Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows Security Center Doesn't Show Bd Antispyware

Options

Hi,

This is in regards to BitDefender AntiVirus 2008 on Windows Vista (32 bit).

Windows Security Center shows "Bitdefender Antivirus reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on."

But underneath that, under the heading "Spyware and other malware protection" it only says "Windows Defender is turned off." It says nothing about BitDefender.

During the BitDefender install, it prompted (suggested) to turn off Windows Defender, so we understand why Windows Defender is turned off, but the question is why isn't BitDefender shown as the active antispyware program in that case?

So far the only solution to clearing this warning in Security Center seems to be to disable monitoring for the antispyware feature. However that's less than optimal because BitDefender AntiVirus (even the chea.p version) is supposed to provide this feature.

Is there some fix to enable BitDefender AntiSpyware to show up properly in Windows Security Center?

Thanks very much.

HBD

Comments

• Hi,

Windows Security Center shows "Bitdefender Antivirus reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on."

But underneath that, under the heading "Spyware and other malware protection" it only says "Windows Defender is turned off." It says nothing about BitDefender.

During the BitDefender install, it prompted (suggested) to turn off Windows Defender, so we understand why Windows Defender is turned off, but the question is why isn't BitDefender shown as the active antispyware program in that case?

So far the only solution to clearing this warning in Security Center seems to be to disable monitoring for the antispyware feature. However that's less than optimal because BitDefender AntiVirus (even the chea.p version) is supposed to provide this feature.

Is there some fix to enable BitDefender AntiSpyware to show up properly in Windows Security Center?

Thanks very much.

HBD

i have literally exactly the same problem but with the internet security package. i have reinstalled many times to no avail, i have also stopped and restarted the security centre. Still no fix.

i remember when i very first installed BD months ago i had the same problem but i managed to fix it. unfortunately i have no idea how i did it now?

anyone got any ideas as the pop up is getting very annoying, telling me i have no antispyware??

• post-7837-1198108845_thumb.jpg

this is how it looks..........it used to say Bitdefender antispyware reports........

or something to that affect?????

• Niels
    Options

Dear strett

Try what I said in this topic. The only thing that you have to do different is entering services.msc in the search field or press windows button together with r (so you get directly in the run prompt).

Best regards

Niels

• Dear strett

Try what I said in this topic. The only thing that you have to do different is entering services.msc in the search field or press windows button together with r (so you get directly in the run prompt).

Best regards

Niels

yeah i've tried that numerous times too........no change.

any other ideas??

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello strett,

Could you try to uninstall Windows Defender? Maybe it's interfering with BitDefender and, as a result, the wrong info is shown in Security Center.

On the other hand, you can just ignore that alerts. You can trust what BitDefender says. If it says it's enabled, then it is enabled. ;)

Also you can set Security Center not to monitor the Antispyware protection. Just click Show me my available options and choose I have an antispyware program that I'll monitor myself.

Cris.

• Hello strett,

Could you try to uninstall Windows Defender? Maybe it's interfering with BitDefender and, as a result, the wrong info is shown in Security Center.

hello cris,

how would i go about uninstalling windows defender??

• alexcrist
    Options
    how would i go about uninstalling windows defender??

Umm... it appears you cannot remove Windows Defender from Windows Vista (you can only remove it from Windows XP). :(

If I'm wrong, and anyone else has a method to remove it, don't hesitate to post. I couldn't find a way...

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Dear strett

Click on enable / disable windows parts (programs) normally windows defender must be located there. If possible right click on it and choose remove/uninstall. If I am not mistaken you could only opt not to install windows defender when you select it during the windows vista installation.

Best regards

Niels

• thanks for the help people but i uninstalled bitdefender and tried a rival security suite to see if it would have the same problem registering the antispyware software.........no problems.

so it seems the problem lies with bitdefender for whatever reason. not sure i'll be going back to it either as i can't help but notice the overall speed up in performance of the whole system since removing it.

kind regards, strett.

• alexcrist
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you quit using BitDefender, strett.

I have to say that I tried installing BitDefender on Vista. There were no problems in registering all modules to Windows Security Center. So my best guess is that something went wrong AFTER you installed BitDefender and, somehow, Windows Defender popped in and took BitDefender's place as Antispyware solution.

Good luck,

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Dear strett

The windows security center doesn't recognize all antispyware protection. If the realtime protection is enabled spyware protection is also active. To bad that you changed to another security product.

Good luck with your new solution.

Best regards

Niels

• Pk77
    Options

I have the exact same problem, i fix it disabling antispyware monitor but i'm sure that with future update bitdefender team will fix this problem, changing security suite for this it's not a good move, all program has small issue, if you continue to change for that you'll probably have more problem than wait for a fix.

• I have exactly the same problem.

I was thinking of moving from Kaspersky to Bitdefender due to problems but Bitdefender cannot register it modules correctly.

Can see me going back to CA at theis rate

Hi,

Thanks very much.

HBD