Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Does Bitdefender Total Security 2015 Overlap Mbam Pro ?

Good day.

There are several suggestions on the forum to disable MBAM real-time protection during running BD products.

Also a general Bitdefender advice is not to use any other security software together.

Question:

Does Bitdefender protection level overlap MBAM ?

As of my experience with avast! internet security running alongside MBAM - some of MBAM alerts did not caught by avast!.

Thus I am quite confused with products positioning themselves as anti-virus and anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-fishing, etc ...

From the above perspective I decided to stay with additional layer of protection. Am I right ? Not sure.

From my point of view any developer statement like our software is one-size-fits-all should take responsibility on the consequences of such action.

Or other way is to provide compatibility with at least most popular software on the market.

Also as of now I did not experience any apparent conflicts with MBAM alongside BD.

Thanx and BRGDS

- V

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited November 2014

Hiya,

You are correct in saying Bitdefender does not recommend running other security software alongside, if you have problems the first advice is to un-install other antimalware programs. I do not run any active antimalware programs with BD (infact you cannot even run the Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool if you have their AV installed), a monthly check with an antimalware program has never found anything untoward which shows me that Bitdefender is doing its job.

However, the choice is yours, many have no problems with running programs together although I have noticed a bit of chatter in various forums recently about MBAM causing problems.

Ro.

• The reason I have concern is I am not a professional in that area.

Seeking an advise from pros is the only way to find out, am I acting wrong or right.

And I guess it is reasonable to find out am I using product effectively since I did pay some above average amount of money.

It is obvious that Bitdefender developers trying hard to minimize their product impact on system performance and wish not to ruin that effort with usage of un-necessary software.

For the moment I cannot find any adequate answer about why should I use solely BD without any other security software.

The statement that it is just so because we want it to be so is not enough since product is Security related.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

I am one of those who Rohugh referenced that run Bitdefender 2015 Total Security, Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I prefer a "layered approach" to security. I have

added program exceptions to the MBAM and BD-TS to do my best to ensure that they play nicely together. I haven't had any issues.

I am a daily visitor to the MBAM Forums, and it is my sense that BD and MBAM are only somewhat complementary. Both will identify some threats in common, but each specializes in their own area of

combatting the viruses, PUPS, Trojans, malware, etc., that are out there in cyberspace. MBAM does recommend running a good virus scanner and states quite clearly that MBAM is not an anti-virus solution and

that users should have one.

In working on other folks' computers that did not have MBAM installed, I usually run their anti-virus scanner first, followed by an MBAM scan. The anti-virus solution usually finds something if the computer is

infected, but MBAM then finds stuff that was not detected by their anti-virus solution. I can't say that would happen with Bitdefender, because I have never witnessed it happening on my computers, but I tend

to practice "safe hex."

Rohugh is correct that there were some issues with MBAM slowing down Chrome when used with Bitdefender, but that issue has since been resolved with the newest build of MBAM. Of course, there is always

the potential for issues, given the nature of how these types of programs work, and how they try to protect themselves from being disabled by what they think might be "rogue" software.

I would advise continuing with MBAM, but if you have issues, then do as Rohugh has suggested and uninstall MBAM or disable the real-time protection (if using the Premium version). You will quickly be able

to determine is MBAM is the culprit and seek assistance on the MBAM Forums.

Hope this helps. Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• bduser2015
    edited November 2014

Thanx for your attention Phil.

While I still have some doubts about leaving Bitdefender alone I will most probably discontinue using MBAM alongside BD.

Forgot to mention I have also "cookie fighter" SAS Pro running. Which also do not show obvious sigs of conflict.

Some of my observations during intentional "wrong" web site surfing I noticed Bitdefender blocks all malicious web sites before MBAM.

Same situation with another AV suite did things quite opposite. That leads me to think BD is quite enough. Especially taking into account good browsing hygiene and "common sense" (aside from "testing" purpose on a not vital/production PC).

Sadly I have more than a half year subscription left with MBAM and that other AV suite. But guess I can handle it out :)

off-topic: time to consider right OS which do not push me to make such an unwilling purchases :)

P.S.

would be nice for developers to allow enabling option not to bother with scary tray signs and warnings while some of the AV/AM features disabled.

Same would lead me to just disable MBAM real-time protection.