Bsod During Initial Total Security Install Scan

Hey, forgive me if this is poor, it's been a long night.

Bought Total security 2013, but when I attempt to install it I will get a BSoD every time during the system scan performed before the install. almost always happens at about the 18% mark, but sometimes earlier.

System:

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601

windows dir: C:\Windows

Hardware: Z87X-D3H, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z87X-D3H-CF

CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6

8 logical processors, active mask: 255

RAM: 17129488384 total

Crash Dump sample:

On Tue 10/12/2013 12:42:46 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121013-19453-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)

Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8011242028, 0xBF800000, 0x200401)

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Have a support ticket in, but it's taking a long time to get a response. Been using MS Security Essentials as a stop gap, but that's lets some nasties in in the past 24hrs that I'm only just getting to the point of being free of now. (hence the long night mentioned above)

BIOS is latest available (F7)

If hardware related nothing else is doing anything to indicate an issue. I'm only getting grief during this scan with BD.

I have installed several different antiviral & Malware independantly of one another & successfully performed scans in the past 24hr with no problems (beyond some not finding my nasties) and certainly no BSoD.

If Driver related I have no idea what could be causing the issue, having updated & reinstalled most obvious sources of grief.

Definitely not heat related, massive Cosmos S case with full compliment of fans & huge Zalman heatsink on CPU. CPU temps are 31 to 40 during basic operation (depending on the current Weather/Temp.)

I have turned over every stone I can find & failed to find a solution.

Anyone here have any suggestions on what else I could do?

I'm stumped!

Comments

• Have a support ticket in, but it's taking a long time to get a response.

Professional support is probably the best option you have right now.

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Actually, looking at the information provided, it looks like it could be an infection problem. Since the BSOD is thrown during the pre-install scan, it is probably caused by a previous infection of malware. See, the malware detects that you are trying to install an antivirus suite. It stops this from happening by causing a BSOD. With that being said, I'd recommend you try cleaning your system. You may even need a complete reformat.

Been using MS Security Essentials as a stop gap, but that's lets some nasties in in the past 24hrs that I'm only just getting to the point of being free of now.

Holy crap! What websites are you visiting??? No wonder you're having BSOD problems. :o Lay off the pr0n dude.

• Professional support is probably the best option you have right now.

Actually, looking at the information provided, it looks like it could be an infection problem. Since the BSOD is thrown during the pre-install scan, it is probably caused by a previous infection of malware. See, the malware detects that you are trying to install an antivirus suite. It stops this from happening by causing a BSOD. With that being said, I'd recommend you try cleaning your system. You may even need a complete reformat.

Holy crap! What websites are you visiting??? No wonder you're having BSOD problems. :o Lay off the pr0n dude.

Been over seven days since I heard anything from the support team, and even then that was a "We are looking into it" message. A follow up email a few days ago as to the current status of this ticket has yet to produce a response.

If you go by the error code from the Bluescreen, it would suggest a Hardware error, however the action being undertaken at the time would suggest an infection or malware as you say. That is the view support were taking too.

However I have thoroughly tested all the hardware & nothing comes close to faulting & I have scanned the system with several free Antivirus & Malware tools, especially with the recent infection. As it stands right now, everything is pointing to the system be clean enough to eat off.

lol...nothing pr0n related!

I am beginning to wonder if its not got something to do with the Gigabyte software for the motherboard? Purely because I have scoured the net for so many days trying to sort this that a pattern started to appear with ASUS mobo users having issues with their AI software causing issues with scans.

If I can't get this sorted in the next few days I will have to look at cancelling, getting a refund & going elsewhere.

• Problem identified.

It is the Gigabyte App center, or a component of, that comes with their current line of motherboards.

Complete removal of the software allowed the scan to finish & the install to complete.

I am assuming that reinstalation now will cause the same problem on future system scans?

Not being able to use the gigabyte software is going to be an issue for me.

Would appreciate hearing from someone official about this.

• Problem identified.

It is the Gigabyte App center, or a component of, that comes with their current line of motherboards.

Complete removal of the software allowed the scan to finish & the install to complete.

How did you identify a specific app as the source of the conflict?

Curious.

• Serious process of elimination, plus a lot of reading anything that mentioned having even slightly close to to the same issues I was having.

All the reading was showing a bit of a pattern, in that people having issues with the scan prior to install all seemed to be running with Unlocked CPU's. Many of those people with ASUS boards were able to identify that the AI 3 software that came with them was causing an issue.

I tested all my hardware rigorously & that came back all fine. I re-installed pretty much every driver I could find that would let me do so & that all seemed fine. Ran Virus & Malware scans using several different programs & they all came back clean.

After all that there wasn't a lot left but for what I was seeing with the ASUS customers. So I uninstalled all the Gigabyte software that comes with my board. It's all packed into a central program now, the App Center, & uninstalling the app center uninstalls everything.

After that I tried re-installing BitDefender. Previously it would blue screen at around 18% of the initial scan every time, & I tried many many times after making changes here & there in an attempt to solve this.

This time it finished the scan & installed no problems.

• Serious process of elimination, plus a lot of reading anything that mentioned having even slightly close to to the same issues I was having.

Holy cow!! I feel bad for you as any BSOD or failed boot raises my blood pressure and anxiety.

I have an older Gigabyte board too (GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0)) but did not get similar errors when installing BD. However, now I'm nervous about updating any of my Gigabyte software or drivers. All my motherboard utilities are separate softwares.

I'm surprised that an ASUS computer would be using a Gigabyte board ...

• Holy cow!! I feel bad for you as any BSOD or failed boot raises my blood pressure and anxiety.

I have an older Gigabyte board too (GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0)) but did not get similar errors when installing BD. However, now I'm nervous about updating any of my Gigabyte software or drivers. All my motherboard utilities are separate softwares.

I'm surprised that an ASUS computer would be using a Gigabyte board ...

Be an interesting experiment, especially if your CPU is unlocked, assuming all the software that came with my board was able to be installed on yours.

Mine is not an ASUS PC & yes, they would not be using Gigabyte parts. The similarity is between the function of the utility software for both & what it enables from within Windows.

• Be an interesting experiment, especially if your CPU is unlocked, assuming all the software that came with my board was able to be installed on yours.

Mine is not an ASUS PC & yes, they would not be using Gigabyte parts. The similarity is between the function of the utility software for both & what it enables from within Windows.

It seems like ASUS and Bitdefender don't go together very well. Check out this post:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry205489

• coolyandy2
    edited September 2014
    Problem identified.

I am assuming that reinstalation now will cause the same problem on future system scans?.

I have recently designed a new computer with a gigabyte h97-hd3 and have run into this problem where every time you try to run the installation and it started the initial scan it blue screens uninstalling the gigabyte software has fix this but is there a fix or something to resolve this? Or has worked out which component of the gigabyte software is doing it

Thanks