How Do I Stop From Detecting Cookies As A Threat?

Every time Bitdefender antivirus plus does a scan it always says threats found then deletes a load of cookies.

As cookies are not really a threat how can I stop Bitdefender from detecting them?

I've checked settings but can't find an option to stop checking for cookies.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Cookies are not harmful in themselves, but they can be part of a harmful action.

Bitdefender - What are cookie threats?

• Cookies are not harmful in themselves, but they can be part of a harmful action.

Bitdefender - What are cookie threats?

It's not the fact that they are being deleted that I don't like.

It's the fact that when I've run a scan it says it found something like 61 infections. But they weren't infections they were cookies.

I only want to know if it found real infections or PUPs.

Surely it could just say something like found 0 Infections and 61 cookies instead so that I don't have to scroll through the list to see if a real virus was found.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

I note that you have recently installed BD, the scans do take a while to settle down. The Photon technology adapts to your computer and your use of the programs, only rescanning files that have been changed. All the scans I run are pretty quick now and never have I had any Cookies picked up.

Explanation of Photon.

Give it a bit of time and see if it settles down.

Ro.

• I note that you have recently installed BD, the scans do take a while to settle down. The Photon technology adapts to your computer and your use of the programs, only rescanning files that have been changed. All the scans I run are pretty quick now and never have I had any Cookies picked up.

Explanation of Photon.

Give it a bit of time and see if it settles down.

Ro.

Thanks.

Didn't know about the photon.

I'll give it time to settle down.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello Malacath,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your concern.

As the knowledge-base article indicated by Rohugh says, "A cookie itself cannot harm the computer, as it does not and cannot hold code".

They are not blocked by the Bitdefender on-access scanning because some of them are used in log-in processes on some websites.

To stop Bitdefender from detecting them, turn OFF Autoscan from the Antivirus panel. Then, create a custom scan task by going to Scan Now -> Manage Scans -> New custom task -> Custom -> set the preferred scan settings and make sure to uncheck Scan cookies. When you are done, save the Configure Scan Options window. You need to always run this custom scan task and cookies won't be detected anymore. Remember that if you run any other predefined scan task or if you enable back Autoscan, once the scan task reaches the end, cookies will be deleted again.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great week!

post-34114-1403540147_thumb.png