Bitdefender Free Version

spintz
edited February 2008 in General talk

I've installed the Free version, which is exactly the type of anti-virus security I want, I only want it to scan when I tell it to, I don't need active protection slowing down my system, etc.

I though this was true, I've told BitDefender not to run at startup, and have even turned off automatic updates( i'll tell it when to ). It's not, it's still updating in the background, and it's not supposed to be running. Everytime I bootup or log in, I have to manually kill the following processes -

vsserv.exe

xcommsvr.exe

BDagent.exe

livesrv.exe

How to resolve this? I want NO processes running. When I tell it to go scan a file, then it should scan a file, and shut down. If I tell it to update, it should check for updates, update if necessary, and then shut down. If I want to do a full scan, it should do it, then, yup, you guessed it, shutdown.

I'd even be willing to pay, as money is not the issue, I just want a completely passive anti-virus solution. I though BitDefender was it.....

Comments

• Try to set the BitDefender services to Manual startup, instead of Automatic. That can be done in Control Panel > Administrative tools> Services. Also, disable any associated startup entries in the Msconfig utility (type msconfig in the Run field of the Start menu). Even if this works though, once you start the program, the processes will remain loaded in memory until you reboot or kill them.

I think in your case will be best to use BitDefender's online scanner, which uses the same antivirus engine and signatures, and will be completely passive, on-demand, with no processes running or updating in background.

• Try to set the BitDefender services to Manual startup, instead of Automatic. That can be done in Control Panel > Administrative tools> Services. Also, disable any associated startup entries in the Msconfig utility (type msconfig in the Run field of the Start menu). Even if this works though, once you start the program, the processes will remain loaded in memory until you reboot or kill them.

I think in your case will be best to use BitDefender's online scanner, which uses the same antivirus engine and signatures, and will be completely passive, on-demand, with no processes running or updating in background.

Thanks for the attempt. I removed the Bitdefender programs from the Startup tab in MSConfig and they still started. I've removed BitDefender and will go with another solution. Thanks anyways.

• I agree with that, no process should be started if deleted from startup.

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the attempt. I removed the Bitdefender programs from the Startup tab in MSConfig and they still started. I've removed BitDefender and will go with another solution. Thanks anyways.

A 100% passive scanning engine is the online scanner. You can find it here: http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

It installs as an ActiveX component (so it only works in Internet Explorer) and can be used as a On Demand scanner. It offers all the features BitDefender v10 Free has: Automatic updates (which are made before any scans), thorough scans against all known malware (including scanning inside archives/installers/packed files/emails), user-defined scanning path (so you can choose what files to be scanned), Heuristic scan (using BitDefender's latest engine), boot sector scan and user-defined actions (I suggest to select Prompt, so you will be notified about anything found).

The difference between BD Online Scanner and BDv10 Free is that:

- no running processes/services

- No Quarantine (because it can't manage a local quarantine)

Check it out. ;)

Cris.

I tried disabling all the services using "Control Panel > Administrative tools> Services" but after that I cannot start bitdefender, I think the processes should be started when the shortcut is clicked. Please update your software.

I have to manually start all these processes.

• Dear Saud Iqbal,

You may not set the BitDefender Communicator service on manual at start. Normally BitDefender should start if you only leave that service running.

Best regards

Niels

• G’Day “spintz”,

I am somewhat at a loss to reason how a passive anti-Virus program is going to protect your PC System(s) ?

Or is it that you do not want a protection program of this type to safeguard you getting infected with viruses from emails, etc.?

If by chance you wanted to have a secondary method of scanning for viruses, then “cris” in his post gave you the option, meaning that you uninstall the BDAV and then use the BD Online Scanner as a means to check the reliability of the other program you may be using.

Here is the Link to the BD online Scanner again that “cris” had posted for you - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Sometimes this scanner is very busy and may not load the 1st time. Just persist and if prompted click on the “I agree” and also the download by clicking on “Install”.

You may also get an ActiveX popup warning at the top of the IE browser which you need to click on and then in the drop down options click on “Install ActiveX” once this is done, the Scanner is then ready to scan your system and you need to click on the “Start Scan” button (same position where you clicked on “I Agree”)

Once this is all done, the second time you load the Online scanner, it does not need to go through the Installation or ActiveX permission again, and you simply need to click on “I Agree” and then “Start Scan”.

BTW: Unless you are an Advanced User or a Technician, I would not have advised manipulation any settings in “msconfig” or “Services” settings. These only are accessed for troubleshooting reasons but then always set back to normal !

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

• G’Day “spintz”,

BTW: Unless you are an Advanced User or a Technician, I would not have advised manipulation any settings in “msconfig” or “Services” settings. These only are accessed for troubleshooting reasons but then always set back to normal !

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

For a "newbie" you have a lot to say for yourself. And the last bit is wrong. The settings in Services are not altered only for troubleshooting purposes then set back to normal. There is no 'normal' setting, only a default setting. Many of these services are never required even though the default is set to automatic. People who know what they are talking about (not you, apparently) permanently disable the ones they don't need in order to avoid wasteful use of system resources. Get your facts right before you jump in Mr Newbie! Come back in a few years when you've had time to learn a bit more.