Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Wow - This Software Is Crud

Options

I did a lot of research before buying BD AV. Everywhere I looked said BD was pretty good. So, being satisfied that I had seen enough good reports, I went ahead and purchased BD.

WOW....what an experience. Installing this crud has been one of the scariest things I have ever done. Error messages all over the place. And that’s just during the installation! Contacted BD and they said "here, download and install this". So I accessed the link and downloaded the software again from their link. Same error messages as original install. WOW.

Now, I don't know if the AV scans are working or not. They may be but all I have to judge the quality of this software is the user interface. It’s pretty enough but it’s somewhat unintuitive and it is therefore difficult to use. I think I'm getting errors but am not quite sure. This is what I have to base my judgments on. I am a software engineer and I could probably figure out the idiosyncrasies of this software but frankly, I don't have the time. I just want to buy something and have it work out of the box.

After reading so many of the posts in this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the AV software is probably working but not enough time has been spent on the user interface (GUI) to make it easy to use and understand. However, the lack of functionality in the GUI has shaken my faith in the AV.

Since my BD is currently leaking memory all over the place here and is causing me to reboot far too often AND the only post for this issue has NO responses to it, I'm just going to write off the $50 I spent on this crud and buy a professional product.

However, I can't say this experience has been entirely unfruitful. I have learned the value of the 30 day trial.

WOW!

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Dear warrentaylor,

Updating windows installer engine can solve installation problems. The same as clearing your temporary files on your computer. What also helps is closing as much processes that are running in the background including disable other security programs that are running in realtime mode.

To give you my personal opinion I never received an error message on installing BitDefender on all my home computers.Sometimes programs that make a snapshot before a software installation and after the installation can also cause errors with BitDefender installer package.

There are other security suites that have a similar GUI than BitDefender products. The options are clear to me and are well explained in the manual. I agree that some options aren't that clear. May I ask what didn't you find very clear?

Best regards

Niels

• Dear warrentaylor,

Updating windows installer engine can solve installation problems. The same as clearing your temporary files on your computer. What also helps is closing as much processes that are running in the background including disable other security programs that are running in realtime mode.

To give you my personal opinion I never received an error message on installing BitDefender on all my home computers.Sometimes programs that make a snapshot before a software installation and after the installation can also cause errors with BitDefender installer package.

There are other security suites that have a similar GUI than BitDefender products. The options are clear to me and are well explained in the manual. I agree that some options aren't that clear. May I ask what didn't you find very clear?

Best regards

Niels

I'm not going to get into specifics as I've gotten the software to work (at least I think its working) without too much effort.

The software lacks positive response to all actions. There also seems to be a lack of natural progression, known as 'intuitiveness'. ie. a step B naturally follows a step A, and so forth. I have noticed this before with other AV software and it may be an inherent problem in the task, I don't know, I haven't studied it in depth.

I've gotten BD to work but the problems just shake my confidence in the scan engine and I just don't get the feel that this is a professional product. I can see an OS being released before its ready but this is just an application and easier to control. Seems to be a staffing issue to me. We actually have the same problem but its due to both staffing and hardware shortfalls.

I'll let it go and see if 'whoever' is the actual caretaker of this product sends out updates to get this thing fixed up. If not, I'll sadly have to go to the ubiquitous, and fully tested, stuff.

My original post was rhetorical but thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.