Locking Firewall Settings?

I've set my Local Area Connection settings in the Network of my Bitdefender Firewall several times now. However, because I'm using VPN software, sometimes after loading I notice the settings in my firewall of Bitdefender Total Security are reset back to their defaults. I'm assuming this is directly related to the VPN loading new settings and causing Bitdefender to react according. I always set it to "Home/Office" "Stealth Mode Off" and it sometimes resets itself back to "Public" "Stealth Mode: On."

Is there a way to complete lock this configuration file someone inside Bitdefender or manually in Windows so it can not be reset again?

Comments

• Hello :)

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.23.0.1637(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=162888

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is solved.

Have a nice day.

• Hi there,

I have the same problem was sjurassic. I have the latest version 16.24.0.1684 and whenever I reboot my firewall NETWORK settings are reset.

This is how I set my settings prior to a reboot:

post-123258-1355013808_thumb.jpg

Then whenever I restart my computer, this is how it appears:

post-123258-1355013825_thumb.jpg

It seems it does not remember the firewall network settings. I have updated it to the latest, re-installed many times but it does not solve the problem. I have never had a problem with BitDefender 2012. Please help.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Please choose YES for 'Generic' if you want the settings to be remembered upon reconnection.

Thank you.

• Hello everyone,

I just want to post my solution to the problem with my Bitdefender firewall blocking my VPN connection. It worked for me well, hopefully it helps some of you too if you run into the same situation. There may be some steps that are not necessary, but I did not have much time to experiment, so I did everything to maximize the chances for the success. Nevertheless I am quite sure that most of these steps were necessary in my particular case (Win 7 x64, Bitdefender Total Security 2015, Cisco Systems VPN-Client v5, but the symptoms were similar with the Shrew Soft VPN client too: 'gateway authentication error, tunnel disabled').

If you have not installed the VPN client yet, good for you, skip the uninstallation part, but if you already have it on your machine, then start here:

• quit every running program, preferably disconnect from the internet;
    • turn off all the defences of Bitdefender, especially the Firewall (the Windows firewall can stay turned on, for me, it didn't seem to have an effect) ;
    • uninstall the VPN client;
    • remove all the related files possibly left in the installation folder or in the Users\ folder;
    • clean the related entries from the registry if there are any;

• for this, I used the free edition of CCleaner, but there are other tools to do the job;
      • always be very careful when you edit the registry, and always make a backup file (CCleaner asks you to do this by default);
    • restart the machine;
    • with all the defences still down, install the VPN client;
    • restart the machine;
    • with all the defences still down, start the VPN client and import the connection entries and the certificates;
    • now you are supposed to be able to connect;
    • turn back on everything in Bitdefender;
    • here, you probably lose the VPN connection once again. If so, add the executable(s) of the VPN client to the exceptions of the Firewall (vpngui.exe in the case of Cisco (maybe also cvpnd.exe?)), and for every adapter you want to use the VPN with, you should set 'Stealth Mode' 'Off'.

• Only the connected adapters appear in the box at a given time, so you may need to change the settings for an other adapter at a later time.
      • If 'Stealth Mode' is 'Off', anyone from the local network or the Internet can ping and detect your computer.
      • Consider the 'On' option for 'Generic' too: if the IP address of the network adapter changes, Bitdefender modifies the network type accordingly. If you always want to keep the same type, set 'Generic' 'On'.

Good luck with the debugging.