Bitdefender Closes Regularly

It will work fine for a couple of days, and then I'll notice that the icon is not in the taskbar tray; that it quietly closed at some point for no apparent reason.

I'll restart it, and again it will seem to work fine, until a day or two later it will disappear from the taskbar again.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

It's a bit disturbing, because I thought these types of programs started 'at the kernel level' so nothing could shut them down (protection against viruses).

And that if they crashed, there would be a clear message saying so.

Thanks for any clarification.

Comments

• It will work fine for a couple of days, and then I'll notice that the icon is not in the taskbar tray; that it quietly closed at some point for no apparent reason.

I'll restart it, and again it will seem to work fine, until a day or two later it will disappear from the taskbar again.

It's a bit disturbing, because I thought these types of programs started 'at the kernel level' so nothing could shut them down (protection against viruses).

I had this happen the other day. I don't know how to fix it though.

• So it definitely isn't running (task manager>processes)? It certainly shouldn't do that so first try running a repair (Control Panel>uninstall>repair).

Otherwise it is best to send in a Customer Report form -

http://www.bitdefender.com/en/Main/contactEmail

• It will work fine for a couple of days, and then I'll notice that the icon is not in the taskbar tray; that it quietly closed at some point for no apparent reason.

If u are using W7 BD AV Free could just be disappearing from noification area. This has long been a W7 bug. You can check opening the Windows Task Manager and looking for "gzserv" under Services. It it is there than most likely you have the W7 notification area problem. Right click the Windows Taskbar. left click Properties and left click Customize. See if BD AV Free is there and under Behaviors says Show Icon and Notifications. If not change it and save. You will probably need a restart to have it take afffect.

• After disappearing from the taskbar, it was not running in task manager.

However, I did an uninstall->repair and it hasn't disappeared for about a week.

• However, I did an uninstall->repair and it hasn't disappeared for about a week.

Touch wood it has solved your problem, often trying the simple solutions first are the best way to go. :)

Obviously if the problem returns post back here.