New Bitdefender Free Customer

I've been trialing bit defender free after years with Avast which slowed my system to an absolute crawl. I am very impressed at the power and lightness of this AV and hope to use this for many years to come.

Matt

Comments

• Hi Matt,

Nice to see you aboard.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Welcome to the forums sportsfan and good to hear you are also a Bitdefenderfan. :D

• Welcome, Matt, be sure to check out some of the other free offerings from the Bitdefender Toolbox :)

• Hi Matt. I too just converted over to Bitdefender Free from Avast about 3 weeks ago. I couldn't be happier.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Ram1220, good to see you as well. :)
  • Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I do have a question. When I try to scan with BD Free, It does not appear that anything is working (right clicking C and choosing scan with bit defender) One on demand task has been scheduled but how do i execute the task?

Matt

• Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I do have a question. When I try to scan with BD Free, It does not appear that anything is working (right clicking C and choosing scan with bit defender) One on demand task has been scheduled but how do i execute the task?

Matt

Anyone have any ideas?

• I just tried it for you and it worked on my system. I went to My Computer and right clicked on the C drive. Then chose Scan with Bitdefender. I then clicked on the Bitdefender icon in the lower right of my screen and it showed the scan was running. Actually it said it was scheduled. But if you look around the border of this message you will see that the blue border actually moves. This is how you know the scan is in progress.

• Thank you Ram :) If all goes well I plan to install the 6 months free trial next month and hopefully get a good black Friday deal in November so I can run BIS or Bitdefender Total Security next year. I'm looking at the differences between the two and it seems like the only difference is with BTS there is "Facebook guardian" Iuse s that the only real difference? (I'm trying to decide between the two) for my needs.

I use Facebook a lot in my business, (helping tv station talent monitor severe weather and getting out word to their followers) so i'm wondering if it's worth it.) So I guess I help save lives in emergencies.

Matt

• Just saw Bitdefender Windows 8 Security..Is there any difference between that, BIS 2014 and Bitdefender Total Security? I'm running Windows 8.1. And I apologize for all the questions..Matt

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hiya Matt,

Windows 8 security uses ELAM and has BD integrated into Windows 8/8.1 to scan apps before launch. It was, I understand, originally built from BD Internet Security architecture and developed from there but is now a standalone product. It works quietly and effectively on my Win 8.1 laptop.

There is a bit here from Georgia about it.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited May 2014

Just to help clarify things a bit (sorry Rohugh, but thanks for your helping me in this thread) but the link provided above (March) was just at the launch of BD Windows 8 which had the same on-board features as Internet Security, as Rohugh mentioned, Firewall/Anti-spam/Parental controls etc.).

The ELAM feature was eventually included in all the 2013 versions and the New BD (2014). Taken from this link (July): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=191601

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our security solutions.

We've already extended the ELAM technology to our classic line products. However, the driver is available only in Windows 8 - in Bitdefender 2013 products and The New Bitdefender classic line:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\bdelam.sys

As we wish to keep Bitdefender Windows 8 Security a standalone product, we will implement all future product improvements/modifications through auto-update.

The reason why the Bitdefender Windows 8 Security license keys can also be used to register Bitdefender Internet Security is because the first one was built starting from the Bitdefender Internet Security basic architecture.

Please let us know if you have other questions or concerns, thank you!

Here is a little explanation between some of the products (some minor update changes may have been made since then): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=200106

• This morning I took advantage of an offer and now am running BIS 2014. When my 6 months is over I plan to purchase but what is the correct forum to post for BIS 2014?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    This morning I took advantage of an offer and now am running BIS 2014. When my 6 months is over I plan to purchase but what is the correct forum to post for BIS 2014?

A good move Matt! :D

These are the forums - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360