Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Long To Resolve A False Positive?

Options

A False Positive was submitted on Sep 17, 2014. How long does it (typically) take to resolve?

As of today, the website is still inaccessible for me on my Windows 7 machine because I don't stay logged as Administrator. Whenever I need to access the site, I have to use another computer -or- I have to do some heavy gymnastics, as follows:

1) Disable my VPN connection

2) Log off my non-Administrator account

3) Log in as Administrator

4) Turn off BitDefender real-time protection

5) Log off my Administrator account

6) Relogin to my non-Administrator account

7) Reconnect to VPN

***8) Access the site

9) Disable my VPN connection

10) Log off my non-Administrator account

11) Relogin to my Administrator account

12) Turn on BitDefender real-time protection

13) Log off my Administrator account

14) Relogin to my non-Administrator account

15) Reconnect to my VPN to ***get back to where I was.

I am at the point where I am about to uninstall BitDefender. 2 weeks have gone by without a resolution. Please let me know how long it might take to resolve this.

The same thing happened with another large site some time ago. And I faced the exact same issue every single day for 1-2 months. This is a recurring issue and it needs to be resolved in a better way. BitDefender ***REALLY*** needs to have an option to not block websites (website blocking should be disabled by default!). This is not just frustrating, it has consequences because non-technical users can't work around it. And technical users, well you can see above the endless minutes wasted in trying to work around this silly issue.

You have a great, lightweight product, which is why I've come to this forum instead of switching to a different product. Please help, both with:

1) Providing an adequate timeframe in which such issues are resolved

2) Seeking to find a long-term resolution to this issue, not just a short-term fix

This is my last effort to try to find a resolution before I switch to another product, on all my computers.

Comments

• Proper actions will be taken automatically for each case and an answer will be provided via email as soon as possible (depending on the number of samples or complexity)

Hi, that's a post from Christian. I suggest just make sure you got yours updated constantly. I mean the version. 1.gif

• Hi, that's a post from Christian. I suggest just make sure you got yours updated constantly. I mean the version. 1.gif

Thanks. My BitDefender version is "1.0.21.1099" and says it was "Last Updated: 9/16/2014."

Is there a way to manually update it? I don't see anything on the suggested manual update page at http://bitdefender.com/site/view/Desktop-P...ts-Updates.html.

• Rohugh
    Options

That is the latest version as far as I know.

• Thanks. My BitDefender version is "1.0.21.1099" and says it was "Last Updated: 9/16/2014."

Is there a way to manually update it? I don't see anything on the suggested manual update page at http://bitdefender.com/site/view/Desktop-P...ts-Updates.html.

As Rohugh wrote, you have the latest software version, which has remained the same for almost a year (since October 24, 2013). However, the fact that your last update was before you reported the false positive probably explains why you still encounter that problem. As stridert wrote, updates (reported as virus signatures updates) are frequent, but they have an update version (which you may see within the LOGS*), the last I have is 7.57089. I believe this number this corresponds to the engine version in Bitdefender Total Security. The number signatures may increase or decrease with the updates; I have 6301910 with the last update but is was over 10000000 not so long ago. I think Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition may check for updates automatically every hour (or maybe every two hours), but there can be other factors involved (connectivity is certainly one!). As far as I know, the only way to force Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition to update is to repair the software.

*Oddly enough, when I receive an update it overwrites the log from the previous update, so I loose the record for the previous update, and may this may break the chronological order within the reported events.

• As Rohugh wrote, you have the latest software version, which has remained the same for almost a year (since October 24, 2013). However, the fact that your last update was before you reported the false positive probably explains why you still encounter that problem. As stridert wrote, updates (reported as virus signatures updates) are frequent, but they have an update version (which you may see within the LOGS*), the last I have is 7.57089. I believe this number this corresponds to the engine version in Bitdefender Total Security. The number signatures may increase or decrease with the updates; I have 6301910 with the last update but is was over 10000000 not so long ago. I think Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition may check for updates automatically every hour (or maybe every two hours), but there can be other factors involved (connectivity is certainly one!). As far as I know, the only way to force Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition to update is to repair the software.

*Oddly enough, when I receive an update it overwrites the log from the previous update, so I loose the record for the previous update, and may this may break the chronological order within the reported events.

Thanks. I checked the logs, and I have update version 7.56834 (signature number 6102923). The last update before that (if I recall correctly from memory) was about 5-6 days prior, so I'm surprised it hasn't been updated in so long. Can anyone confirm whether they have a newer update or signature number.

Also, how do I initiate a repair?

Thanks a lot of the information all!

• Rohugh
    Options

Start>All Programs>Bitdefender Free Edition>Repair or Remove.

Choose repair, let it complete and then reboot the computer.

• Thanks. I checked the logs, and I have update version 7.56834 (signature number 6102923). The last update before that (if I recall correctly from memory) was about 5-6 days prior, so I'm surprised it hasn't been updated in so long. Can anyone confirm whether they have a newer update or signature number.

Thanks a lot of the information all!

The last update I have now is version is 7.57092, the signature number is 6304659. To repair the software, go to Windows' Control Panel, select Programs and Features, and then select Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition. When I chose to repair it failed and I had to restart Windows so that the process of repairing that resumed automatically could be done successfully.* When the repair process finished, I think I waited for it to complete updating before I restarted Windows again. You should not need to repair to simply force an update. I repaired my system when I had a problem displaying the LOGS window.

*I believe this is because Bitdefender's service has to be stopped before the software can be changed.

• I just got this:

Bitdefender has updated its virus signatures.

The update version is 7.57093.

The signature number is 6305163.

Updates may be received every hour!* Soon enough that will not be the latest update.

*But this has no bearing on when or how Bitdefender releases updates, i.e., updates are not necessarily produced every hour.

• bitdefenderfalsepositive
    Options
    Start>All Programs>Bitdefender Free Edition>Repair or Remove.

Choose repair, let it complete and then reboot the computer.

I logged into my Admin acct and initiated a repair. Within a minute, I got a message saying "Repair failed."

I didn't restart the machine (I'm in the middle of several things and restart my machine only once in 5 months. Restarting is not an option right now--unless it's for REMOVING this product for my machine completely. I'm not restarting just to repair this product to force an update; seems super-silly).

Anyway, thanks all for all your help.

My conclusion remains: BitDefender really needs to have an option to NOT BLOCK WEBSITES/DOMAINS OUTRIGHT. Welcome to Frustration City, Population: 1000000000000.

• bitdefenderfalsepositive
    Options

I've decided to uninstall this product because this is a recurring, frustrating issue and has wrecked my workflow + wasted my time, significantly, at least twice in the past year. Hopefully, my explanation and resulting action will make BitDefender think more carefully about how to deal with this issue for the long-term.

Thanks to all those who tried to help. Majorly appreciated!