual search using Regedit revealed anything.

I have spent hours surfing to try to find a solution despite there being many apparent reports of the same thing. This may, of course, not be a problem caused by the legit Bitdefender software but may be caused by the fake product known as Bitdefender 2011 but how to know?

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance

Trevor

Don't know if this is relevant or not but it took 10 seconds to find using Google including typeing time.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free - Threat Scanner error on 09.04.2013